Thursday, August 13, 2020

Grandma Blodgett's Peach Custard Pie

 

I've posted this before... but it's peach season and this is the best peach pie I've ever made. 




My mother-in-law isn't a baker, but she had this pie and realized it had all the components I love in a pie... great taste, a blend of textures (flaky crust, delicious filling) and it wasn't soggy.

I don't like soggy crust.

I like that balance of crust to cream/fruit, etc. That's what makes pie so special to me, and this recipe has that wonderful balance so here it is... and while you're reading this, I'm at a Cleveland Indians game so that Farmer Dave can see Mike Trout play for the Los Angeles Angels... because he missed Trout in NYC. Trout was out on injuries and this is part of Dave's bucket list: To see a future hall-of-famer play. 

Now mind you, he's seen a lot of Hall of Fame guys play in the last ten years, but Trout's not on this side of the country very often, so off we go.... and this weekend our house fills with kids and grandkids for our annual "CousinPalooza" celebration... and this pie is on the menu!

Okay, here it is, as promised!  I can't believe I didn't post this a few weeks ago. We are to say NOTHING of Ruthy's memory lapses from this point forward, 'kay????

'Kay!

:)

So here is the basic pic of recipe ingredients:

 Of course, you need pie crust so go HERE and use my Country Tearoom recipe that has won awards all over the place. I know this because the magazine said so a gazillion years ago when dinosaurs made pies.

Basic recipe with Ruthy flair:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/3 cup flour
2 Tbsp. quick cooking tapioca
Dash salt  * Note for you purists.... Add it. Look at what Lindt has done for dark chocolate by adding a hint of sea salt???? Chocolate covered pretzels??? Delish, right? Trust me, adding incidental hints of salt and savory tastes will not (most likely) end the world. And it gives a background pizzazz.

1 1/4   cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. cinnamon  or nutmeg or both (if desired)  It's great with or without the spices, but I love the scent and taste of fall.

Peel and slice 6-7 cups of fresh peaches, or use frozen peaches, thawed and drained

Combine all dry ingredients. Mix all but a tablespoon or two of the heavy cream with the vanilla. Save the extra bit of cream for brushing the top crust...  Add to sugar mixture.   Add peaches. Toss lightly. Let sit for 10-15 minutes while you do the crust.


Take two sections of pie crust, either fresh or frozen. Roll one out to fit a deep dish 9" pan. Don't roll top crust yet...



Once peach/sugar/cream mixture has sat a while and maybe you've had a cup of coffee or a glass of tea, roll that top crust out. Using a sharp knife or 'ruffle edge' cutter, make a bunch of 1" (one inch wide) ribbons of crust. To do a lattice crust, start in the middle of the pie with the longest pieces. You usually only use about 10-12 pieces of crust, and if you start in the middle, you can easily raise the piece below up enough to "weave" the next piece of crust. It's like making a potholder only more delicious than any stretchy cotton yarn I've ever eaten. And I've had my share!


Tuck the edges under, then flute the edge by pinching. Brush remaining cream over the pie crust and sprinkle with sugar. When the little boys help me sprinkle with sugar we get LOTS OF SUGAR.


They were nowhere to be found today, so we have NORMAL sugary sparkles!!!



I use aluminum foil strips to prevent the edges from over-browning. I'm fussy that way. I like them golden, not brown. But then, I like wimpy toast, too. Clearly, I'm a wuss.


Eat. Eat. Eat. Truly, this is by far the best peach pie I have ever eaten. I'm not a peach pie person, although I love peaches. I hate soggy pies. I get SO MAD when a pie crust is ruined by day 2 because the crust is soggy. Obviously I'm a little OCD when it comes to pie, but this pie????



Oh.... THIS PIE doesn't do that. It's just perfect, even several days in.

'Sall I'm sayin'.

I think this is one of those old fashioned famous desserts that must be repeated on a seasonal basis.... until someone comes up with one that's better, at least

Multi-published author Ruth Logan Herne loves to bake, is somewhat tired of cooking (it's been a lot of years of cooking, my friends!) and loves, loves, loves writing stories that folks love to read.... But she mostly loves God and Jesus and she thinks her family is generally amazing, and she does have a thing for dogs... because they love unconditionally! Write to her at loganherne@gmail.com, visit her website ruthloganherne.com or friend her on Facebook where she tends to talk too much! 

8 comments:

  1. Goodness gracious, sakes alive! This looks so good, Ruthy. You always make the prettiest pies. I'm planning to make a blueberry pie this weekend (when there will be other people here to help eat it), but I'm tempted to make this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, it's just my very most absolutely favorite peach pie! And you know I love pies, if I had time to run a bakery, I'd do it because I love great pastries and desserts!!!! Blueberry and peach: perfect summer fare!

      Delete
  2. What a timely post -- just got a flyer announcing that local peaches are in my local grocery store! I haven't tried this recipe yet but I think I will this time round 'cause my peach pies are always a soggy mess of oozing goodness. More like peach pie pudding. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav! That's exactly why I love this because I don't like gushy pies.... And I just did a blackberry pie from our wild blackberries (and about 35 jars of jam) and I cooked the filling first, on the stove. That's a huge help for avoiding runny middles!

      But this peach pie doesn't need that, the tiny tapioca pearls are perfect!!!

      Delete
  3. Pie. The best food ever.

    But I just used my last peach in my breakfast smoothie. :-(

    Saving the recipe! And have fun at your cousin-palooza this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, man, no Cousin Palooza this year... but we are having the Texan come to town to quarantine so we'll have everyone over while he's here.

      After we make sure he's healthy, of course. It will be good to have him in WNY for a few weeks so he can be outside, pick pumpkins. He'll work from home (here) but not trapped in a really cute but kind of lonely apartment. It's too much of a good thing for a single guy!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord have mercy, I’m drooling! I’ve got to go to my favorite produce stand and buy me some peaches!

    ReplyDelete