Friday, May 29, 2020

Socially Distant S'Mores with the Kids

Missy Tippens

A couple of weeks ago, we got together with all of our kids and their significant others at our son and his wife's new home. The pandemic hit about the time they put an offer on the house--which made things crazy. But they were able to close on it at the end of March. I was the only one who'd seen it in person (when I delivered cloth masks to them right after they moved in), so this was a nice house warming event for everyone!

Nick and his wife Sarah planned to grill out for us. My daughter, because she'd seen photos of the house on Zillow and knew they had a fire pit, decided she wanted to bring the makings for s'mores. :)

I just thought I'd share some photos with you today. I took quite a few of the flowers and plants in their new yard. The former homeowner had apparently been a gardener--a very nice benefit!





Blackberries, I think!



I love that they have this water catcher under the downspout to use for lawn watering.


Any idea what this is below? Maybe related to honeysuckle? It smelled good but not quite like honeysuckle.


My three kids getting competitive! 


My grand-dogs, resting in their new yard. After living in a 4th floor apartment in mid-town Atlanta for the past couple of years, they're loving having a yard again!



 Auntie is loving some snuggles from her nephew. 


The new kitchen! My hubby and Nick trying to stay 6 feet apart. :) Sarah cooking.


Middle son and his girlfriend got to come, too!



After our outdoor dinner and a walk through the new neighborhood, it was s'more time! For those who don't know what s'mores are... you roast a marshmallow over an open fire, then put it on a graham cracker with a Hershey's chocolate bar, and then top with another graham cracker. A wonderfully sweet, melty, gooey sandwich!


Caught my daughter and her boyfriend in mid-bite. She will kill me for sharing this photo. :)


I'll end with this one of me. My kids were making fun of me because I spent so much time taking photos. So they took a photo of me taking one. :)


We had a great time! It was so nice to be together. I look forward to the next opportunity.

www.missytippens.com

9 comments:

  1. First off if someone hasn't had some form of this tasty treat we must correct this wrong. Also so glad you got to visit with your family! That is so important in this time when we can't do what we want. Good company makes for good times! 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Katie! So true. I really hoped that everyone has heard of them and tried them. :)

      Delete
    2. Although, I should add that I only ate one. They're soooo sweet that that's about all I can handle. haha Now, give me a plain Hershey's bar, and I could eat a couple. It's just the marshmallow that is a little too over the top for me. :)

      Delete
    3. I would agree. If you use a reeces peanut butter cup it offsets it a little more, but I am good for one or MAYBE two.

      Delete
    4. Ooh, Katie, I've never thought of that!! Peanut butter cups are my favorite!

      Delete
  2. S'mores are a favorite around here, but you're right, Missy. When I was a kid I could eat a bunch of them. Now? One...maybe two.

    I'm so glad your family was able to get together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you guys.... I can't do s'mores any more. A bite is enough.... but I love the occasional toasted marshmallow, not burnt. I don't like burned sugar except on creme brule which I could eat all day.

    Missy this is so much fun!!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, when I was a kid, I used to set them on fire and blow them out quickly. I liked them that done! But then I learned more about free radicals. :) Now I just toast them lightly.

      Delete