Wednesday, August 5, 2020

A storm, some trees, a sweet pup and some puzzles

With all the drama yesterday, I forgot to set up my post for today.

The day started off with a call from my daughter that her tiny puppy had been attacked by a very large dog, and she didn't think he would survive. That call woke me from a sound sleep (which is rather ironic since the opening of my WIP is somewhat similar - though not with a dog attack).

Fortunately, the vet thinks the wounds appeared worse than they are, and so long as the punctures don't form an abscess, the pup should survive.

Here's our sweet boy in happier times.



I did get to experience a funny benefit of technology as my other daughter and I "babysat" the puppy over Zoom while my daughter took a shower.


Then Hurricane/Tropical Storm Isaias hit. I've been wanting a cozy, rainy day to sit and read and write all summer, but you know the adage about being careful what you wish for. This was a crazy scary day as the winds kicked up and Brooklyn's trees took a bad hit. The storm passed right over us with wind gusts that were not kind to all our beautiful old trees.

Just when we thought it was dying down, a particularly strong gust shook the house. I messaged my daughter to say that one was bad, I felt the house vibrate. Well, as it turns out, what I'd heard was the tree in the front  - that had been planted in 1935 by my neighbor's grandmother - take a fatal blow. The entire top half snapped off and came crashing towards the house, taking out the metal banister on my neighbor's stoop. The front yard was full of tree branches and my house had a fresh smell of "nature" although I didn't know what caused it until I opened the storm shutters in the front to a wall of green.

The mailman had literally just dropped off the mail and left the yard right before the tree came down. I bet he's counting his lucky stars this morning.

This storm was spawning microbursts and tornados all up the coast, so I don't know yet what exactly happened here - we did get a tornado about ten years ago that took out a lot of trees, and then Superstorm Sandy took out quite a few more. Yesterday, walking Fenway once the storm had cleared, I saw a lot of wind damage and branches down.


Anyway, all that is the reason why I forgot to put up a regular post. I had intended to post photos of my daughter's trip to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden that finally reopened to the public last week - on a limited basis of course. But we'll save them for next week,

I'll give you more puppy pictures instead.












This week's batch



Oh, and my daughter also suggested I share that in addition to spending the quarantine baking bread






She has been doing puzzles. She just completed this one (which she sealed and framed)




and the Empire State Building in 3D (which also lights up)






and is now on to this one






Looks rather challenging

So what have you been doing to fill your time. I have to admit, for me it's mostly been writing lately. And binge-watching TV.

11 comments:

  1. Poor Teddy. I pray he'll be okay. I assume they've got him on antibiotics to ward off any infection. Sweet puppy.

    The winds. Wow! So glad you are safe. But those puzzles. Those are some tough ones. Nothing like a challenge, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Antibiotics, painkillers and warm compresses to prevent abscesses forming.

      I thought the bookcase one was tough. Then she showed me the rose window!

      Delete
  2. Oh, the poor baby!!! That had to me nerve wracking for you daughter. I hope he recovers well -- both in body and spirit. My little sheltie, Elise, got attacked by a big black dog when she was a pup -- thankfully she got away with just a broken tail -- but she had it out for all big black dogs the rest of her life. She'd bush up like a cat on attack and given them the stink-eye.

    I'm so jealous of that puzzle!!! I'd been eyeing a bookshelf puzzle at my pharmacy (of all places) but as I dithered about where I'd set it up and if my crazy new glasses would let me see up close enough to actually do the puzzle, they sold it. Sigh. I hear that jigsaw puzzle interest has revived thanks to COVID. Now they are sold out everywhere up here!

    That storm sounds super scary. We had the rain but the tornado part skipped up and hit a little town outside the city. I can't believe your postman was out delivering in the middle of the storm!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kav. He's had a rough life in his 6 months. Several shelters, then fosters, before he finally got to my girl. She loves him to pieces.

      I don't know whether I love or am terrified of that puzzle. I'm afraid I would get compulsive about it and get nothing else done.

      My daughter bought something called a puzzle table with the compartment drawers to keep the pieces safe.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I hope you have a quieter day today, Cate!

    I hope the pup will be okay, and that the tree clean-up goes well. So sad to see the trees go.

    And those puzzles! I do one puzzle a year during the few days after Christmas. My mom and my grandmother loved to do puzzles, so I do them to relive the memories of sitting around the table chatting and doing a puzzle together. I do not love puzzles, but I love the memories. So one a year is enough!

    What have I been doing to fill my time? I'm as busy as ever. One thing about always working from home is that not much has changed since this pandemic started, so I'm as busy as ever with no time that needs filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Jan. My summer busy is always different from school, buys, but it is odd to be indoors most of the time.

      Delete
    2. I meant to add that my grandmother always had a puzzle going. She had a special table reserved just for them.

      Delete
  4. Mary Cate, I'm so sorry about your grand dog!! I hope they put him on antibiotics. Our grand dog did get an access on his ear after the cat clawed his ear. I'll be praying your sweet baby is okay!

    I'm so sorry about the old tree. :( But thankful no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy. I am currently babysitting him on Zoom while my daughter ran to the vet to get more of the painkiller. Somehow the emergency vet prescribed 3 days but only gave enough for one day.

      Delete
    2. Abcess. Autocorrect got to that word. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, poor puppy, Cate! I'm so sorry this happened, how frightening for pup and your daughter and you.... Praying for his full return to health, emotional and physical.

    And that storm... which I saw took a similar path that Sandy took... Sarah's in NC near Durham and said that NYC got hit worse than they did... except along coastal NC. Extended family in Manhattan and Long Island said it was scary. And the tree snapping.... good heavens, woman, I don't think NYC needs anything more, do you? You guys have been in the storm's path from March and I'm so sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete