Friday, May 15, 2020

A Mini Roast :)

Missy Tippens

In the crazy world of online grocery shopping these days, I've learned a lesson: You have to look at the details and add instructions when possible.

Last week, I ordered online for delivery, and ordered an eye of round roast. When it arrived, I about died laughing. It was TINY. But I valiantly started looking at recipes. Every recipe called for a 3-5 pound roast. So I went to check my baby roast. It was 1.5 pounds! hahaha It seriously looked more like an individual steak. :)

So I decided to just make it pot roast style. Too bad I didn't have a mini Dutch oven. :)



I seared the meat on all sides and added chopped onions and carrots.


Then I added some red wine. I let the alcohol cook off. Then added a box of chicken broth, covered it, and put it in the oven at 275 degrees for about 2.5-3 hours for this tiny one. About 45 minutes before it was done, I added potatoes.


It turned out very tasty, and actually made enough for leftovers after my daughter and I ate it.


I'm usually a Crock Pot user for pot roasts, but I decided to try the roaster this time because of the roast size. I think I might do it again!


I may not make this again until next fall or winter. It's about time to start doing more warm weather cooking!

www.missytippens.com

6 comments:

  1. That is so funny. We are still going to the store to look at what is there instead of getting delivery. It's my once a week event. We usually get our roasts on the small side, but I am not sure I have ever gotten one that small lol. You made the best of it and might I add that it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it hilarious, Katie!! But like I said, it was just my daughter and me that night, so it was perfect. :) Plus, the leftovers had plenty of veggies and even some meat.

      Delete
  2. That roast looks like the perfect size for a two-person meal, and your results look delicious!

    We can't get grocery delivery where we live, and like Katie, I still go to the store to get what we need. Always a short trip since I only need fresh items to round out my pantry. But I've heard of people ordering something, thinking they're ordering twelve items when they're really ordering twelve cases. Not a pretty scenario!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost ordered a 6 pound can of greenbeans the other day!! LOL I was trying to order more like 28-36 ounce can. haha

      My husband has been going to pick up items as needed in between deliveries (especially once I shared the cost of delivery plus a good tip!). We do not have a decent sized pantry. It's really pretty pitifully small, so it's hard to stock up well. So I'm still having to get food weekly or every other week.

      Jan, you're blessed with your large, well-stocked pantry! :)

      Delete
  3. It's chilly enough today to want to pull out the crockpot and make a veggie stew. I was in the grocery store this week and discovered empty shelves where the flour should be. I guess these fluctuating food shortages will be with us for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I haven't been able to order my King Arthur flour lately! I need to add it to the list to see if my hubby can get it in-store. If not, I may order from local mills.

      I hope you get your stew! But more than that, I hope you get some nice warm weather soon. :)

      Delete