Wednesday, September 4, 2019

A Seafood Take on Shepherd's Pie

Remember a few weeks ago I was raving about the Shepherd's Pie I had on my birthday?

Ever since, I've had this idea to make a seafood version, but I was deep in revisions and didn't want to take the time to cook.

But on Friday, my Fenway was having surgery to have a tumor removed from his leg. I wasn't really doing too well concentrating on writing, but once I knew surgery had been successful, it was time to cook.



Warning: I was loosely following a recipe, but emphasis on loosely.


Apologies in advance: I was distracted, so the photos really aren't the best quality.


First I cooked some haddock. I made two pieces so Fenway could have some for dinner. My Tennessee dog loves him some fish!

The recipe called for poaching it in milk, but I did it a little differently. I wrapped it in parchment paper and foil and baked it. Then, when it was done, I simmered it in the milk/wine mixture for a bit.

The recipe called for mixing white wine and milk, but that had me a bit wary. Some Googling suggested that you simmer the wine first, then add the milk at the last minute, so that's what I did. Oh, and I added in a nice big lump of butter and some garlic. I also tossed in some corn (because it seemed like the right thing to throw in).






And then there are the potatoes.

I do NOT recommend doing what I did for this part. 

I had some beautiful Russet potatoes, so I baked them. But because I was distracted waiting for the vet to call for me to pick up Fenway, I left them baking way too long. They tasted wonderful, but I lost a lot of potato because they shriveled and stuck to the skin.




I'm torn, because last time I used red potatoes and boiled them, but they didn't taste as good. So maybe the key is Russet, but not cooked as long.

Anyway, cook and mash your favorite potatoes. I also added some chunks of cooked potatoes to the fish/corn mix.

If you have a pretty ceramic dish, ladle the fish mixure in. I didn't have one small enough for one, so I used a pie tin. Then spoon the mashed potatoes on top. If you want to be really fancy, you can pipe them on, but I wasn't in that frame of mind. *worried about my pup*






The result tasted SO much better than I expected. You can also add in some other kinds of seafood like shrimp or lobster.

My brave boy. He hates that cone!






7 comments:

  1. Poor Fenway. The cone of shame is never fun. Even if it is for their own good.

    Mary Cate, why did you choose to bake the potatoes instead of boiling them, since mashed potatoes are usually boiled? Just curious. But fish, corn and garlic sure sound yummy to me. I'd be happy to try this shepherd's pie. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mindy,

      Mainly because I was preoccupied with Fenway and didn't want to take the time to peel them, but also because the potatoes I used were actually baking potatoes.
      Also, I had boiled the potatoes the previous week and they didn't taste all that great.

      Delete
  2. Ah, poor baby!!!! How long does he have to keep the cone on? After five dogs, I've actually never had to use one. Speedy recover, Fenway! Hope he enjoyed his fishy treat. And what a trooper, already up and walking around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ten days - until the stitches are out. But because he's shown no interest in biting at his bandage, I take the cone off when I'm with him.

      Delete
  3. So glad surgery was successful! He will forget about the cone after it is off! I think your seafood would make a great pot pie! That is what shepherds pie makes me think of. Something about mashed potatoes as a crust doesn't tickle me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny because the mashed potato crust was my favorite part. I'm sure pie crust (or the Ritz cracker crumble from last week) would taste great.

      Delete
  4. Fenway!!! Poor baby! I hope he's feeling better each day.

    Mary Cate, I don't think I've ever heard of poaching in milk. Very interesting!! I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete