Monday, May 11, 2020

Eating Out of Your Pantry: Chili Verde and Cornbread

Jan here, in a place that I didn't think we would reach. Going on eleven weeks of Coronavirus shutdown. Can you believe it?

When we went to the grocery store last weekend, the meat cooler was nearly empty, entire shelves had minimal quantities, and the aisles were crowded. Even when there's one-way traffic, between shoppers, employees filling on-line orders, and employees trying to stock shelves, we could hardly move. I'm glad we were only there for fresh items - some dairy and some produce to round out our pantry stock.

And we are thankful to be in a state that didn't shut down. I can't imagine what this time is like for some of you!

I am also very thankful for my pantry!

The recipe I made for our Sunday supper is an old family favorite. I started making Chili Verde back when I was doing once-a-month cooking in the mid-1990's. So this recipe has been around for awhile!

I keep the ingredients for this one on hand at all times. You can use shelf-stable versions of almost all the ingredients, which makes it the perfect pantry meal.

Chili Verde From Your Pantry


ingredients:

1 can chicken breast
1 can chopped green chilies
2 cans great northern beans
1 quart chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped onions (I keep chopped onions on hand in my freezer)
2 teaspoons oregano
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
salt to taste

Mix all the ingredients together in your slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.

Cornbread From Your Pantry

This is where I'm always tempted to use a Jiffy box mix...but made from scratch is better and almost as easy!

I found this recipe on a package of corn meal years ago, it might have even been before we got married. As you can see from the ingredients, some items aren't long-term pantry friendly unless you make substitutions. Canned milk can be substituted for fresh milk and coconut oil (or vegetable oil) for butter. Substituting for the egg is a little harder, but it can be done. Do an internet search for "what to substitute for eggs in baking" and see what works with your pantry.

WARNING! This is definitely NORTHERN corn bread. As Mark Lowry says, it's really cake.

By the way, if you've never seen Mark Lowry's stand-up routine about southern cooking, watch it now. We all need a good laugh!



ingredients:

1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup flour
4 Tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup egg, beaten

Preheat your over to 400°. Place the 1/4 cup butter in a 9" square or round baking pan (I like to use my 10" cast iron skillet) and put it in the oven to melt the butter while you mix the rest of the ingredients.

Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl and the milk and egg together in a small bowl. Add the milk and egg to the dry ingredients and stir until all the dry ingredients have been incorporated. Mix in the melted butter, then pour the batter into the same pan that you melted the butter in.

Bake at 400° for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Sorry...no pictures of the cornbread, but it was delicious.

Meanwhile, we're chugging away here in the Black Hills. Spring was here for a few days before winter hit again on Mother's Day. I've been keeping track - we normally have snow on Mother's Day weekend. :-)

Trips up into the Hills are more enticing now that the Iron Mountain Parkway and the Needles Highway are both open for the season.



And we are getting ever closer to the Vetsch/Drexler wedding in July. We've heard from the happy couple that no matter what the government says, they're getting married on the day they've planned. Even if we can't get there, they know a preacher and they can find witnesses. The wedding is on!

So, how are things going around your place? Snow? Mosquitoes? Are stores and restaurants opening up again, or are you still on shut-down?

We'll chat over our bowls of chili and cornbread!



Jan Drexler is an author by day who is addicted to counted cross stitch and sauntering through the Hills with her dear husband and their puppies - goofy corgi Jack and growing-fast border collie Sam. You can find Jan's books and other fun things on her website: www.JanDrexler.com.






14 comments:

  1. Pantry food is the cornerstone of an emergency. And we never know when something comes along to mess things up, and a good pantry and a stocked freezer is my best friend. We'd always canned and froze food from the summer gardens because with a big family, the first rule of the day is to feed the family. Keep them warm. Stay calm. After the major ice storm of 1991 where folks lost power for 10 days, roads were blocked with thousands of fallen trees and we had no back-up heat, I realized that food & heat are clutch. I learned a lot that spring and gradually made changes (as money allowed, of course!) over the next few years.

    Nothing opening here, although we could be looking at phase 1 opening.... But on the farm, we're working.

    Getting things ready, lining things up, planning planting days (weather dependent) but making sure people are available because we do so much by hand.

    Now we just need warmth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having light snow here, today. Just enough to remind us that spring is a fickle season!

      And yes, it took living through an snow storm and ice storm or two that convinced us we needed to be serious about our preparedness.

      Warmer weather will come soon...praying that it will be soon enough for a successful farm season!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jan, cornbread is a staple for our KentuckyhKentucky but I use about half of the shortening. 1/4 of oil and no sugar. My 6 year old granddaughter prefers it fried and often asks for flat cornbread. The last three nights have been killers, literally. Temps at 26, 28, and frost last night. More frost us predicted tonight and then we can start the re-planting.
    Thanks for sharing your recipes,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried to say Kentucky home but my friend autocorrect once again stepped in!

      Delete
    2. I learned to enjoy Kentucky cornbread when we lived in the Lexington area for five years, but I still love my northern corn-cake. :-)

      Delete
    3. Connie, I grew up on pinto beans and cornbread in Kentucky. :) My dad's favorite. We always put about a tablespoon of sugar in ours. :)

      Delete
  3. Jan, someday you'll get full fledged spring! :)

    Georgia has been opening up, but I'm not ready to go out yet. Still don't feel like it's safe yet. My son and girlfriend did come yesterday, but we kept distance while they were here (set up a card table for them to eat at). haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also meant to say thank you for the pantry chili recipe!! I can't wait to try it!

      Delete
    2. Goodness. Why post one comment when you can post 3??! LOL

      Also meant to say I loved the video. hahaha

      Delete
    3. I love Mark Lowry, and this is one of my favorites! I always think of him when I make cornbread...um, cake. :-)

      Delete
  4. That video clip was fun. I have't seen any of his earlier stuff. It's been ages -- like decades -- since I made cornbread. Might have to change that when next I make up a pot of chili.

    I went to the hardware store today -- they just opened again after two months of only curb side pick up. Still have to practice social distancing in the store and they limit the number of shoppers allowed in at one time. There were line ups the first day -- Saturday -- but today it was nearly empty. I'd already checked online for the stuff I wanted and noted down which aisles to go to so I was in and out in a flash.

    I needed some new gardening tools -- discovered the push pull hoe on youtube and decided I really needed one. lol About to go out and give it a try and see if it's the miracle weeder everyone promises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have to let us know how it works!

      And I'm so glad you were able to get out. It's rough when you have to put off getting needed items or visiting important people like the dentist!

      Delete
  5. Jan, this chili looks similar to a white bean chili recipe I have. Something we probably won't make around here for months. Yeah, we're bordering on summer. Sigh. And if we don't get some significant rain before summer's heat really hits us, I'm afraid we'll be in a another drought. The cow tanks are so low and any rain we've had is soaking in.

    Grocery store items are still kind of hit-and-miss around here, but we've managed. I was able to add some more meat to the freezer over the weekend and add to my bacon inventory. Bacon is an essential, you know. ;)

    And the cornbread. Yeah, no sugar in mine. Buttermilk instead of regular milk, but the rest is similar. Sorry about the snow. It's time for that nonsense to come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I don't miss Texas summers! And we lived in West Texas with less humidity. I can't imagine...

      Of course, I say that sitting here at my desk wearing winter clothes and watching the spitty snow/rain/mist outside...in the middle of May!

      Delete