Friday, September 20, 2019

Welcome Sourdough Bread Cookbook Author Carroll Pellegrinelli!

I'd like to welcome guest Carroll Pellegrinelli today, whom I met through Debby Giusti! Carroll is sharing a recipe from her new cookbook, Starter Sourdough: The Step-by-Step Guide to Sourdough Starters that is available for pre-order now. Take it away, Carroll...






Sourdough starter is an amazing creation. It can be made from two simple ingredients, flour and water. The fermentation of sourdough extends the shelf life of bread. No one in the entire world will be able to make bread or other baked goods exactly like yours as no two sourdough starters are the same.

Want to learn more about sourdough starters and try more recipes? Order my book “Starter Sourdough – The Step-by-Step Guide to Sourdough Starters” from Amazon at: https://amzn.to/2OIzHAX


Here's a recipe for you today from the new cookbook...





Enjoy!

Note from Missy: I love making sourdough bread and have shared my experience here. But one thing that's tough for me is to throw away the starter as I'm making room to feed it (since I don't bake weekly). So it's wonderful to have recipes to find ways to use that "discarded" starter! I bought my copy and can't wait to get started once it releases October 1st!

Thanks to Carroll for visiting today! 



Carroll Pellegrinelli has been baking for as long as she can remember. Under her mother’s guidance she began creaming her butter and sugars as soon as she could reach the counter. A few years later, in an effort of self-preservation, her father took up bread baking. He found that kneading dough alleviates work-related stress. Carroll soon followed suit and began baking bread too. For almost 20 years Carroll wrote about Desserts and Baking for About.com, which was owned by The New York Times. Combining her love of food and travel, Carroll wrote the first book in a series of adventure travel cookbooks: Travel with the Lee Girls, As they Shop and Eat Their Way Through the South, New Orleans. The book is available on Amazon in paperback and in e-book at https://amzn.to/2DKkln4
Her latest book is a cookbook called: Starter Sourdough – The Step by Step Guide to Sourdough Starters. This book can be found at: https://amzn.to/2OIzHAX

27 comments:

  1. Carroll, thank you so much for being here today. I'm a baker, too, and I love creating new, fun things for my family and friends to try. Can't wait to try this new recipe!

    I have a question for you: Why use sourdough starter for cookies? What does it do to the flavor/texture that makes it more appealing to the consumer?

    Inquiring minds want to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I'm interested, too. I know using it in things like waffles can be like using buttermilk. I think it adds lightness and of course flavor. Maybe it just adds depth of flavor to cookies.

      Delete
    2. I never thought of waffles... I bet that's wonderful, Missy!

      Delete
    3. Sourdough starter adds another flavor dimension to the cookies. Also some people don’t care for overly sweet desserts. Sourdough covers some of that sweetness.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the Cafe, Carroll! I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing your new book and trying all the recipes!

    I was able to make my own sourdough starter once, but it fell victim to a book deadline. I plan to start another one after my current deadline when I can think again!

    I can't wait to try these cookies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I've found my starter to be very forgiving. haha I just fed it this week, and I think it had been 2 weeks or more since I'd last fed it.

      Delete
    2. At first I went through several starters then I realized starters are much more resilient than I thought.

      Delete
  3. Sour dough cookies?! Well now, doesn't that open a whole new culinary world? I'm intrigued -- but chocolate always catches my attention. :-) I'd really like to try making sour dough bread. I've had fair-to-middling success with yeast bread but I haven't tried making my own sour dough bread. Off to check out that Amazon link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Kav! It's very interesting to me!

      Delete
    2. Making sourdough bread isn’t any harder to make than a yeast bread. The only difference is that you make it with a starter.

      Delete
  4. Carroll, I'm so excited about your new cookbook! Woot! And so thrilled that you could be with us today. The cookies sound yummy! I'm excited about making my own starter, although I may have to scream for help if I have problems. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, I'm glad you stopped by! I meant to let you know that we have Carroll here today. :)

      Delete
  5. I’m sorry for being late to join the party. Husband to the airport at 530am EDT. It was extremely busy at my day job. There were way too many airplanes with mechanical difficulties. Got off at noon to drive 3 hours south to visit my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have had a busy day, Carroll! I'm glad you were able to stop by. :)

      Delete
    2. Carroll, you covered Georgia yesterday! So glad you arrived safely at your daughter's house and could finally catch your breath. I enjoyed seeing your comments. We're all learning so much from your blog post!

      Delete
  6. I had a starter years ago that a friend of mine gave me and I used to make delicious chocolate chip bread, but I've never thought to make chocolate chip cookies from a starter. How ingenious!
    Thanks for being with us today, Carroll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me Cate. Sourdough can go in just about anything that calls for flour.

      Delete
  7. Missy, thank you for allowing me to share my cookbook with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carroll, we were thrilled to have you. Thank you for sharing your recipe with us!

      Delete
  8. Just have to add that my hubby, born in San Francisco and raised in the Bay Area, will love having a wife who--at long last--tries her hand baking sourdough bread.

    Thanks, Carroll, for being with us and for writing such a great cookbook. I know there will be more books in the future. Already have your debut, Travel with the LEE GIRLS As They Shop and Eat Their Way Through the South! Packed with lots of tips on New Orleans, where to shop and eat and recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, my husband LOVES the sourdough I've been making. It's been so funny to see how excited he gets about it. He even posted on FB about his (his first post ever). LOL

      Delete
  9. Hey Missy I saw that bread you baked. It looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carroll! I took a sourdough class and got some starter from that chef. I came home and ordered all the supplies and have really enjoyed making it. I love all the folding and shaping. It's really relaxing for me.

      Next step will be to try getting some wheat or rye flours from local mills to play with different flour mixtures (right now I'm just using King Arthur which she said is great about having dependable protein percentages).

      Delete
    2. That sounds great. I’ve got a grain mill on my wish list so I can ground my own flours.

      Delete