Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Chicken Apple Salad Tea Sandwiches

My friend Debbie and are planning to host a tea later this year, so we ordered several sample-size packages of tea from Tea Embassy in Austin, Texas . 
We're looking, in particular, for dessert teas, which is why so many in the picture are fruity.

Of course, one can't simply sip tea after tea without something to eat, so we put together our own little informal tea party.
Tea for two, if you will.

Debbie brought some delicious cream scones.
Trust me, I'll be hounding her for the recipe for these babies.

Since we're thinking fall for our tea, I made some miniature spice cake cupcakes.
With cream cheese frosting, of course.

But we needed a savory. Something, preferably with apples and maybe a hint of spice. So I grabbed an apple, pulled a leftover grilled chicken breast out of the fridge and set to work.
When you're talking miniature food, these big ol slices of chicken just won't do, so I chopped them up fairly fine.
Then I tossed the chicken into a bowl and set to work on the apple, chopping it into tiny pieces, also.
I added the apple to the chicken, along with about a half teaspoon of cinnamon (because cinnamon goes very well with apples), and stirred everything together.
Next, I chopped up some toasted pecans and added those, along with approximately three tablespoons of mayonnaise. You're welcome to add more if you like, I just didn't want the mayo to overpower all of the other flavors.
Now for the sandwiches. But what if there was something we could do in leu of sandwiches. Something small and fun. I had some frozen phyllo cups, so I filled four of those. But since I still had plenty of chicken salad left over, I decided to do a few sandwiches for comparison purposes. One might taste better than the other.
They were both delicious, but Debbie and I agreed that the phyllo cups were just a tad better. Maybe because they were out of the ordinary.

Over the next two hours, Debbie and I ate, sipped tea and talked until our jaws hurt. Some of the teas were hits, others not so much. This is why the small packages are so nice. And we set a date for our tea. The next mission--come up with a menu. You know that'll be fun.

Have you ever hosted a tea? What are some of your favorite bite-sized morsels?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

19 comments:

  1. No, I've never hosted a tea before, but I'd love to someday! The miniature food looks delicious.

    And you know, I just happen to have some leftover chicken in the fridge and some apples... I think I know what I'm going to have for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could give you an idea for lunch, Jan. ;) You'll have to let me know if you preferred yours with more mayo or with less.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and you can add salt and pepper. Since I'd seasoned my chicken breast before I grilled it, I steered clear of any additional seasoning.

      Delete
    3. Jan I know some church ladies that would probably love a tea party when you are not so busy and unpacked ;)

      Delete
  2. I host tea every Monday! Tea time is the highlight of my week! But we keep things really simple except at Christmas time. Then we go all out! I love to make a simple spice cookie recipe that starts with a cake mix. Another special treat is cream cheese scones topped with faux Devonshire cream and lemon curd. Sigh—such beautiful friendships have been formed around that table!! Sweet times. I hope you have a fabulous tea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, Christmas is always the time to go all out. It's almost impossible not to. I do love tea time. It's nice to just take that time out and bond with others.

      Delete
    2. BTW, Laurel, do you make your own clotted cream and lemon curd or do you buy it?

      Delete
    3. We buy the lemon curd, but we make the faux Devonshire cream.

      Delete
    4. So it's a faux-shire cream! LOL! I crack myself up.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mindy, I think our book club should have a tea instead of our usual sweet/salty snacks! Know any good books with tea in the them? Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, a tea would be perfect for a book club since tea is a nice little timeout anyway. A time to gather with friends and chat. Unfortunately, I do not know of any books with tea in them, though I'm sure there are some out there. If I come across any, I will let you know.

      Delete
  4. Hosting a tea is so much fun. We used to do that at one of my school as a thank you for our volunteers at the end of the year. All of us would bring in our fancy china and lace tablecloths and home cooking. It was a lot work but a great way to celebrate the volunteers. Such a fantastic staff to work with. Sigh -- such a special school. They actually have personalities, you know.

    You gotta have cucumber sandwiches. It isn't a proper team without 'em -- or watercress. That's what I'd have instead of your chicken salad. :-) And i adore your fancy cupcakes! Someday i'm going to be able to decorate like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, what a special way to thank your volunteers. I love those cucumber sandwiches. We kind of want things to have a fall flare, though, so I'm not sure what we'll come up with.

      Delete
  5. I have never hosted a tea, but I have had a friend over for tea and plotting time.
    I'm looking forward to hearing more about your planned tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, tea and plotting sounds like fun. Just through in some miniature food and you're in tea time. ;)

      Delete
  6. Mindy, that chicken salad looks amazing!! The whole day looks amazing. I'll be glad to come do a practice tea with you anytime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe for the chicken salad is going in my bookmarks! I was just in Rapid City and went to the Spice and Tea exchange. My husband and I both love to smell all the teas they have ad well as the spices. This time I got a few new ones including lemon grass for my husband and also a peppermint tea. I could live in the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it's always good to be in the company of another spice/tea junkie, Katie. I love places like that. And I do pretty much live on tea, at least in the morning. However, sometimes an afternoon cup is in order, too. Or a nice herbal tea in the evening. The options abound. ;)

      Delete