Monday, December 30, 2019

Ham Puffs - a recipe rerun for New Year's

This is the best week, isn't it? The week between Christmas and New Year's?

(Unless you work in retail... Then it can be a bear!)

But this year our weather has been mild and hubby had time off, so I took the week off from most of my work projects, and we've enjoyed spending time at home and in the Hills. What can be better?

Christmas Day was quiet - just four of us, two dogs and a cat. Since we're having our family celebration on New Year's, we spent Christmas playing board games, working on a jigsaw puzzle, and opening a few presents.

But I didn't cook a big dinner. We had sweet and savory snacks, just a few of the favorites. One of the recipes I used was one I shared here six years ago. I'm glad I found it - I had forgotten about it!

Ham Puffs

Ingredients:
4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
1 can deviled ham (or deli ham, chopped fine)
1 Tablespoon minced onion
1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 tube crescent roll dough

Notice supper cooking in the crock-pot...chicken for chicken tacos!
And I was going to add the mushrooms to the ham puffs, but they were voted down
by my mushroom-hating family :(


Mix the cream cheese and other ingredients (except crescent roll dough) together. You can do it by hand (that's what I did), or you can use a blender or food processor.



Don't forget the hot pepper sauce. We have several varieties around our house, but this is the one I used:

Unroll the crescent roll dough and separate into four rectangles.



Spread 1/4 of the cream cheese mixture on each rectangle and roll up jelly-roll style, from the long edge.



Cut each roll into five slices...



 ...and place them on an un-greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 8-10 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.



Let them cool slightly before serving.


These little puffs are perfect for the kind of snacking we love to do while playing board games!

Enjoy your New Year's, and best wishes for a wonderful year to come!



Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com

6 comments:

  1. Jan, I'd forgotten how much fun and how easy this recipe is. Thank you for the reminder!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! I love deviled ham. I would love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We finished up the leftovers with a hot bowl of soup on Friday. Delicious!

      Delete
  3. This recipe will be a winner for get togethers with finger foods. Thank you for sharing, Jan. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year with your family's celebration.

    ReplyDelete