Monday, September 2, 2019

Happy Labor Day!

Today is Labor Day, the traditional end to the summer.

This guy isn't anxious for summer to end. He loves
this year's green grass!
When I was young, we always went back to school the day after Labor Day, so for me the holiday meant new school supplies, new books, a new teacher, and the anticipation of the year ahead.

As I got older, Labor Day took on that end of summer nostalgia, with the new knowledge that what happened during the summer this year would never happen again. Next year we would be older, we might have different friends and different interests. Carpe Diem!

As an adult, Labor Day became a minor holiday, mostly because my husband usually had to work on that day. So we didn't make any big plans...it was just another day.

But what is Labor Day really all about? I found this quote on the Department of Labor website:

"The vital force of labor added materially to the highest standard of living and the greatest production the world has ever known and has brought us closer to the realization of our traditional ideals of economic and political democracy. It is appropriate, therefore, that the nation pays tribute on Labor Day to the creator of so much of the nation's strength, freedom, and leadership – the American worker."

So today, let's celebrate the American worker!

And by the way, did you know that today is the 125th celebration of Labor Day???

Have a great day!




Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-seven years.

5 comments:

  1. I spent labor day dreading the return to school! lol No excited anticipation for me -- just stomach churning horror. Every single year. :-) Enjoy your beauteous view this labor day, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of my anticipation stemmed from the fact that I was able to have access to the school library again! I think I read every book in that place in the seven years I went to that school.

      Have a great day, Kav. And yes, I'm working at my desk today, with that wonderful view out my window!

      Delete
  2. Jan, thanks for the history lesson! Very interesting!

    Since we just spent the weekend away, we're enjoying at day at home to rest. Our daughter has a friend here, and we just enjoyed carryout barbecue for lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, thank you for posting this! I loved getting back to school. Summer vacation wasn't exactly a joyous occasion for us and it was so good to get back to my routine, my books, and school was halfway to the library, so by the time I was nine or ten, I'd walk the extra five or six blocks, get my books and then walk home... and it was so nice to carry those books home.

    Labor Day now is a farm day with folks (not too many yet, that will be next weekend) stopping to stack pumpkins, to have fun, to drink in the peace of a farm and to chat with whoever is working out there. And to see donkeys, of course! :)

    But it's a great idea to celebrate the gift of work. That's my kind of pat on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like the big guy in the photo, not really looking forward to summer ending because it means back to school. I've really enjoyed being a full time writer this summer. *sigh* To everything there is a season.

    ReplyDelete