Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Celebrating with Lemon Bars

Today's the day!
Book four in my Rocky Mountain Heroes series releases today. 

A fresh start...and an old love reignited?

For widow Kayla Bradshaw, restoring a historic Colorado hotel means a better life for her and her soon-to-arrive baby. But she needs construction help from Jude Stephens, the love she lost through a misunderstanding. Working with Kayla, the police officer finds himself forgiving her--and longing to rebuild her shattered confidence. But can they trust each other enough to forge a future together?

So let's celebrate with one of my favorite desserts.


Lemon bars are a quintessential southern tradition. One problem I have with these tasty treats, though, is that sometimes they're too sweet. I prefer mine with a little more tang. And this recipe has the perfect balance of sweet and citrus.Best of all, they're really quite easy to make. For years, I opted for a box kit but, really, this scratch-made version doesn't take much longer.


**FYI - refrigeration time is required, so plan accordingly**


First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Line a 9 x 13 pan with foil.


For the crust you will need:

  • 2 sticks of cold butter (I prefer unsalted)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix dry ingredients together, then cube butter before adding.


Cut butter into the flour, sugar, salt until crumbly, yet incorporated.


Then dump into foil-lined pan.


And press to cover bottom of pan.


Bake 20 minutes or until golden.


While that's baking, let's make the filling.


For the filling, you will need:

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 6 eggs
  • Zest and juice of 5 lemons


Okay, so this is where homemade versus a box-kit might cost you a little more time, because you have to zest and juice the lemons.


First, you want to wash them. Yes, that means soap. Just be sure to rinse them well before drying.


Now I'd like to introduce you one of my favorite kitchen gadgets.


This is called a microplane. You can use it for finely grating lots of things, like citrus peels, whole nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. I used to just use the fine grate on my standard cheese grater, but I was over the moon when I found this in my stocking one Christmas. I can't tell you how much easier it makes things. And no more bloodied knuckles or chipped fingernails.


Simply drag the grate across the peel and it traps everything in this little channel. Then you simply tap what's there into the bowl. 


Once all you're lemons are zested...


Simply cut them in half and squeeze out all the juice, taking care to strain out any seeds. A task I usually just use my hands/fingers for.


Now, whisk together your flour, sugar and eggs until smooth.


Then add the lemon zest and juice...


And stir to incorporate.


Once your crust is done...


Pour the lemon mixture over the top.


Put it back in the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, or until just set.


Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate 2 hours to overnight.


When ready to serve, lift foil from pan and dust with powdered sugar.



Cut into squares and serve.


So pretty. SO tasty. And that citrusy tang is perfect for summertime or a nice compliment after any rich meal.

As the title reveals, Reunited in the Rockies is a reunion romance. It's a story of broken hearts, broken promises and learning to trust in love again. Because true love, the way God intended it, never fails. It beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things and endureth all things. 

So grab you a lemon bar, pull up a chair and let's talk books. What are you reading? I'm currently reading The Soldier's Redemption by Lee Tobin McLain and I can't wait to read the final book in her Redemption Ranch series, The Nanny's Secret Baby. How's your TBR pile looking?

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more a mindyobenhaus.com.


14 comments:

  1. Woohoo!!!! Happy Book Birthday! I have Reunited in the Rockies at the top of my TBR pile. Can't wait to dive in. I'm a book away. And I'll happily celebrate the book release with lemon bars. LOVE me some lemon bars!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have as many as you want, Kav. And I always look forward to your thoughts on my books. We have one brother left to go and he'll be here in February. I'll give you a tissue warning on that one.

      Delete
  2. Happy book birthday, Mindy! This story sounds fabulous.

    And I love lemon bars. (This is one of the few non-chocolate desserts that gets and "I love" from me! LOL) I have to put a micro-plane on my wish list. I usually just skip the lemon zest because it's so time-consuming to come up with a smidgen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, there's a reason my microplane is a favorite. Until you've used one, you don't realize how easy it makes things. They have them for less than $20 on Amazon.

      Delete
  3. Happy Book Birthday, Mindy!
    I LOVE lemon bars, but I've always shied away from making them. Your recipe makes it look manageable, but now there's no one but me to eat them - and that's a bad thing.

    Thank you for giving me a lovely memory of my husband. He had quite a collection of microplanes for work, so he always got a good laugh out of seeing them in Bed, Bath & Beyond. He also loved to tell me the story of how Lee Valley Tools turned them into a kitchen tool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Cate. As for the microplanes, who knew they were so versatile. :D And yes, there is that problem of wanting to eat all of the lemon bars yourself. But lemons are healthy, right? Lots of vitamin C. Or one could always share with neighbors or coworkers, I suppose.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the new release, Mindy! I love that cover!

    Love the photo of the "nekkid" lemons! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy. So the first time I saw this cover there were pink and purple flowers in the foreground. I said, "This story takes place in October/November. We can't have spring flowers." I may or may not have been a little freaked out. At any rate, I love the final cover. And nekkid lemons are so cute. You almost feel sorry for them, like you want to wrap them in a paper towel or something.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad they were able to change the color scheme! It's what I love so much about it.

      Delete
    3. Me too, Missy. Those flowers just pop at you.

      Delete
  5. Happy Release Day, Mindy. This story is going on my TBR list. I have so many LI books currently to read. Just need more time. LOL

    Lemon bars is one of my favorite desserts. But desserts are limited these day, but maybe I'll sneak one to help celebrate your new book. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn. I wish I had more time to read, too. Though there never seems to be a lack of books. ;)

      Delete
  6. I posted twice on my phone for this, and neither one took... I wonder what I'm doing wrong? Sometimes it lets me on Seekerville, and sometimes not, but I'm sure it's me!

    Mindy, congratulations on the new book! I'm delighted for you and can't wait to read it!!!! And lemon bars are only one of my many weaknesses, and I will have to make them before Pumpkin Spice Everything wins the day!!!!! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete