Monday, May 18, 2020

Recharging our immune systems, part one


Jan here, talking about our immune systems.

I’m not a doctor, and I don’t play one on TV, but I have been thinking about this subject for the past few years. 

That’s when I started getting very tired of the yearly flu/cold/virus that knocked me out for two weeks every winter. And the weekly round of exposure to the germ-factories (my pre-school Sunday School students) and a day of feeling lousy every Thursday (three to four days after being exposed to the germ-factories.) The next week it would happen again. All winter long. Add seasonal allergies on top of that and you’ve got a good idea of what my life was like.



The last thing I wanted to do was to pump my body full of medicines. Decongestants, antihistamines, pain killers… Yes, I took them all on a daily basis, just to keep my allergies and colds from turning into sinus infections or bronchitis.

And I was miserable. But no longer! What changed? I started working on restoring my immune system naturally. I read theories from different medical organizations and some not-as-medical well-meaning folks, and I used my common sense. I learned a lot.

In our current situation with the Covid-19 virus, I’ve been concerned about my friends and family throughout the country. It seems that a lot of things we are doing are counter intuitive. But most concerning is that someday we’ll go back to normal life and be exposed to other people again. However, our bodies – our immune systems - won’t be prepared. We'll be the perfect target for every germ out there.

Think about it – how many germs (viruses and bacteria) have you been exposed to in the last three months? Through isolating ourselves from the Covid-19 virus, we’ve also isolated ourselves from all the other viruses and bacteria…even the good ones. And that can serve to deplete our natural immunity to the germs that used to surround us every day.

I’ve learned some simple tools that can help us prepare our immune systems for the future. I’m sharing the biggest one today, and I’ll go through the rest of them next Monday.

1) Eat a healthy diet.



This is a “duh” moment, right? We all know a healthy diet is important for a healthy life. Foods can help give your immune system a boost - foods rich in Vitamin A, C, E, B6 and B12, zinc, folate, iron, selenium, copper…the list goes on. I’m not saying you need to memorize the nutrients in all the foods you eat. A healthy diet is much easier than that.

The best way (best because it’s so easy you’ll stick to it) is to eat a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, quality protein, and healthy fats like butter, coconut oil, and olive oil.

A very important thing to remember, though, is to not gorge yourself on any one food. Just because I CAN eat butter doesn’t mean that I down a cup of it a day. A half teaspoon of butter on a serving of steamed broccoli helps make the vitamins in the vegetable more accessible to my body, so I enjoy the bit of butter on my veggies.



The key to getting the large variety of nutrients in our diet is to eat a large variety of foods. Simple? Yes. Fruits and veggies are high in vitamins and antioxidants, which help prevent inflammation. Meat, including red meat, has a lot of quality protein, along with micro-nutrients you can’t get in any other foods.

We've all done our research. We need to use our common sense, eat the foods we enjoy, branch out to try unfamiliar foods once in a while, and eat a varied diet. That practice should supply almost all the vitamins and minerals we need.



But one nutrient isn’t readily available in food. Our bodies manufacture it easily, but there’s a catch. We need sunshine to do it. If you live in the northern hemisphere, there are very few months that the sun’s rays are strong enough to allow our bodies to produce enough vitamin D. On sunny days I make sure I get some sun exposure (10-20 minutes with no sunscreen is not a recipe for skin cancer but for increased health!) In the winter months I take a vitamin D3 supplement.

Here are some foods that can give our immune systems an extra boost:


Berries, especially blueberries




Berries are high in vitamins and fiber, but blueberries have a type of flavonoid called anthocyanin. In a 2016 study (you can read it here,) researchers found that flavonoids appear to play an essential role in the upper respiratory tract's immune defense system.

Dark Chocolate

Okay, this one is a bit controversial. I've heard that the studies claiming the antioxidant benefits of dark chocolate weren't good ones...but hey. I'm going with it. Because even if dark chocolate doesn't provide all the health benefits those studies said it did, it appears that there are some antioxidants in it. Besides, the darker the chocolate, the less sugar you're adding to your diet. I call that a win/win.

Turmeric

We've talked about this one before in the Cafe. High in curcumin, turmeric can improve our bodies' immunity. Turmeric is also an anti-inflammatory and full of antioxidants.

Oily Fish

Salmon, tuna, and other oily fish are a great source of Omega-3's. Much of our diet is overbalanced with Omega-6, and we need Omega-3 to bring it back into balance.

Broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables

Broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts...all these vegetables are high in vitamin C and antioxidants. Some other veggies with the same benefits are kale, arugula, cabbage, bok choy, etc.

Sweet Potatoes and Carrots

These veggies are high in beta carotene, the antioxidant that give them their orange color. Beta carotene is a good source of vitamin A.

Spinach and other leafy greens




These veggies are high in vitamin C. Beware of eating too much raw spinach since it can lead to a build-up of oxalic acid. So eat your spinach in salads, but also cooked. I use frozen spinach (slightly cooked as it is blanched) in my smoothies to add green power.


I've suggested only a few of the many ways foods can boost our immune systems. What are some of your favorites?

Next week we'll look at other ways we can use our lifestyles to boost our immune system. Here's to good health!

*all photos courtesy of PicMonkey



Jan Drexler is an author by day who is addicted to counted cross stitch and sauntering through the Hills with her dear husband and their puppies - goofy corgi Jack and growing-fast border collie Sam. You can find Jan's books and other fun things on her website: www.JanDrexler.com.

