Tuesday, December 17, 2019

My Most Favorite Holiday Recipe

Yes, just in time for this last week before Christmas, I'm going to share my most favorite recipe of the holiday season. I discovered this recipe more than twenty years ago and have used it every year since. Even if you're not a cook, you can still make your whole house smell as if you've been baking up a storm. It will smell like Christmas.

Oh, and did I mention it can double as a perfect gift idea, too?

This is my holiday scent I always have simmering on the stove from Thanksgiving till New Year's. And it's super simple. 

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 orange
  • 1 lemon
  • 3 cinnamon sticks
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1/4 cup whole cloves
Now simply quarter the fruit and put two wedges of each into a large saucepan along with the spices and a quart of water. You can save the rest of the fruit for another batch later. Bring to a slight boil and then turn heat to a simmer. Add more water as necessary. 

That's it! It will last for several days. Simply put a lid on it and refrigerate overnight. And as far as giving it as a gift, put all of the ingredients except for the water into a clear cellophane bag, tie with a pretty bow and add a tag with instructions on the back and you're good to go. It's as pretty as it is practical. 
I can't believe Christmas is almost here. A week from today is Christmas Eve. What do you have planned? Does your Christmas center around that one day, or does it spread out over several days like ours usually does? 

Merry Christmas, y'all!

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so fun! I wouldn't have thought of the bay leaves, Mindy. Now I must try it. And if someone is selling a house, having something homey and sweet-smelling is a great enticement to make a favorable impression.

    My house generally smells of wet dog and old socks, depending on who's home at the time. There isn't enough Febreeze in the world to tame farm stuff some days. But this would make me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! This scent will definitely make you smile, Ruthy. Of course, the aromas coming from your kitchen are bound to be delightful anyway.

      Delete
  2. A simmering potpourri! What fun!

    This sounds perfect for Christmas Eve. I know what I'm putting on my grocery list for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound lovely. I used to simmer water with some cinnamon sticks in it but after too many scorched pans I gave up. lol Do you think it would work in a crockpot? That way I wouldn't have to risk burning the house down. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I think it would work fine in a crockpot on low or warm. Just make sure it doesn't boil continually.

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm. This sounds amazing, Mindy. I love simmering citrusy things. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, this will make your whole house smell wonderful.

      Delete