Friday, August 30, 2019

Quick Chicken (or Leftover Turkey?) and Dumplings

Missy Tippens

I'm re-sharing a blog post from December 27, 2013! I wanted to make the easy version of chicken and dumplings again, so this will make the "recipe" easier for me to find. :) Enjoy!!

******

Missy, here. I hope you had a fantastic Christmas! I recently came up with a very quick version of chicken and dumplings and thought this would be a good time to share it in case you'd like to just use leftover turkey instead of chicken.


Quick and Easy Chicken And Dumplings
Missy Tippens


Ingredients:

3-4 Chicken breasts or a whole chicken (If you want to make this asap, pick the meat off a rotisserie chicken and use a box of chicken broth plus several cups of water).
1/2 bag Frozen biscuits

Yes, that's it for ingredients! 

First, these are the BEST frozen biscuits! I love the tea size, which is what I used in this recipe.



I used frozen biscuits because I cooks several chicken breasts and then realized I didn't have any Bisquick or frozen dumplings! So I thought I'd give it a try using frozen biscuit dough.

Cook your chicken in a big pot of water (enough that you can cook the dumplings once chicken is done). Don't boil it or it'll become tough. Keep it simmering on medium-low until done (about a half an hour).

While chicken is cooking, place half a bag (about 12 small) biscuits on a cutting board to thaw slightly (enough that you can cut them). I cut the tea biscuits in quarters.




Remove the chicken to a plate to cool. Then shred or chop
.



Keep broth simmering and add the pieces of biscuits a couple at a time. At first, they'll sink.



Then when they start to cook, they'll start floating to the top. DO NOT STIR! Resist the urge to stir or they'll tear to pieces and you'll have a cloudy pot of goo. If you must make sure none are sticking to the bottom (like I had to do), then gently stick in a spoon and give it a brief, gentle stir.



Cover and let simmer about 10 minutes. Longer if you're using bigger biscuits.



Before serving, add the shredded chicken in to reheat (again, gently so you don't destroy your dumplings). Spoon into bowls and serve. Add salt and pepper to taste. This turned out surprisingly well! I don't think that I'll make dumplings from scratch or from a baking mix again.



YUM!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Missy... so delicious! I love chicken and biscuits and chicken and dumplings! And I love easy dinners. I'll have to look for frozen biscuits, although I usually have a major-size box of Bisquick on hand... and Crisco, if I run out of Bisquick. But I do love quick and this time of year, quick and easy is huge!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, what I loved about these is that they turned out the exact texture that I love so much. Hubby loves the lighter, fluffier ones that I make with Bisquick. And those are good too! :)

      Delete
  2. Missy, that is very similar to how I make my chicken and dumplings. Matter of fact, I think our dumplings look pretty much the same. Sigh. I can't wait for some chicken and dumpling weather. I love them so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, yeah, it has to cool off a little before I want them. It got cool for a couple of days last weekend, so I had a bit of a craving. But now it's hot as blue blazes again. I'll have to wait a little longer.

      Delete
  3. This is definitely comfort food! We're having a cool rainy day today, so a dish like this sounds extra good.

    Hmm...no frozen biscuits on hand. I'll have to make do with homemade. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jan!!! "Make do with..." (snort) Enjoy them!! I wish I had the touch with biscuits. Mine always turn out terrible, so I gave up.

      Delete