18 comments:

  1. Jan you just listed off a bunch of things we have been eating! Just had some bok choy tonight in our "hibachi". Sparrow will be happy to hear about butter being on the list 🤦 however he hasn't figured out the moderation part yet. Tomorrow (Monday) we are going to try a gooseberry salsa to go on our turkey tacos. Since we have to shop what the stores have on hand every few weeks our meat selection varies a lot more. Are beets somewhere on that list of good for you veggies? Maybe I can spin it a new way. We have some golden beets waiting for me to love them. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beets is one food I never ate while growing up. I have a feeling one of my parents didn't like them! But I've learned to love them now. Pickled beets are a favorite treat, but cooked with some butter? Delicious!

      And my list of good for you fruits and veggies was only the tip of the iceberg! I can't think of one that is bad for you, as long as you don't overdo. :-)

      And can I publicly say that I'm thrilled with the way you and Jacob have taken control of your diets? You've turned my picky-eater son into your adventurous (okay, semi-adventurous) eating husband. You're achieving the nearly-impossible!

      Delete
    2. I can't take full credit. There are things I eat now in small amounts that I would not have had before because of him. The produce boxes really help. We still get take out more then I like, but Covid has us cooking more.

      Delete
  2. Sage words, Jan. I often think that diet and exercise and health are just part of God's system for us to take care of our own vessel, our bodies, temples of the Holy Spirit. We get one body and it's so easy to slip off the path of wellness because our world is rife with easy temptation... Great thoughts today, and now I must buy blueberries but because I need to make Mindy's blueberry sour cream cake again. :) Not exactly what we had in mind, right? But so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Mindy's recipe yet. I bought sour cream and blueberries...but then used the sour cream in another recipe. So it's still on the list!

      And yes, I agree completely about God's design for our bodies. He's given us everything we need to stay healthy, barring accidents or other things that can go haywire. It's our job to use what He's given us to thrive.

      Delete
    2. Ruthy, that cake is a delightful thing, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. Jan, I love this! When I see photos of brightly colored food like that, I crave it. We definitely eat with our eyes!

    I've been boosting my immune system with Vitamin C and Vitamin D3. And I do try to eat well. But I'm not great about getting in a lot of fruits these days. Stocking up on apples and oranges helps because they last so long. And we always buy blueberries and strawberries when we can. Oh, and bananas since my husband eats on every day. :)

    Greens like spinach and Power Greens (with kale, spinach, etc) is something we get weekly. I mostly add them to omelets.

    Frozen broccoli is also a regular of ours. So easy to steam in the bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about frozen fruits and veggies is that they retain their vitamins so well in the freezing process. Those same foods lose a lot of nutrients from the time they're picked until they reach our tables. So sometimes frozen is the best option if you don't have a garden.

      And I love those bags of frozen broccoli, too. They're inexpensive, easy to fix, and easy to store. And delicious. :-)

      Delete
    2. I remember being so surprised by the results of my daughter's science fair project eons ago. She was testing which orange juice had the most Vitamin C. We had this cool chemical to test with.

      Turns out the frozen OJ concentrate had the highest Vitamin C. I think the fresh squeezed did if you drank it instantly, but apparently Vitamin C deteriorates very quickly in the presence of oxygen (if I'm remembering her research correctly). Those refrigerator cartons were the absolute worst.

      I was really surprised that frozen was better than refrigerated. But as always, eating an orange is best yet. Can you tell I'm craving oranges. I'm going to have to cave and go to the market soon.

      Delete
    3. Mary Cate, I know that vitamin C in cosmetics breaks down really quickly. So I bet it would in food, too. Interesting!

      Delete
  4. Jan, the veggies are the one thing we really lack around here. I'm trying, though. I did add a fruits and veggies capsule to my supplements to help. I know it's not the same as fresh veggies, but it can't hurt. It's always nice when you can sneak veggies into things, so people are unaware. Like when I add cauliflower to my Tuscan soup and my husband who hates cauliflower eats it and loves it. We won't be having any soup for a while, too hot, however, fruits will be in season soon. Bring on the Pecos cantaloupe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly wait until the local fresh fruits and veggies are available! I planted a salad garden on our deck for fresh greens, and as they grow I can add those to my smoothies.

      Delete
  5. I never thought about FROZEN spinach in my smoothies. I always used fresh before.

    Thanks for the great tips, because we need to stay healthy like never before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nearly impossible to get good produce here in the winter (we're too far from distribution centers and the produce can freeze - even in refrigerated trucks) so I use frozen greens in the cold months.

      I use about two tablespoons of frozen chopped spinach and blend it well with water before I add the other ingredients. I can't even taste the spinach when I add raspberries, blueberries, and everything else, but I know it's there, boosting the vitamin content.

      Delete
    2. Jackie, I usually freeze my fresh produce to use in smoothies especially because that helps make it colder. :)

      Delete
  6. Jan, as you know well, I've been eating out of my pantry these past two months. I was doing well as long as I had frozen fruit, but I'm out of that now. I'm on the end of the dried cherries too. Cereal is going to be bland until I can get to the market.

    I think the part of my pantry eating that is most healthy has been my lentils and quinoa combo. Lentils are very good for protein and for clearing the arteries. Quinoa is a good protein source as well. I usually add in some garam masala and turmeric. Sometimes, some cayenne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently bought some garam masala - I had never found a recipe I wanted to try badly enough to buy yet another spice. But oh! That flavor! It's a staple in my kitchen now.

      It's amazing how spices can really change a dish from so-so to fabulous.

      I hope you're able to go to the market soon. It's one thing to live out of the pantry, it's another thing all together when you start running out of food groups.

      Delete
  7. Cate,

    I wish I could share my fruit with you. I haven't fixed lentils for a while. It may be time to do that.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete