Friday, May 8, 2020

When a Kitchen Shortcut Pays Off

Missy Tippens

How many times have I shared kitchen fails on here? Too many times, I'm sure! haha But I want to share a successful experiment from earlier this week.

I was making one of the delivery meal kits-- fried shrimp tacos. I looked at the instructions that said to dry the shrimp, coat them in flour, then dip in egg wash, then dip in Panko bread crumbs. I said... UM.... NO. It was getting late, and everyone was hungry. Plus, I figured it would be healthier.

So I decided not to fry the shrimp. I wanted to just sauté them. (Sorry, I forgot photos.)

I heated a drizzle of olive oil in the skillet. I did not pat the shrimp dry. I put them in a bowl and seasoned with salt and pepper. Then I sprinkled on a little bit (maybe 1/8 to 1/4 cup) of Panko bread crumbs. I tossed the shrimp with the crumbs and put them in the hot skillet. I sautéed until opaque (it only takes about 3-4 minutes).

They turned out really good!! And took like thirty seconds to prepare them for cooking.

The tacos were so good! We had the shrimp along with slaw (made with a dressing of lime juice, olive oil, and minced garlic). And also a lime mayo (mayonnaise with lime zest).


I'm so glad I did the short version of prep for this dish. You should try it sometime!

www.missytippens.com

5 comments:

  1. I love how easy shrimp are... Missy, this looks marvelous and tasty. Confession: I have never tried a fish or seafood taco.... I usually do a taco salad when we make tacos and skip the burrito shell... There's something so delicious about crunchy iceberg lettuce and taco meat and sauce... And it's not calorie friendly because I drown it in sour cream. It's that crunch I love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I, too, love taco salads! I often opt for that when the family wants burritos. I love it made with romaine lettuce chopped up like they do at Chipotle. :) And yes, I admit liberal use of sour cream, too!

      Delete
  2. Missy, fish/shrimp tacos are my favorite. And I always have frozen shrimp in the freezer because they're perfect for a quick meal. I usually steam them in Old Bay seasoning, along with some water and vinegar. Quick, easy and super flavorful. Then I can put them on a salad or just eat them alone.

    I might have to make these taco sometimes. I either have or can get my hands on the ingredients pretty quick, so I think this may be on next week's menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, if you make them, be sure to add the slaw. To me, that's what makes a taco!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! That hint of citrus in the slaw is, indeed, what makes the taco.

      Delete