Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Welcome to Brooklyn


Love Inspired Suspense has been running a series called True Blue K-9 Unit: Brooklyn. The covers feature many iconic Brooklyn views. 


That got me thinking - 

 What's the first thing you think of when you hear Brooklyn?


The Brooklyn Bridge?


Image used with permission from Pixabay/Foundry



Coney Island?

Image from stephy@ Pixabay


My personal favorite spot is The Brooklyn Botanic Garden.


Like everything else in the world, the gardens have been closed since March, but they were recently reopened for limited visiting on a timed/ticketed basis. Since my daughter has a membership, she took a break from bread baking and visited on the first day they were open. The morning had been rainy (like Biblical proportions rain), so there were few visitors, but the skies cleared enough for her to have a lovely stroll and take over 200 photos!

I thought I'd share some of them with you today (rest assured NOT all 200+). I hope you enjoy.



Some places make it hard to remember you're still in the center of the city.









Then there's the Rose Garden - slightly more cultivated.







The Cherry Trees are no longer in bloom, but the esplanade is still peaceful.



The Japanese Garden












Everything looks a bit murky on this overcast day.




I love the design on this gate.

So that's my Brooklyn!



9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and peaceful place to escape, Mary Cate. It is hard to imagine it's plunked smack dab in the middle of a bustling city. I'm so glad you got to go and escape the madness for a bit. Definitely a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't actually go with her that day. She was there before she even told me she was going. But I wrote many a scene sitting in those gardens while my girls took gardening classes when they were little.

      Delete
  2. When I think of Brooklyn, I think of "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." That was my first introduction to the city (borough?) many years ago. Of course the story is nearly one hundred years old, but I still think of Brooklyn as being filled with brownstones and small neighborhoods. From your posts, I think my impressions are still true to some extent.

    But the gardens surprise me! I had no idea there was such an extensive and lovely green space! I hope you get to enjoy it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep -- yes -- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn --- another happy childhood reading memory!

      Delete
    2. Can you believe I've never read that book? I meant to rectify that this summer after hearing so many people recommend it as a 7th grade read. Oops. Haven't done it yet.

      Delete
    3. Jan, sometimes I'm amazed at just HOW big Brooklyn is. We're close to 3 million people in just this borough. My neighborhood is definitely still mostly brownstones, and Brooklyn is definitely defined by different neighborhoods.

      Delete
    4. 3 million? Wow. That's more than three times the population of the entire state of South Dakota.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's hard to believe it's in the middle of the city! Gorgeous. I wonder how many gardening staff they need to keep it so gorgeous. I'm reading the Booklyn series and loving the virtual sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter used to be on staff there before she moved to Maine. I'll have to ask her. She taught a program for little children and also facilitated school trips.

      Delete