Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Another Favorite Fallish Dessert

I grew up in Michigan, so come September, I always think of apples. There was an apple orchard and cider mill just outside of the little town I grew up in. They had the best cider. And paired with one of their fresh cider doughnuts... It was a match made in heaven.

So there's no better way for this former Michigander to celebrate fall--which won't officially arrive until 9/23, but it's fall in my heart--than by putting a twist on a fall favorite, apple crisp, by making it an apple-cherry crisp.
I love fruit desserts, though they vary from season to season. Spring and summer I think of cakes and cobblers, winter is usually pies, but I always associate crisps with autumn. And because there's no crust to worry about, they're so easy.

Here's what you'll need for the filling:
  • 2 1/2 lbs. apples, peeled, cored and cut into cubes (I used Honeycrisp)
  • 1 1/2 cups pitted cherries (frozen works best, but you can also use canned)
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
For the topping:
  • 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans (or nut of your choice)
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Okay, let's start with our filling. Mix together the apples and cherries.
Now add the dark brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
And stir to combine.
Look at those glorious fall colors.

Pour into greased baking dish.
Now for the topping. Combine the flour, brown sugar, pecans, oats, cinnamon and salt.
Add melted butter
And stir until clumps form.
If you're like me, this is where restraint comes in. I could eat this mixture by itself. But then there would be no crisp to my apple crisp.

So go ahead and sprinkle the clumps over the apple/cherry mixture.
Bake 45-55 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
Yes, the heathens got to it before I could take a pic. But then it is oh-so-good while it's piping hot, especially with a melting scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Now that's what I'm talking about. I love the crunch of the topping, the sweetness of the apples and the tart cherries. A perfect combination. Mmm... Can it stay fall forever? Of course, it doesn't feel like fall here in Texas. It's still hot, it's still steamy...yes, summer is lingering. Just like it does every other year. So why not make the most of it by enjoying a fave fall dessert.

Now it's your turn. What's your favorite fall dessert?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.


9 comments:

  1. That apple and cherry combo definitely makes this a Michigan dessert! I spent the second half of last week visiting family in Michigan and the fall colors are just beginning. There's nothing like sunny September days in Michigan!

    My favorite fall dessert? I'm like you - it must be my Michigan roots. Apple anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I think the fall color is one of the things I miss most about Michigan. And probably why I use a lot of faux fall leaves in my fall decorating. Not to mention faux apples. Fortunately, there is nothing faux about this dessert. Just yummy apples and cherries.

      Delete
  2. And I just carted home some apples from the grocery store with visions of my first fall apple crumble dancing in my head. But -- ooohhhh -- the addition of cherries is unexpected and intriguing. I've never had an apple/cherry combo anything! Might have to hold off making my crumble until I can get some cherries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apples and cherries are a yummy combination, Kav. And it sounds like you're another one who equates apples with fall. No wonder this is our favorite season.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, you just made my stomach growl like crazy!! I must try this. I haven't baked a crumble in years.

    It's still steamy here in Georgia as well. It's been in the mid to high 90's and is plain sweltering.

    P.S. I was thinking like you. I could eat through that bowl of topping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The topping would be kind of like granola, wouldn't it, Missy. I mean, if we ate it by itself. And granola is supposed to be healthy, right? Uh, huh. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

      Delete
  4. I'm dyin' here!! Apples and cherries together? That sounds fabulous!! I'm going to have to try that!! I have apples already, so I'm halfway there!
    Missy's so right--Georgia is still way too hot and sweaty--but like you, I've got fall in my heart (love that!!) so I'm going to go hunt up some cherries, crank up the A/C and think crisp autumn thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I like the way you think. We can bump that A/C down and make it feel and smell like fall. At least inside. But who wants to go out when it's hot and sticky anyway? The only thing hot and sticky I want is this apple-cherry crisp.

      Delete