Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Peach Lentil Salad Farewell to Summer

 

Since this seems to be a week for sharing everything apple, but I'm going to break with the trend and go back to peaches. It's been a hectic start to school, and I really haven't cooked anything, but I was wanting lentils so I dug out this recipe for a repost.

Peach and Lentil Salad

It's almost the last day of summer! Can you believe it?  The solstice is Monday. I don't know where the summer ran off to.

Sp let's take a moment and look back -

My daughter and I had a conversation about how we never would have thought that tomatoes and peaches would go well together, but they really do. I prefer the low acid yellow tomatoes, but my daughter claims the heirloom ones we've been getting at the farmer's market work just as well.

This week I made a lentil peach salad. So refreshing and so delicious. And SO simple.

I've mentioned my sprouted lentils before, but I'll repeat because I think they're so amazing.





They cook in 4 minutes! I made them a little in advance and chilled them in my brand new (keeps things cold) refrigerator. (Update: Ha! I've been doing it wrong. Apparently you were supposed to soak them for hours before the 4 minutes of cooking. OOOPS!)

I sliced the peaches and roasted them for about 5 - 10 minutes.

I used a wonderful medley of red and green lettuces.

Drizzled with some olive oil and red wine vinegar.

So refreshing and delicious on these still-oh-so-hot summer nights.

I think they'd make a great lunch as well.

One night I also sprinkled hemp seeds on top for some additional nutrition.

And here's the beautiful salad.




6 comments:

  1. I never would have thought of using peaches in a salad like this, but your end result looks delicious! I'm going to have to give it a try.

    We've been having summer weather here that last few days, but last night the weather changed. It certainly feels like fall this morning! The humidity is down into the low 30 percent range, and that makes all the difference in the world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're back to summer here too. Darn mosquitoes. They make me want the cooler weather.

      Delete
  2. I love different fruits in salads! You have inspired me to use kale more. Even the hubby is catching on. This reminds me of an apricot salad I have in a cookbook called "What Can I Bring?" Pretty sure the book store knew I was coming. Lol it has been cooling off at night here, but the humidity makes it feel warmer. So I'll keep using my instant pots and cold meals (maybe even this one) until the kitchen no longer feels like and oven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still not convinced about the lentils/peach combo. I think I'd rather have my lentils in a pilaf followed by a peach cobbler. :-) But I do like mandarin oranges in a spinach salad so maybe I should give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I put oranges in my salad nearly every night. Love the mix of green and orange. Must be the Irish in me.

      Delete