Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Peach Cobbler

I cannot believe I have gone all summer and not posted a peach cobbler recipe. I mean, peach cobbler is a staple of summer. A must-have or the season is not complete. And now that we're into August, well, it's time correct this.

Now we've had many discussions over the years as to what cobbler really is. Up north, cobbler tends to be more cakey while here in Texas people prefer theirs more crust-like. The first time I had cobbler in Texas I called it pie without a bottom crust and I was not a fan.

Since I'm married to a Texas, I spent years trying to come up with a happy medium. Then a friend gave me this recipe and I knew I'd finally found the one

Here's what you'll need:
  • 4 cups peaches, peeled and sliced (frozen peaches are a great shortcut for this one, since the peaches are cooked a bit before baking)
  • 2 cups of sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 8 tablespoons (one stick) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • Ground cinnamon to taste
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees.

Now combine your peaches (no need to thaw if using frozen), water and 1 cup of sugar in a medium sauce pan and mix well.
Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat.
Once boiling, turn heat to low and simmer for ten minutes.

Remove pan from heat.

Put butter in a 9X13 baking dish and place in preheated oven to melt.
Meanwhile, mix together your flour and remaining cup of sugar.
Right about the time the butter has completely melted, add the milk to the dry mixture and stir until combined. You can use a whisk, if you like, to insure there are no clumps.
Remove melted butter from oven.
And pour batter over the hot butter, but DO NOT STIR.
Next, using a slotted spoon, place the peaches on top of the batter.
Then gently spoon the syrup over that.
Sprinkle with cinnamon. You can be as light or heavy-handed as you like.
And bake for 40-45 minutes until crust is golden.
By now, your kitchen, if not your whole house, should smell absolutely wonderful. The sweetness of the peaches, the fragrant cinnamon...

Serve warm with your favorite ice cream.
Or au naturel.
This is probably one of the easiest peach cobbler recipes ever. Especially if you use frozen peaches. Something that means you can enjoy this amazing treat all year round. 

Since we're on the topic of fruit and it is still summer, what is your favorite fruit dessert? The one that really says summer to you? One that, perhaps, brings back fond memories, or is just so delicious you can't wait for summer so you can dig into it again.


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.

18 comments:

  1. Mindy--this looks so wonderful--I'm a sucker for peaches in almost any form (like a good Georgia girl should be!) One of my favorite hot weather desserts is what my mom used to call "Pucker Pie." It's basically a lemonade pie--super simple, but super refreshing when it's steamy outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, a lemonade pie sounds REALLY good. You might need to share the recipe.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. It is so very easy--we called it pucker pie because my grandmother (cooking wasn't really her thing) overdid the lemon concentrate and underdid the sweetener once and everybody who tasted it puckered up! :)

      Delete
  2. This went into my bookmarks! When it cools I am going to bake more. I love you can use frozen peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This peach cobble looks delicious. I've always made it with the two crust as that's what I'm used to growing up in rural Illinois with peach orchards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, to grow up with peach orchards. Marilyn, that must have been heavenly.

      Delete
  4. There is nothing like Texas peach cobbler! I'm not sure exactly what makes it so good...but I'm definitely saving this recipe! Someday I'll have a kitchen again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will, Jan. And I have no doubt that you'll be itching to cook up a storm and fill your freezer.

      Delete
  5. Oh, this looks so good, Mindy. I get the regional differences. Up here, cobbler requires a crumb topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Mary Cate. When you say crumb topping, is it different from what you'd put on a crisp?

      Delete
  6. Mindy, that looks amazing!! I think the dessert that says summer to me is strawberry shortcake. But cobbler is a close second!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, it's strange, but I don't do strawberry shortcake as much as I used to. I'm not sure why, I just don't. Maybe because there are so many other desserts to choose from.

      Delete
  7. WOW! This looks absolutely delicious. The end result looks intimidating to me to make, but with your instructions it's not so overwhelming. I actually think I will try to make this because it looks irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle, the hardest part of this is resisting the urge to stir the batter into the melted butter. But it works. Your taste buds will thank you.

      Delete
  8. Eeeep!!! How did I miss peach cobbler day?! Honestly, between the heat and the garden I can't keep track of time. I'm definitely going to try this recipe. I've made peach cobbler before but not always with success. The cobbler part is always soggy. But this recipe is very different from any I've tried so I'm excited to give it a go.

    As for summer fruit dishes....I think strawberry pie screams summer for me! But peaches in a pie or a cobbler is a very close second!

    ReplyDelete