Monday, August 26, 2019

First Peek at the New Home!

Hi, everybody! And welcome to our new home!


The place is a mess, but come on in and I'll show you around.

Keep in mind that we've only been here for a week. You'll need to use your imagination...pretend you're reading a Better Homes and Gardens magazine article and the house is beautifully decorated!


That means you'll just have to ignore the pile of boxes...but we love the floor!

We'll start in the kitchen...


Oops! I don't have the dishwasher installed yet! We'll come back to the kitchen later. 

Let's start downstairs, instead.


This will be my office for now. I'm currently working in the corner where you see my desk chair. Not much more will be done to this room until my current book is finished! Priorities!

Eventually, this space will be a third bedroom and bath (pipes for bathroom fixtures are already in place.) It will be perfect for guests.


The other part of the basement is the family room. Not very family-friendly yet, is it? Another work in progress!

The former owner left this room divider/bookcase for us, and we love it. On the left side is a tiled area that leads to the patio (it's a walk-out basement). It will be a perfect place to take Jack out (when we bring him home in a few weeks!) 

We'll get the rest of this room sorted out eventually. Let's go back upstairs.


This is the living room portion of the great room. The house has an "open concept" arrangement, so the living room, kitchen, and dining room are all in one big space. The master bedroom and a second bedroom and bath complete this level, along with the laundry room just off the kitchen.


Here's the dining room. We need to get a light for above the table...and a table.... Meanwhile, we're eating most of our meals out on the deck!

Speaking of meals, let's check on the kitchen again...


Yay! The dishwasher is installed and the kitchen is beginning to look usable! And look at that! My Instant Pot is busy cooking chicken for tomorrow's salad.

And now that evening has come, we have to go out on the deck.


Ah! Dusk in the Black Hills. Across the road is one of the many ranches in this area. There is another one behind us. Lots of beautiful empty space.

We'll just turn to the west to get a picture of Mt. Rushmore...


...and just like that, it's sunset! Mt. Rushmore is there, I promise. In another 30 minutes it will be completely dark and we'll be able to see the white granite lit up for evening visitors. Too bad that doesn't translate to a photograph!

We'll continue to work on the unpacking and settling in, but writing comes first! We hope to be ready for our annual Thanksgiving dinner in November, but meanwhile we'll enjoy our new home just the way it is!

Thanks for coming along for the tour!






Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-seven years.

24 comments:

  1. I'm just going to live on the patio after getting to see it in person! I'll just get an umbrella for the rain. Maggie won't mind sharing right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to see the new place in person yesterday! It was a fun afternoon.

      And no, Maggie-Cat won't mind sharing!

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm so glad y'all got to visit!

      Delete
    3. Missy it was kind of a spur of the moment trip. Jacob is able to be home each day to take care of the dogs and let me get a trip in to get my South Dakota fix before he has to possibly go on the road.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am so in love with this, Jan. It's beautiful and I can always see beyond boxes et al, and the built-in loveliness of it all... and I love that the dishwasher magically moved!!!! :) Well done!

    And yes, priorities first.... getting that book done is huge... but unpacking boxes and finding places for things can be your new workout time!!!

    AND JACK!

    Oh be still my heart, he's going to love coming home to this.

    I can't wait for his homecoming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in love with it too, Ruthy! And every day that we're here it feels more like home. :-)

      Three weeks from today we'll be bringing Jack home...and then our lives will be turned upside down with all things PUPPY!

      Delete
  3. Jan, this is wonderful! Such a great house! And those views are stunning.

    Did you install the dishwasher yourself??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun has come out after a rainy morning, and the sunlight kissing the tops of the mountains is absolutely beautiful. And I'm watching it all from my little corner office! We are so blessed. :-)

      And yes, I did install the dishwasher! It's amazing what you can do when you have to!

      Delete
  4. Jan, your dream of a little house in the hills has finally come true. I know you're ecstatic. The house is lovely and soon you will be all settled in. Just in time for the holidays. If you're like me, one of the first thoughts I usually have is, "Now where am I going to put the Christmas tree." ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That's exactly what we were discussing on Saturday! And so far, we've narrowed the Christmas tree placement down to either the living room or the family room. We'll decide after we get the furniture arranged.

      And yes, this is a dream come true. :-)

      Delete
  5. Jan, what a lovely new home. Thank you for the virtual tour. I would be enjoying the patio to read and relax with the beautiful landscape. May years of happiness in your new dream home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marilyn! We are enjoying both the deck (upstairs in the sunshine) and the patio (downstairs and shadier) every day! In fact, it's often hard to come inside...but work is always waiting!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Jan, on seeing your dream become reality. It's a lovely setting, and did you say, we're all invited for Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a long-held dream and a blessing.

      And yes! Bring a dish to share! Watch the weather though - we'll cancel if there's a blizzard. :-)

      Delete
  7. I don't think I'd get any unpacking done with that view as a distraction!!!! So glad you're safe and sound in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kav!

      And that view...I've been known to wander out on the deck in the middle of the night to drink in the outline of the mountains against the starry sky and listen to the coyotes howl at the moon. *sigh* Who needs sleep?

      Delete
  8. Congratulations, Jan! It's beautiful and looks like an amazing home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jan, what a beautiful place! You'll have to get a pic of Jack basking in the glow of your fireplace this winter. What a great place for him to grow up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to having him here, Tammy! I miss having a "side car" accompanying me through my day.

      And believe me, I'll be sharing plenty of pictures of our Jack!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations! I've lived in the country with acreage all my life, but can't keep it up anymore. I've been trying to decide whether to go to a condo, but it is so hard thinking of giving up my home. It's really all I need though, although I think of staying in them on vacation and they are so noisy and have no privacy.

    I definitely want a mountain view like you and if I could see ranches that could take the place of having to give up my animals. Do you get to see any animals on the ranches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cattle, cattle, and more cattle! LOL! And deer, elk, coyotes, antelope, hawks, eagles...

      The funny thing about this place is that we were looking for acreage in the Hills, and we spent nearly a year searching with the help of our realtor. But God knew what we needed, and He had the perfect place for us.

      Believe it or not, our new house is a condo! There are only four units in the building and it's the only building in the area. Very well built and very quiet. We only know our neighbors are around when they drive in on the gravel road!

      As we get older, we'll be able to continue living here since everything we need is on one level. If we had bought the house of "our" dreams, we would have to move again in another 5-10 years. We'll be able to stay here much longer. :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh Jan, I love your new house!! Especially the bookshelf divider, I think every house needs one of those, don't you? ;-)
    I agree with everyone else, I could sit out on the back deck and watch life go by and the sun go down. It must be so peaceful. Do you hear crickets at night? That would be the highlight for me!

    Congrats to you and your Mr. Drexler. There's nothing better than owning your own place, and a condo to boot...whoohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Jan your home is Beautiful and I love the view Thank you for letting us tour your beautiful home!

    ReplyDelete