Monday, September 16, 2019

A Visit to Amish Country

Hi everyone! Jan here, with a trip to Amish Country where the food is fabulous!

Order this book here!
Last week I told you about Ada, the heroine of my story in the collection, An Amish Christmas Kitchen. 

This week we'll learn a bit about the hero of the story, Matthias Yoder. 

Matthias is a quiet young man, a skilled wood worker, and the newest employee at Ada's family's business, Heritage Amish Furniture in Shipshewana, Indiana. Of course, the business is fictional, but it is based on the many family owned furniture shops in Indiana's Amish Country.

Matthias remembers Ada from their days together at school, but his family moved to Wisconsin soon after they both graduated from the eighth grade. Now that he is back and living in Shipshewana again, he is becoming reacquainted with the old neighborhood. He especially is happy to learn to know Ada again.

Ada's father sees Matthias' talent, and gives the young man more responsibilities. He takes Matthias along on a visit to a customer's house, and then to lunch afterward.

If you're familiar with Shipshewana and the many fabulous restaurants there, you might be surprised that they went to a little nearby town - Topeka, Indiana - to a restaurant that isn't as well known among the tourists.


Tiffany's is usually busy. There are some four-top tables, but most of the tables are long, with at least fifteen chairs on each side. Groups sit where they can, and often strike up conversations with the folks sitting nearby - strangers or not.

To do a lunch at Tiffany's justice, you need to start with the salad bar (it comes with your meal!) Matthias did, and filled his plate.




Next is the main course.

Matthias ordered roast beef and mashed potatoes. The last time we were there, I ordered the chicken and noodles while my dear husband got a turkey Manhattan.



Both are delicious!


And you can't leave without pie. You just can't!

You can choose from a dozen kinds, made fresh each day. We chose pecan...


...and custard.


You know the pie is good when your plate ends up looking like this!


Matthias enjoyed lunch at Tiffany's with his employer. He came away from the meal with...well...I better not tell you. I don't want to spoil the story!

But there's a problem when you write a scene during a meal for your characters...I've been craving a Tiffany's lunch ever since then! We haven't stopped in Topeka during our last couple trips to Indiana.

What about you? Do you think you'd enjoy an occasional Amish style meal? I know I do!



Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-seven years.



9 comments:

  1. I need a trip to Amish country just to be a sightseer who enjoys the look and the feel and the good food! :) I am determined. I breezed through on a Sunday to get Maggie Mae, our new Goldendoodle, but of course nothing was open in Lancaster area.... So a weekday trip is in order, Jan.

    I'm looking at the chicken and noodles... mashed and gravy.... chicken and gravy. I love gravy. I absolutely love it and this looks marvelous.

    AND PIE.

    I sneaked in a homemade cherry pie for my crew this weekend, between baking for the pumpkin patch.... I want them to feel loved, and pie is a sign of love! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy you and I sing the same tune! I LOVE gravy! So much lol however my husband doesn't, but that's ok! More for me :)

      Delete
    2. O-o-o-h-h! The gravy! Ruthy, you forgot dressing and gravy!

      Delete
  2. I live in Ohio, so I've had my share of great Amish food. I miss it! I haven't been in a long time. My grandma used to take me a lot, and it looked just like those plates. The salad bar was always our favorites along with pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy!

      Those Amish restaurants have the greatest salad bars, don't they? You'll have to plan a special lunch and relive memories with your grandma!

      Delete
  3. One of my students was talking to me today about his annual treks through Lancaster County. He really enjoys the visits.

    You've got me hungry and my dinner isn't ready yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get very hungry when I write these scenes in my books!

      Delete
  4. Oh, yummy, Jan!! I want to go there!

    You know, I've never heard of a turkey Manhattan! What exactly is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A "Manhattan" can be made out of chicken, turkey, or beef. You make a sandwich with the meat, drop a generous spoonful of mashed potatoes on top, then cover everything with gravy. Delicious!

      I was a bit disappointed last week - our usual tour around Indiana's Amish Country took us past Tiffany's restaurant too early to grab lunch there. :-( But we made up for it at Das Essenhaus!

      Delete