Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Well, November is turning out to be delightfully chilly here on the coastal plains of Texas. Okay, so we were close to 90 early last week, but since then, the cold fronts seem to keep coming and I couldn't be happier. 

Here's a chuckle for you. The weatherman says our fifty-some degree highs are winter temperatures in our area, not fall. Winter, fall... I don't really care, as long as they stick around for a while, because I'm happily welcoming all of these cold weather foods back into my meal rotation. Like a hearty Loaded Baked Potato Soup.

This soup is a crowd pleaser. It’s warm, delicious... Perfect for a chilly day.

Here's what you'll need:

  • 4 large baking potatoes
  • 2/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 6 cups milk
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
  • 1 generous cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 10 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 8 oz. sour cream
We’ll start with the star of this dish, the potatoes.

Gently scrub them, then prick several times with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for 40-60 minutes or until yielding when lightly squeezed. When done, set aside until cool enough to handle. Then slice in half lengthwise and scoop insides into a bowl, reserving or discarding skins.

**Mindy's tip #1: If you have leftover baked potatoes, this is the perfect way to use them up. Best of all, they’re already baked.

**Mindy's tip #2: The leftover potato skins make the perfect appetizer. Simply fill them with grated cheese and pop them into the oven until the cheese is melted. Then top the cheese with bacon, sour cream, chili, whatever you like.

Now on with the show.

Melt butter in a Dutch oven over low heat. Once completely melted, add flour and stir until smooth.
Using a whisk will ensure there are no lumps.

Cook butter/flour mixture for one minute, stirring constantly, then gradually add your milk.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly, 5-10 minutes.

Stir in potato, salt and pepper, cheese, bacon and 2 tablespoons green onions.

Cook over medium-low heat until heated through. 

Stir in sour cream and cook just until heated. Do not boil.
Sprinkle servings with additional cheese, bacon and green onions, if desired.
Yum! Just look at those chunks of potato.

Pretty easy, huh? Sure, it takes a little time, but the results are worth it. Bake your potatoes ahead of time, though, and you’re half way there. Cook your bacon in advance, and you’re even closer. By the way, I recommend using real, home-cooked bacon for this recipe. Jarred/bagged bacon bits simply aren’t the same. Trust me.

This cooler weather has me eager for the holidays. Actually, I've been looking forward to them all year. Last year at this time, we were still living in the camphouse while we waited for renovations to be completed on the big house. Since we didn't move in until December 15th, I didn't have the opportunity to savor the holidays. This year, Lord willing, I want to sit back and appreciate this blessed season and all the fun, chaos and merriment that goes along with it. And the sooner the better.

Now it's your turn. What are some of your favorite cold-weather dishes? And what are you looking forward to most this holiday season?


Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 


19 comments:

  1. ***BREAKING NEWS*** It is snowing here on the coastal plains of Texas. Woot, woot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just about to comment that my friend in San Antonio said she took her students out to play in it!

      Delete
    2. Mary Cate, we didn't have anyway near enough to play in. But it sure was fun to watch it fall.

      Delete
  2. SNOWING!?!?! Yay! That should really get you into the winter spirit! (I can't say Christmas yet...not before Thanksgiving!)

    This soup looks fabulous! I'll be saving this recipe on Pinterest. It will be a good one to have sometime in the next week.

    And yes, we're definitely late fall here - temperatures in the teens at night, but we have a warm spell the next two days in front of the next cold front. Temperatures in the 50's...that's definitely warm for us. *grin*

    Our favorite cold weather foods are soups and stews, hands down. Add some yummy bread and a salad, and we're golden.

    Have fun with your snow, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, the snow was a very pleasant surprise. It does ramp up the holiday spirit.

      I love beef stew with fresh homemade bread. Sigh. Comfort food to the max.

      Delete
  3. My stomach is growling and my mouth is watering! But I'm afraid my Weight Watchers app would explode!! LOL!!

    Mindy, this look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you can save this recipe for when you take a night off of WW. ;-)

      Delete
  4. This looks so delicious, Mindy. Yay for cold weather foods. And snow in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yummy! (sans bacon!) I've never had potato soup and this sounds fabulous. Looks good for a potluck...I could pair up with somebody and they could bring the cooked bacon and we could mix it up after I take my portion out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav you could even cheat a little and get the precooked bacon bits made from real bacon and just sprinkle it in.

      Delete
    2. Kav, that sounds like a plan. With you being Irish, this soup is certainly up your alley.

      Delete
    3. Kav, I love potato soups and chowders... we Celtic girls have to love our potatoes!

      Delete
  6. I talked to someone in TX just yesterday that told me you guys got a cold front he TX! He told me it was too cold. One of our offices is located in TX and one if their IT guys was here when we got a day of snow. Not going to lie it made me snicker a little. I am still not ready for full blown snow. That could hold off until after the 1st of December. Loaded potato soup is on my list of things to make. Just have not gotten around to it. This is saved in my phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, most Texans cannot handle winter weather. A half inch of snow has them closing school. Of course, more often than not, it's ice that we get and that's just plain nasty no matter where you're from. But snow, that's an event. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm late getting here, but I saw this and had to check it out.... oh, this is my kind of winter dinner! A baked potato soup with BACON.... I am so happy now! I can't wait to try this, Mindy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, we both know that bacon makes most everything better.

      Delete