Thursday, May 7, 2020

Chocolate Crinkles Revisited (AKA: Christmas Crinkles!

Ruthy note during Covid-19: I made these at Christmas, six months ago... and we had way too much food for the holidays so I froze half-a-dozen containers of cookies and fudge for "later" ... And now I need to put actual food in the freezer so I've been sharing the containers of frozen treats with people I love... and we realized these cookies are about the best things going. And dipping them into the melted white chocolate is just the perfect addition! And these are good any time of year, they're a chewy, moist cookie and have become a family favorite... And while I should have done a COOL MOTHER'S DAY POST, farm season is beginning and there were things to be done this week!!! So we're re-doing this cookie recipe because it's worthy enough to make on its own, and enjoy all year long!

CHOCOLATE CRINKLES!

I love that name. The word crinkle makes me smile. It's such a perfect word for that kind of a look...

Or the top of a sheet...

Or a cookie!

I wanted to try to fancy up chocolate crinkles for the holidays and/or the farm stand next summer. Chocolate is a huge favorite with customers, so I'm always on the look out and this recipe is wonderful. I based it on one I found online and the one I used to use and the result was a really good, chewy cookie that could actually be used as a whoopie pie or moon pie (half chocolate/half white icing)... but let's look at the Merry Christmas version today!

This recipe makes about five to six dozen cookies. I wanted a big batch so I could freeze some.

CHOCOLATE CRINKLES

4 cups flour
1 cup cocoa
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Mix those together and set aside.

In large mixing bowl, cream these three ingredients until light and fluffy:

2 cups soft butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar (I use dark brown because I like that background flavor tucked behind the chocolate)
1/4 cup Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

Once this is fluffy, add 4 eggs, and beat until thoroughly mixed. Then add flour mix, 1/2 at a time, blending it in.


PHOTO BOMB OF HALLMARK'S "CHRISTMAS TOWN" PLAYING IN BACKGROUND... :)


Using a medium cookie scoop, drop about 2-3 inches apart on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.



Bake at 350 degrees until cookie is soft but set in the middle. In my convection oven, this was about 9-10 minutes. Remove from oven.



Cookies will deflate and "crinkle" as they sit.

Once they're cool, dip half of cookie into melted white chocolate or regular chocolate for a "Death by Chocolate" type experience! I did mine with white chocolate and sprinkled crushed candy cane over them for a more festive appearance. We didn't "dip" them, though. That was like white chocolate overkill. Instead, I painted the chocolate on, swirling it with a spoon, and then Ava and Shannon sprinkled crushed candy cane dust (which is akin to fairy dust and can be used in place of fairy dust in an emergency situation) over the chocolate. These are crazy delicious cookies! A new fave!



Definitely going to stand the test of the Herne and Blodgett family holiday celebrations. We'll see what the "fam" thinks!

Multi-published inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne is just at home at the keyboard or the Kitchen Aid mixer, both of which are considered specialized equipment in her house! You can find her hunkered down, hiding, writing sweet stories that make folks smile, cry or just go "aww..." OR you can friend her on facebook, follow her on Twitter (she doesn't like Twitter, but follow her anyway) stop by her website ruthloganherne.com or simply email Ruthy at loganherne@gmail.com. She loves to hear from folks! 

9 comments:

  1. These look delicious, Ruthy. Cookies - the food of life!

    Before you iced them, they reminded me of one of my favorite cookies from Financier (remember that coffee shop we used to meet at?) The only difference is those had walnuts mixed in.

    Happy Farm Season beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, these are just like those. That same texture and I'd love them with walnuts. Adding that to the list of ways to try them!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. These look so yummy why should we limit them to only Christmas consumption? I actually have all the ingredients on hand -- might just give this recipe a try...well, half of a recipe since it's only me. Good to know they freeze well. They look like perfect milk dunkers too. :-)

    I'm having fun gardening -- getting ready to plant my own wee veggie patch. Minuscule in comparison to your farming efforts but I'm giddy excited anyway. Especially since we got word that all the gardening centres can open fully starting tomorrow which means I'll be able to get tomato and pepper plants. Eeep! Eeeep! Eeeeeeeep!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, garden patches are so exciting?!!!!! I'm so happy for you! And we've expanded our porch greenhouse to hold 100 pepper plants and 100 eggplant plants, so now both sides of the east-facing porch are wrapped in 6mm plastic.... I can't see out! It's so weird!!!!! I love that your stores are starting to open... be safe. And be happy, my friend.

      Delete
  3. Yum! Must try these. Thanks, Ruthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherida, they are so good.... so good! I can't even sing their praises loud enough... and Cate suggested walnuts like a cookie we like at Financier, a pastry/coffee shop in NYC.... But I think walnuts AND chocolate chips would be the bomb!!!!!

      Delete
  4. These are some of my favorite cookies!

    And I'm impressed. They never would have survived this long in my freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, if they're in the freezer I think twice about going to get one. That doesn't STOP me, but I think twice. If they're on the counter, it's just fair game.

      And they might be calling to me right now!!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Ruthy, chocolate crinkles were one of the first cookies I ever made. They were my favorite, but we always did the powdered sugar. But the white chocolate? YUM! I'm definitely doing that next time. Thanks for bringing back fond memories and a new trick.

    ReplyDelete