Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Cake Balls

Our thirteen-year-old granddaughter is staying with us for a couple of weeks and she wanted to make cake balls. Since everything was already in the pantry, I couldn't very well say no. Besides, cooking together is a great way for grammys and grands to bond. 

First, we had to bake the cake. Duncan Hines is my box mix of choice. Girly wanted white cake, which we were going to tint, but then forgot. Make the cake according to directions on box and bake in an oblong pan.
Allow to cool in pan on wire rack for ten minutes. Then remove cake from pan and allow to cool completely. 
 Once cake is cool, crumble into a large bowl.
Now it's time for the frosting. If you want to make your own, feel free, but we're trying to keep things simple. If I hadn't been so lazy I would have used homemade buttercream. Yum!
Spoon frosting into bowl with cake.
Fold frosting into cake crumbles.
Roll cake frosting mixture into balls. I use a small scoop so they're uniform in size, though there's still some rolling involved.
Freeze for about an hour before dipping. We used white chocolate melting wafers for this batch, but you can also use chocolate.

Melt chocolate in microwave or double-boiler. I put boiling water into a large measuring cup that my bowl nestles into neatly. Then I add the wafers and stir until melted. The hot water also prevents the chocolate from cooling and hardening while I'm working.
Instead of actually dipping the balls into the chocolate, I prefer to spoon the chocolate over the frozen balls until coated.
I use a fork so it's easy to tamp off the excess chocolate.
Then I use a toothpick to help slide the coated ball from the fork onto either  parchment paper, wax paper or a silicone mat. Either of those makes it easier to remove the balls once set without leaving a hunk of coating behind.
If using sprinkles for decoration, add those now so they'll adhere to the coating. You can also drizzle on colored melting wafer, but you can do that after the chocolate has set. 

Once balls are coated, refrigerate until set. 
Kids love these and they're perfect for parties. If you prefer to do the cake-pop version, add the stick to the uncoated balls and do not coat until frozen.

They're delicious, fun, different. Like cake and candy all in one yummy bite. The girl was happy, grammy was happy, even Big Daddy was happy. You can also make these ahead and freeze them. Having a party (once we start having parties again)? Place a few in a cellophane bag and tie with a pretty ribbon for guests to take home. Cake balls are a win-win all around.

So what do you think? Cake balls, yay or nay?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

12 comments:

  1. I love cake balls, and they're so much fun with kids. Mindy, thanks for sharing this today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 comments:

    First - you've certainly demystified the making of cake balls. I have a vague recollection of trying this once in the early days of their popularity. It did not turn out well.

    Second - I have a sweet tooth, but ack, my tooth is aching at the thought of icing mixed in and icing on top. Guess I'm getting old.

    Glad you and the grand are having time together, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, they're not quite as sweet as you might think. Which can be good and bad. Bad because it makes you want more. The frosting ratio is probably less than if you had a cupcake with the icing piped into a pile on the top.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried these. Great fix for when a cake doesn't come out of the pan clean -- it's already on its way to being crumbled! How much icing to you add in? I'm with Cate -- it almost seems too sweet. (Gasp, I can't believe I said that!) But then you say it isn't really. Thinking if I made my own icing I could control how sweet it is (rolling my eyes because icing sugar is pure sweetness)...like a dark chocolate frosting say, heavy on the cocoa, lighter on the icing sugar. That might be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, you can certainly use whatever mixture of flavors you prefer. I've done all chocolate, chocolate with white chocolate coating. I used the entire can of frosting which was about 1 1/2 to 2 cups. And I hadn't thought about it being a fix for a less than perfect cake, but you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they were invented. ;)

      Delete
  4. Yum! I've always wondered how to make these, and now I know!

    Thanks, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I've seen these in stores. I'm saving this to show my daughter. Our birthdays are coming up in about a month and this would be fun to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, they're a nice twist on the same old, same old.

      Delete
  6. Mindy, those are so pretty!! And look very tasty! I had never heard of cake balls until Ruthy shared them once on here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I'd seen them at Starbucks and some bakeries and was always curious. Then a gal brought some to a Christmas party years ago and I asked her for the recipe. I was surprised to learn they were relatively easy.

      Delete