Friday, December 6, 2019

A Kentucky Tradition from the Belle: Spoon Bread

Missy Tippens

I made an old favorite from my childhood for Thanksgiving: Spoon Bread!

I imagine some of you haven't even heard of it.  The way I remember first having spoon bread was at Boone Tavern in Berea, Kentucky. Boone Tavern is on the campus of Berea College. I was reminded of it recently when I passed by Berea while attending my uncle's funeral in Frankfort.

Berea College was the South's first interracial and coeducational college. As their sign says: "Charging no tuition, Berea admits promising Appalachian student with limited economic resources. All students work in campus jobs, such as serving at the college's hotel."


Our family would visit there when I was a child, and we would eat in the hotel. I remember students being the waiters. And I remember, especially, the spoon bread!




Click here for the recipe from the Kentucky Living Magazine website.

Basically, it's just white cornmeal, milk, eggs, melted butter, salt and baking powder.

You cook the cornmeal with the milk into a thick oatmeal-like (grits-like!) consistency. Then you let it totally cool. Once cool, you add it to the eggs and melted butter, etc.


The recipe requires 15 minutes of mixing! So I made it in my stand mixer so I could let it go while I did other things.




You can see it starts out as a glue-like blob.



But it gets smoother and smoother.


Once it was finished in the mixer, I baked it in a buttered Corningware dish.


Here it is fresh out of the oven. You want to wait until the last minute to bake it because it's served hot, spooned out of the dish, with creamy butter. And you want that butter to melt!

I love this dish! I hadn't had it in many years and really enjoyed making it for Thanksgiving. I hope you'll give it a try. I think you'll love it like I do!


Missy Tippens was born and raised in Kentucky. These days, she lives outside Atlanta with her husband and daughter (and middle son for another week or so). You can find her books at www.missytippens.com.

12 comments:

  1. Missy, I didn't know how much I'd love corn pudding until I tried it, so I'm game to try this, too! What an absolutely gorgeous hotel. Oh my stars, it's stunning. And I love that the students wait tables and get a college education. That's a story in and of itself, isn't it?

    Isn't it so much fun to re-incorporate those memories into our new traditions? A blend of old and new, sugar and spice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love corn puddin' (no G when we say it around here). hahaha

      Yes, I love the idea of everyone on campus having a job. I think it's an amazing opportunity.

      Delete
  2. So...I've read about corn pudding in books but never knew what it was. This isn't what I imagined at all! Is it supposed to be a side dish or dessert or breakfast food? And I've never heard of white cornmeal. Ever. There's a great big culinary cultural divide going on between us, Missy! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Kav. Yes, Canada to the southern US is quite a distance. :) This is different from the corn pudding Ruthy mentioned. This has a different texture. You eat it like you would bread--only you use a fork. :)

      Delete
    2. Kav, we love to eat white corn. We used to grow it in our garden: Silver Queen. So the white cornmeal is from the white corn. :)

      Delete
  3. Missy, this sounds wonderful. I've never had spoon bread. Heard of it, but never even seen a recipe. I might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the nice "shout out" about Historic Boone Tavern at Berea College and spoonbread. The College, its students, and the Hotel are all amazing! And, the spoonbread is deliciously so as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, thank so much for stopping by! I really enjoyed seeing the campus again recently. It brought back such good memories of visiting there as a child. It was so good to be back in Kentucky.

      Delete
  5. Oh Missy! I hear about the Berea spoon bread festival every year! We are about 7-8 hours away from there and Jacob's daughter lives there. I went to visit, but not during the festival. Don't some people make it sweet? I always thought of it more like a bread pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, how fun that you might get to go sometime! I've never heard of having it made sweet. But I always had it in Berea or at home, where my dad would make it just like the Boone Tavern recipe. :) But now that you mentioned it, I might try it sometime with maple syrup or molasses added. I've always loved cornbread with molasses or honey on it!

      Delete
  6. Hi, Missy! I've never heard of spoon bread--but now I want to try it. Fifteen minutes of mixing--imagine having to do that by hand--old-timey cooks had some stamina! Loved seeing the photos, too--fascinating!

    ReplyDelete