Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Peanut Clusters - Let the Candy Making Begin

The pumpkin pie is gone. Only the last dregs of turkey and dressing remain. That can only mean one thing.
Yet as the Christmas decorations go up, I find myself craving some of those traditional holiday treats. You know, the cookies, the candy... Those things that only come out this time of year. But when you're up to your elbows in tinsel and twinkling lights, who has time to bake/candy make? If only we could do both. At the same time.

Well, have I got the perfect recipe for you. One where you dump everything into your crockpot and let it do the cooking.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 pkg vanilla almond bark
  • 1 pkg chocolate almond bark
  • 12 oz pkg semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 bar Baker's German Chocolate
  • 35 oz container dry roasted peanuts (This is non-negotiable. Other types of peanuts/nuts won't work in this recipe. Something about the oils.)
Chop barks and chocolate and put everything except the peanuts into your crock.
Cover, turn to low setting and walk away. Seriously. You're free to get back to hauling boxes out of the basement, decorating, reading, whatever. 

After one hour (longer, if you like), stir until smooth. If lumps remain, replace lid and let it go a while longer.

Once the chocolate mixture is smooth, stir in your peanuts.
Make sure everything is mixed well.

Then, using a spoon or small scoop, drop dollops, as large or small as you like, onto parchment or waxed paper. 
Allow to set completely before transferring to serving tray or airtight container.
One of the best things about these peanut clusters, besides the whole sweet and salty thing, is that they freeze beautifully. That means you can make them now and store them in the freezer until you need a special treat for a holiday party or if you're entertaining unexpected guests. Of course, you might also sneak one or two for dessert every now and then.

So the tree is up and mostly decorated here at the Obi house. My guys took advantage of the nice weather this weekend to put up the outside lights and decorations. I love all of the twinkling lights, the holiday music, the sights and sounds of the season. Last year at this time, we were hustling to be into our house by Christmas, meaning I didn't get the opportunity to savor many of our usual traditions. And that makes this year even more special. So if my house ends up looking like the North Pole exploded, then so be it. Because I'll love every minute of this blessed season.

It's your turn now. What's going on at your house? Are you decorating yet? Baking/candy making? Shopping? Isn't online retailing wonderful? The way I see it, the more I get done now, the more time I have to sit back and enjoy everything throughout December. 


Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 


11 comments:

  1. We're putting up our Christmas decorations today! The house is beginning to look a lot like Christmas. :-)

    I started using my crock pot to melt chocolate like this a couple years ago, and I won't go back. It's so easy! I'll have to try your blend of chocolates when I make candy in a few weeks.

    Merry Christmas, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, crockpot melting makes life so much easier. Throw in a liner and it's even easier because there's no clean up. Though it is challenging to get all of the chocolate out all those little indentions in the plastic. Still, a couple teaspoons is nothing when there's no cleanup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I enjoy eating those last bits I get out of the plastic liner! haha

      Delete
    2. Shh... You're not supposed to tell anyone, Missy. ;)

      Delete
  3. Mindy, those look wonderful. My husband loves peanut clusters. I don't bake....but this I can do! He'll be so excited ha. Thanks for sharing! I haven't started decorating yet but soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, these are much easier than baking! :)

      Delete
    2. Pat, your husband will love these. And he will be in awe of your candy-making prowess.

      Delete
  4. Mindy, this is one of my favorite things, too! Last year, I decided rather than putting out the candy in small piles, I would just dump it and spread it on silicone mats and parchment paper. Then I broke it into pieces after it cooled. It was so much quicker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I guess you made it more of a bark. I never thought about that, but that's a great idea.

      Delete
  5. My son in Dallas was bragging on the nice weather, Mindy! We have SNOW here... a winter storm with about 4 inches so far and the wind is picking up again. Not a dreadful storm, but definitely enough to make us snowblow the driveway and shovel the walks!

    I love this candy idea... tell me, does the chocolate ever "gray"? I don't like that in candies so I've been using the Ghirardelli dark chocolate melting wafers for coatings but I'd love this combo....

    And Missy, I do it like "bark" too... I love those oblong and triangle and odd-shaped pieces.

    Putting dry roasted nuts on my B.J.'s list. And Dry Roasted almonds, too....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I know your boy is just loving the mild weather. And it's fixing to get even milder. He'll be enjoying the 70s for a couple days this week.

      I know what you mean about graying and no, I've not known these to gray. I'll usually try to bring them to room temperature before serving, as they do sweat some, but no graying. And this combination of chocolate/bark is kind of irresistible.

      Delete