Monday, August 17, 2020

Zucchini Bread

Jan here, feeling loved.

 I remember back in the 70's when zucchini was a fairly new vegetable on the scene for backyard gardeners. It was different. Who knew how to use it?

Then people discovered how prolific it was.

 Old joke alert! "How can you tell if a person has no friends?" "They buy their zucchini at the grocery store."

 LOL! Up until my daughter's zucchini plants started producing, that was me!

But then she gave me a giant zucchini, and we're back in the zucchini bread business! My favorite recipe comes from this cookbook that I got for a wedding shower gift thirty eight years ago:


I've been making a version of the zucchini nut bread recipe in this book ever since!

You can tell this book is well-loved and well-used!





Here's the recipe:

ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1 egg
1/4 cup cooking oil (I use coconut oil)

In a small mixing bowl, stir the first five ingredients together.

In a larger mixing bowl, whisk the egg, then add the sugar and zucchini and stir them in. Then add the oil and stir until everything is combined.

Add the flour mixture and stir until it's all mixed together. Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan (8" works best.)

Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until done.



In other news, the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally was last week. The numbers were down, but I guess that's expected this year. Another change this year is that the bikers seemed to be taking more "long rides" to the Badlands, Devils Tower, etc. rather than hanging out in Sturgis all week.

But then on Wednesday, this happened (I chose the video without sound.)


According to witnesses, the woman tried to approach a baby bison and an adult attacked her. (I think I would say that according to the bison, the woman tried to attack a baby and the adult protected the the little one!)

The woman only had minor injuries, which was a miracle.

Just a reminder - bison are not fuzzy cows. And the signs that are scattered throughout the park are serious: "Bison are dangerous. Do not approach."


Whenever I take photos of wildlife, I always stay inside our vehicle...unless we're hiking.


And then I make sure we keep our distance, walk away, and let them have the right of way!

But with the end of the Rally comes the end of the summer. Starting this week our temperatures will be moderating toward fall, the bucks lose the velvet on their antlers, the fall wildflowers start blooming. Soon the aspens will turn to gold and the north wind will bring the promise of snow...


...all in the next four weeks.

I'm looking forward to it!



Jan Drexler has always been a "book girl" who still loves to spend time within the pages of her favorite books. She lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her dear husband of many years and their active, crazy dogs, Jack and Sam. You can learn more about Jan and her books on her website, www.JanDrexler.com.



4 comments:

  1. Jan, at the risk of sounding ugly, that woman was an idiot. One does not get between a mama and baby of any species. It's not like she was in a petting zoo. That mama was acting on instinct.

    I have a nephew who was helping my FIL work cattle eons ago and got between a cow and her calf and the cow trampled him. And he wasn't even paying attention to the calf, but mama saw him as a threat. My FIL thought the boy was dead. He wasn't, but had several broken bones.

    Stepping off my soapbox now. I've never made zucchini bread, but I'm thinking I might ought to give it a try. And this recipe would be just the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead and sound ugly. There are some pretty funny memes going around about her and the incident. Wisely, no one has given her name out. People can be cruel, but she did a stupid thing, and stupid can easily be deadly. Our reactions would all be much different if she had been killed rather than only having minor injuries.

      Your nephew, on the other hand, was careless - which can be just as deadly! - but at least he didn't do it on purpose.

      I hope you enjoy the zucchini bread!

      Delete
  2. Jan, I saw that video the other day and thought of you in your car and on your hikes! But I knew you would keep your distance.

    This looks so good! I adore zucchini bread! I love a slice heated in the microwave and then smeared with butter. YUM!

    ReplyDelete