Friday, August 14, 2020

When Your Son Cooks Dinner

 Missy Tippens

My oldest made dinner for us recently. I didn't even share the name of the recipe in the title, because it was just so nice to have him cook for us! That was the best part.

However, it turned out so delicious, I wanted to share it here.

Nick saw this dish on Instagram and contacted the friend to find out how to make it.

I only have one photo. I didn't think to photograph him while he was cooking, because I was sitting with my feet propped up! :)

Salmon Rice Bowl

Cook rice according to directions. We used brown rice.

Boil water, and cook several eggs to the soft-boiled stage.

Brush salmon with olive oil and then season generously with salt and pepper. Roast at 450 degrees for about 12-14 minutes (depending on thickness).

Once the rice is done, for each serving (approximately), stir in 1 tsp of sesame oil, 1 Tbs. soy sauce, and a squeeze of honey (or to taste). The rice doesn't photograph well, but the flavor is very rich.

Serve the salmon over the rice, along with the jammy eggs and avocado. Sprinkle the whole thing with toasted sesame seeds. (You can see we didn't actually use bowls.)

Very yummy! And I was very impressed with Nick's cooking skills. He has always enjoyed cooking. I wanted to make sure all my kids could take care of themselves, so I started teaching them to cook early on (I also made them start washing their own clothes in middle school!). :) It's nice when they return home later and use those skills.


www.missytippens.com

7 comments:

  1. Missy, that's an interesting combination of flavors. We eat a lot of salmon and I always make it the same, so this might be a good way to mix things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, it was surprisingly good. I feared the honey would make it too sweet. But it really worked well with the sesame oil (which I love). And the soy sauce balanced out the sweet with some salty.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Missy, what a good/talented son!

    Like Mindy, I'm curious about the flavor mix. I'll admit, when I have rice bowls, I end up mushing everything together, so I'm wondering - did you eat the eggs and avocado separately, or mush them in with the salmon and rice?

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I ate the eggs and avocado as I went, as if I had chopped them up and put them on top. They both added some richness (fat) to the dish. It was a very filling dish.

      Delete
    2. Also meant to say that, as I said to Mindy, the soy sauce and sesame really went well with the sweet of the honey.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it wonderful when the kidlets turn their cooking skills on us? My daughter made me a scrumptious meal of scrambled tofu last Sunday. I know, I know, I hear y'all groaning from way up here but it really is good! She's a more creative cook than I am and her meals have to have a visually appealing. Lots of colour and texture -- it's the artist in her -- but it does make for a very nutritious meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, Kav! I'm not crazy about tofu, but I bet I would love it made by your daughter!

      Delete