Friday, August 28, 2020

Veggie Masala

 Missy Tippens


I tried a new recipe this week that came from Dinnerly. I thought I'd share the main ingredients so you can try it sometime. It would be great if your family does meatless Mondays. And of course, if you're vegetarian, you'd love this!

Prep: I cut up a head of cauliflower into small florets. And I chopped a couple of large cloves of garlic.

In a large pot, cook the cauliflower in some butter and oil until it starts to brown a bit. Then remove the cauliflower and set it aside.

In the same pot, add more butter and sauté the garlic with a couple of teaspoons of curry powder (I ended up wishing I had used more--maybe a tablespoon). Then add 16 oz of tomato sauce. The cans that came in my kits were Spanish style--which I think added a lot of good flavor. And add a little water if needed. Season with a pinch of sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer a bit and add the cauliflower back in. Near the end, add in some fresh green peas and cook until tender. I also added in some leftover frozen corn at the same time.

I'm sorry I didn't take photos!

Serve over rice and top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt that's been mixed with some of the freshly chopped garlic.

I did take one photo of my plate after I started eating and realized how tasty it was. :)


If you make this, let me know what you think!


www.missytippens.com

10 comments:

  1. Missy, I love rice with Spanish/Mex seasonings... it's the best. Remember when "Spanish rice" was a thing? They don't call it that now, but it's so good! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The curry really changes the flavor, though, from the Mexican rice I'm used to from restaurants. But both are good!

      Delete
  2. Missy, I love all of this except for the curry. Would you believe that is the one spice I do not have? I'm just not a fan. But I do love cauliflower in just about any form. Raw, riced, mashed like potatoes. So I'd have to substitute something for the curry. Like Ruthy said, maybe even give it a Tex-Mex flavor. My first thoughts are chili powder and cumin, my usual go-to's. I'll have to think on this. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I think cumin would be really good with this. I love cumin!

      Have you ever tried the powdered curry? To me it tastes different from the curry pastes I've used. It's less spicy. More just "warm," I guess I'd call it. I love it!

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! And I love curry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really tasty, Missy. I need to recommend it to my daughter since she loves anything Masala. She would probably add in some chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think she would love it. And chicken would be really good with this.

      Delete
  5. I have everything for this! Minus the peas, but we don't need them here. Add some chicken and you have a full meal. 😀

    ReplyDelete