Monday, September 23, 2019

Moving: my own personal treasure hunt

Jan here, happily ensconced on Heaven's Back Porch...

Jack on Evening Deer Patrol

I was reminded this summer (over and over again!) that moving is never easy, no matter how well prepared you think you are! It's been a rough go since the beginning of April, and we aren't done yet!

But we're getting settled in. Jack is establishing his own place in our abbreviated family (empty nesters!) And I'm making headway on my next book with the deadline of October 1st.

So, even though I should be writing instead of chatting here at the Cafe, I have to tell you (again) about this fabulous drink I discovered about six years ago.

Why now? Because I found my french press and bag of cocao nibs in the back of a cupboard when I was packing in June, and found them again when I was unpacking a week or so ago! I told you that moving is a treasure hunt! I've fallen in love with this drink again. (My first post about brewed chocolate was from 2013 - you can read it here.)

Basically, this drink is hot chocolate, but made like coffee. I have never learned to like coffee - although I make up for it with my addiction to Earl Grey - but this stuff is...well...South American Ambrosia!



When I first discovered brewed cocao, I drank it straight. Now I add a teaspoon of stevia sweetener and a tablespoon of cream. YUM!

You can buy cocao nibs on Amazon here, but I found my most recent bag at my favorite bulk foods store, E&S Sales in Shipshewana, Indiana. I paid $1.14 for a pound. Yes, you read that right!

I brew the chocolate in a french press reserved just for this drink.


Four tablespoons of ground cocao nibs, about twelve ounces of boiling water, and 12-15 minutes brewing time. You can use the cocao nibs two or three times, so go ahead! Brew as many batches as you want!


And did I mention how healthy it is? Antioxidants and everything!

And it is so chocolaty!

I think I'll go brew another cup right now!

Meanwhile, like I said, Jack is settling into our home and our lives. Here are some gratuitous puppy pictures:


He's a fluffy, friendly little guy who loves to play and cuddle. But he's still a baby. He spends much of his day like this:


Next spring he'll be grown enough to hike with us in the Hills, but until then it's eating and sleeping!




Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-seven year




13 comments:

  1. Jan, that first photo is just stunning.
    I just realized it reminds my of an Andrew Wyeth print my mother had called Christina's World. Different view, but similar pose.

    I've been thinking of this drink, so thank you for posting. I've had to give up hot cocoa because of all the sugar and fat, but this sounds delightful as an alternative. Now if only the weather would cooperate. First day of autumn and we're still hitting 90. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - that photo does look a bit like Christina's World. One of my favorites from Andrew Wyeth!

      We had hot weather last week - into the 90's - and my reaction was the same: UGH!

      But as I was looking for my first post about this hot chocolate, I found a post I wrote in September 2013. Guess what I wrote about? Hot summer-like weather in September! Less than a month later we had one of our worst storms ever - on October 4th and 5th. A terrible blizzard they called Atlas. Ranchers are still trying to recover from the losses from that storm.

      But it's beautiful fall weather here this week - high's in the 70's!

      Delete
  2. I am in love with chocolate, with the view, and with Jack of the Black Hills. OH MY STARS....

    So precious.

    Sleep well, pup.

    Sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with all those things too, Ruthy!

      We ended up taking Jack for a hike this morning after all. We live near a short trail, and I made a puppy carrier out of an old t-shirt so he wouldn't have to climb over the more rugged spots. He loved it! And we sure appreciate being able to go out for a short hike and back home in under and hour. *happy sigh*

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious, Jan! And Jack is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good! But not at all like the usual hot chocolate. :-)

      Delete
  4. Jan, this looks absolutely delicious. I'm a tea girl like you, but what a treat to have hot chocolate without all the sugar. I just might have to add a French press to my Christmas list. Just as soon as I start one, that is.

    And that puppy... Jack is so cute. And I love how his back legs lay out behind him. Our Maddie does that, too. It's so childlike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to try it, Mindy! It's definitely a treat and ON PLAN for THM!

      And aren't all puppies cute? He's just a joy to have around.

      Delete
  5. Those puppy pictures make me grin! I want to scoop him up and smoosh his fuzz off! :-) You have me searching for corgis in my area. We're in the middle of a muggy heat wave so I'm putting a hold on all things cocoa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A corgi (or corgi mix) might be just the dog for you, Kav! They're herding dogs like your beloved Simba, but the short legs make them more city-friendly. Don't be fooled, though - they aren't small dogs. They're medium sized dogs with short legs! They still need plenty of exercise and attention. :-)

      And "boo" to the heat wave! But you know how it goes. Soon everything will be snow and icy cold and we'll be waiting for spring!

      Delete
    2. Shhhh....no snow until I get my garden sorted. My gardening eyes were bigger than my gardening joints this year. :-) My first dog was a corgi mix? Might have been purebred. Looked exactly like a corgi but with a sheltie length coat so I thought she might have been a corgi/sheltie mix. She was a rescue -- best dog ever!!!! I'm on the hunt.

      Delete
    3. Ack -- the going rate for a corgi in my area is between $2000 - $3000!!!!!!!! Definitely going the rescue route.

      Delete
  6. That drink looks really yummy and Jack looks just like our Corgi! He stands guard at night and pretty much sleeps all day in between begging for treats.

    ReplyDelete