Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Air Fryer Steak Fries

So Saturday night's meal was supposed to be easy. I had some wings to throw on the grill, a can of Bush's baked beans and I was going to round things out with some sweet potato fries. But when to went to get the fries from the freezer, I discovered I was out. Bummer. I was really looking forward to those sweet potato fries. Well, then I had to figure out what to have in their stead. I spotted some russet potatoes in the pantry. I wasn't in the mood for mashed or baked, I wanted fries. But not plain old fries.

Suddenly my brain went back to our recent trip to Oklahoma and some fries my daughter had ordered when we went out one night. They were wedged potatoes, nice and thick, with an amazing seasoning. Hmm... I could do that. And cooked in the air fryer, they'd come out nice and crisp on the outside.

Game on!

I cut five small potatoes into wedges.
Then I added some olive oil, some salt, pepper and garlic powder, and then, for a little more texture on the outside, I grated up some Parmesan, threw that in and tossed everything together.
I put them in the air fryer basket and set them to cook at 400 degrees for roughly 20 minutes, shaking them every 5 minutes. That time will vary depending on how thick the potatoes are.
Tah-dah!
Mission accomplished. They were crispy on the outside, tender on the inside and packed with flavor. They were the perfect accompaniment to the wings. Though, honestly, I probably could have made a meal on the fries alone.

Could these be done in the oven? Yes. Simply line a baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup and prepare them the same. Be sure to give them a toss/stir midway through the cooking process. 

Next time, I think I'll try to replicate the bacon-cheddar fries our son introduced us to at a restaurant in Dallas. I can hardly wait.

What's something you've made when you were in a pinch that turned out better than you expected?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

12 comments:

  1. I love home made fries. Fish tacos are on the list this week. Maybe this would be a good side for a play on fish and chips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I LOVE fish tacos. We had those Friday night. But fish and chips would be another winner. I say go for it. ;)

      Delete
    2. Katie, I have never had fish tacos, but I always wanted to try them.

      Delete
  2. I think I need to start thinking about an air fryer...

    I often do roasted potatoes in the oven, and we love them. I'll throw in some other veggies sometimes, too, and a few cloves of garlic (yum!) But they rarely have that crusty surface that you get with fried foods.

    Yup. Gonna have to consider another kitchen gadget. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, an air fryer would make a lovely birthday or Christmas gift. ;)

      Delete
    2. Jan they have an air fryer lid for the instant pot. It works pretty good for things like this! I believe it will work for your model ;)

      Delete
  3. Groan. Now you have me craving sweet potato fires. Haven't had them in ages! Super scared of frying anything though -- even in an air fryer but I could definitely do these in the oven. I do mixed veggies like this...only without the Parmesan. Might have to try that.

    I made up my own lentil pilaf recently with bits and bobs and I was pretty proud of myself. I know, pilaf is pretty simple, but I'm the rule following recipe reading kind of cook so winging it felt very adventurous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, the majority of the time I'm the same way about following recipes. I hate to waste anything and I'm always worried that I might not like something I adlibbed. But potatoes are cheap and they were going to go bad if I didn't do something with them, so I figured I had nothing to lose.

      As for frying in an air fryer, you have nothing to fear because there's no grease. Well, unless you count the olive oil I tossed the taters in. It's strictly hot air. And when you open it to check on the something that's cooking, it cuts off. It's truly easy peasy.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. They were really good, Mary Cate. Didn't even need dipping.

      Delete
  5. Mindy, these look so good!! And yes, bacon and cheddar would be amazing, too. :)

    ReplyDelete