Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Cookies-and-Cream-Filled Cupcakes

Mindy here, and between deadlines and preparing to head off to the annual ACFW Conference in San Antonio, I have not done a lot of cooking. And definitely no baking. But that doesn't mean I don't dream about it. Since I've been dreaming of cupcakes, I thought we'd revisit these indulgent Cookies-and-Cream-Filled Cupcakes I share a few years ago.

I started with my favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. You can find that recipe here. Once the cupcakes have cooled, core out a little belly button in the center of the cupcake. You can use a cupcake corer (which you can see at the back of this photo - they're inexpensive and easy to use) or apple corer or a knife. Whatever works for you. 



For the filling, you will need:
  • 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
  • 4 oz. butter, salted or unsalted (I only had unsalted, so that's what we went with)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 12 Double Stuff Oreos, pulverized
First, to take care of the Oreos. And no, that does not mean eating them. The recipe only calls for 12, so there are plenty left in the package for eating. Preferably with a nice cold glass of milk. :)

I put the 12 in my food processor and pulsed them until they were where I wanted them. Nice and crumbly, but not powdered. If you don't have a food processor, a zip-top plastic bag and a rolling pin can achieve the same results. Not to mention remove any pent up frustrations you might have.
Next, cream the butter and cream cheese. Add the vanilla. Then slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
 
Fold in the crushed cookies.
 Sample the fruits of your labor.

Mmmmm...

Now the recipe says to use the filling immediately or refrigerate until ready to use. Of course, if you do this, it will get stiff. Since our cupcakes were waiting to have their tummies filled, I spooned the filling to a disposable decorator bag with the tip cut off to give me an opening that was just the right size for the holes I was filling. This didn't take long and got the job done with no mess at all.
However, once they were filled, I had to figure out what to frost them with. I mean what kind of frosting goes well with cookies and cream filling. My son suggested cookies and cream frosting, but I asserted my veto power. Instead, I opted for the chocolate frosting Ruthy touted in one of her posts. (recipe here)

Yet for as wonderful as the frosting was, it was a little overpowering for the filling. Next time, I think I will just dip the tops in a simple layer of ganache. Because, after all, the filling really is the star of the show.
I gotta say, the filling really is amazing. And what a way to wow your friends. So what do you think? Are cookies-and-cream-filled cupcakes worth a try?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

8 comments:

  1. I wish I could join you for a cupcake in San Antonio, Mindy. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, those look amazing!

    I'll see you soon in Texas, roomie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to gobble up all those cupcakes!!!! I'm so woefully unschmancy when it comes to cake-ish creations. I resolve to make these for the next church potluck thingy I go to. have a blast this week!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, look at your church potlucks as places where you can experiment with new dishes/desserts. It also saves you from having all those cupcakes in your house, saying, "Eat me. Eat me." Well, at least that's what my cupcakes say.

      Delete
  4. How did I forget about these? This reminder is perfect! I bought two of those cupcake corers after you first posted this! :) And I've done other cupcakes, but forgot about the cookies-and-cream cheese filling. Now I will be dangerous and decadent!

    Thank you, Mindy, and I hope you guys all have a great time at the conference. I'm knee-deep in pumpkins and baking and finishing a book, but I'll be thinking of all of you. And San Antonio, which I would love to visit sometime, even without a conference! Godspeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, you were the first one with the cupcake corer. You blogged about it and I think we all went and ordered one. It's a handy, dandy little thing.

      Oh, how I wish I were coming up to your farm. Where it's cooler, colorful and full of yummy treats.

      Delete