Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Quick and Easy Fall Dessert

September has arrived and, with it, my urge for all things fall.
Sure, it's still hotter'n blue blazes here in Texas, but that doesn't mean I can't surround myself with that autumnal feel.

My youngest son gave me this cute crate last Christmas. And while it has been used for other purposes throughout the year, it's now perfect for a fall apple arrangement.
So as I'm transforming the inside of my house into a fall paradise, I started craving those fallish desserts. Things with apple or pumpkin... Except, I wasn't exactly in the mood to spend a lot of time prepping something either. I wanted easy.

Dump cake to the rescue!

Dump cakes are wonderful things, because you litterally dump everything in the pan and bake it. So prep takes virtually no time at all, they're super easy and they require minimal ingredients. You can also get as creative as you like.

Since I wanted something with the flavors of fall, I started with a can of apple pie filling. Just one because I was making a small dump cake, lest I be tempted to eat half of a 9X13 pan all by myself.
Now, canned apple pie filling can be kind of bland, so I emptied the can into a small bowl, then added about a teaspoon of apple pie seasoning. If you don't have apple pie seasoning (which I wouldn't have had I not received it as a free sample when I order some other spices), just stick with cinnamon, maybe a little nutmeg, if you like.
I stirred the seasoning in instead of sprinkling it on top of the filling after it was in the pan so that the spices would be incorporated evenly. Then I simply "dumped" it into my buttered baking dish.

Next, I sprinkled half of yellow cake mix over the apple mixture. (Remember, I'm making a half batch. Use the entire box for a 9x13. Oh, and two cans of pie filling.)
At this point, I was wishing I'd had a spice cake mix on hand because that would have been really tasty with the apples. So, I did the next best thing. I sprinkled a bunch of cinnamon over the cake mix.
Then I topped that with 6 tablespoons of butter. (That would be a stick and half for a 9x13 pan)
BTW, that one that looks more yellowish than the others in simply an end piece. 

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Cool slightly (or completely) before serving.
Served in a pretty dish, no one would ever think this dessert so simple. The extra spices had those fall flavors shining through in every bite.

I mentioned getting creative with dump cakes. When my boys were in scouts, one of their favorites was the Black Forest Cake version using cherry pie filling and chocolate cake mix. You could do spice cake with peaches or what about pumpkin pie filling? 

I'd better be careful or I'm going to talk myself into another dump cake real soon.

What combinations can you come up with? And is it feeling like fall in your neck of the woods or are you simply longing for it like I am? I sure wish I could head up the Ruthy's farm about now. That place is truly a fall paradise and can't wait to see all her pictures from this year.


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

8 comments:

  1. I'm thinking it took you longer to write about this cake than to make it, Mindy. Now you've got me craving fall desserts and wanting to decorate my house. I love your apple crate!

    Since I love blueberry cake (and I just had blueberries in my cereal), I'm thinking a blueberry pie mix and some vanilla cake with cinnamon sprinkled like in your apple one.

    But I'm really craving that cherry chocolate one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I'm so glad I was able to trigger your cravings. (insert evil laugh) I'm with you on the blueberry pie filling, though I don't think of it as fallish, just plain yummy. And yes, the baking was definitely the longest part of this process. Which can be excruciating once the aroma of those spices starts wafting around the kitchen. Torture, I tell you. Pure torture.

      Delete
  2. I love the fall decorating!! That's something I've never done (other than brief Halloween decorations). I need to at least get the wreath for my front door out of the attic!

    The cake looks so good! And so simple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I never used to decorate for fall either, just Halloween stuff for the kids. But I really enjoy doing the fall stuff now. It's different. A nice change from the same old same that keeps me going until Christmas.

      Delete
  3. Will you kick me out of the cafe if I confess that I haven't seasonally decorated in years? I do seasonally read though. :-) Your pictures look so inviting, I might have to rethink my minimalist approach to decorating. I could at least make an autumn display of fall books. :-)

    And i've never made a dump cake either but you sure make is sound like yummy fun. Love the yummy alternative suggestions too. Might have to try them all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, so long as you at least throw up a piece of holly or make a Christmas tree out of books, you won't be kicked out. Besides, I don't decorate for every season. But since we get no fall color here at the ranch, I have to do something to make it feel like fall. BTW, a dump cake would be perfect for your next church potluck. The hard part would be deciding which kind to make.

      Delete
    2. Ooohhh -- that is a brilliant idea. Though our small groups don't start up until the end of the month. Mind you, I'll have to make a sample cake first. :-) And I was thinking a lemon cake with blueberries would be a nice switch of Cate's suggestion. So many options -- aaaahhhhh!

      Delete
    3. Kav, I love lemon with blueberries. You'll have to let me know how it turns out. I'd skip the cinnamon, though. ;)

      Delete