Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Coconut Cake and Life in the Country

I love coconut. I can remember eating it right out of the bag when I was a kid. Okay, as an adult, too. Still, I don't indulge in coconut desserts that often. So when I do, it had better be good.

Well, the craving hit a couple of months ago, so I had made sure to pick up a bag of coconut on one of my grocery runs. Of course, you know what happened then. It kept calling to me, mocking me every time I went into the pantry, wanting to know when I was going to make something with it. And I knew what that something was going to be. Coconut cake. 
I love this recipe. It makes a nice, rich cake.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
  • 4 tablespoons melted butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup sweetened flake coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Grease 9x13 baking pan with butter or spray. 

Combine all ingredients except coconut in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Scrape down sides then continuing mixing at medium speed for two minutes.
Add coconut. 
 Fold into batter, then pour into prepared pan and spread evenly. Batter will be thick.
Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Remove from oven and allow to cool before frosting.

For the frosting, you will need: 
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • ¼ cup heavy cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ½ cup sweetened flake coconut
Whisk all ingredients except coconut together until smooth then fold in coconut.
Spread over cake. You can serve immediately or chill before serving.
I usually eat it right way because I can't wait, however, what's left is always chilled because of the whipped cream. And I think I like it better chilled. It's not a light, fluffy cake, but it's not dense either. Just moist, rich and delicious. All winners in my book.

Well, we discovered some more baby wrens this week. 
Their parents built this next in a cubbie on one of our utility vehicles. We never even knew the nest was there until the babies hatched and started making noise.

And here's what I saw as I pulled out of the driveway one day.
Even out here in the country, this is not a common sight. 
Just a family out having some fun. Of course, it was about 85 degrees with at least 70 percent humidity, so I'm not sure how much it really was, but don't you know those kids got a kick out of riding down the road in a buckboard wagon.

What's something you love to eat, but don't fix very often? And what holds you back?

Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

7 comments:

  1. Now I need coconut cake. I haven't tried this version, Mindy! Tina Radcliffe did one on here that I love, and I love, love, love coconut cake, so I'm all over trying this.

    Thank you for sharing it, and what a picture! Buckboard, horses, happy family..... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, one thing I like about this recipe is that the cake isn't super sweet. Some coconut cake recipes add coconut cream and, to me, that makes it a little too sweet. But I do love the texture of coconut. Some folks don't care for it, but I say bring it on.

      Delete
  2. My husband will love this recipe! I don't have cake mix in my pantry, but I can make a cake from scratch, right?

    YUM!

    And your picture reminds me of when we lived in Amish country. On hot summer days families would often leave the buggies behind and come into town or go visiting in the spring wagon or buckboard. It always looked like the perfect way to travel on a lovely day.

    I'm not too sure I'd want to do it in 85° and humidity, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I couldn't help laughing because when I first saw them I did a double take, curious if it was some Amish folks. Even though we don't have any around here. It was a fun sight, though, and they were gracious enough to let me take their picture.

      As for the cake, if you have sour cream, find a way to add it. I think that's clutch for the richness without being heavy. You'll have to let me know.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this look amazing!! I love coconut cake but I don't think I have never made one. I think it's time to remedy this!

    I love your little birdies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, the birdies are cute, but annoying. The cake, however, is AWESOME! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, Mindy. You're calling my name with coconut. I LOVE coconut. Right before this all hit, I had bought a big bag of it, and I've been sprinkling it on everything - my morning cereal, my lentils, my coffee cake. Now if I had a working oven, I could make your coconut cake, too.

    ReplyDelete