Tuesday, May 12, 2020

More Pantry Cooking - Chocolate Fried Pies

Lately, we're all doing a lot more cooking and relying on what's in our pantry, freezer and fridge to get us through, so I thought I'd go back in the Yankee-Belle archives and share a dessert recipe that has been a favorite in our house for as long as I can remember.

When I was a young bride, God placed two special women in my life that were very influential. Without my girls' grandmother and great grandmother I might never have learned how to make biscuits from scratch. Or cornbread. And who would have taught me to make fried chicken or chicken fried steak? 

These two born and bred Texans introduced this transplanted northerner to a whole new way of cooking. One I heartily embraced. And though these woman have both passed on, I am proud to help carry on their culinary legacies.

One of the things Greatmom was know for most was her fried pies.
She made these little chocolate hand-pies whenever the grands would visit. And she rarely paid them a visit where she wasn't required to make a batch.

Greatmom came from "the greatest generation." She grew up during the depression and sent a husband off to WW II while raising four little ones. Money was something that was always scarce, but that didn't stop her from making great meals and treats, even on a shoestring so thin it broke if you tugged on it.

You may have heard me talk about her biscuits before. Love them! But her basic biscuit recipe also served as dumplings (click here for her chicken and dumpling recipe) and the basis for her fried pies.

First for the biscuit recipe.

In a mixing bowl, combine:
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable or Canola oil
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
Mix well, turn onto floured surface and knead until no longer sticky.  
Form into ball and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup cocoa and 1 cup sugar. Set aside.
Pinch off a small ball of dough.
Roll ball into a 5 to 6-inch circle.
Spread flat with softened butter. Don't be too chintzy, but don't be heavy-handed either.
Sprinkle with two tablespoons of sugar/cocoa mixture.
Fold in half and--here's Greatmom's trick for sealing the edges--roll a saucer or small plate around the edges to both trim and seal.
 
They're ready for frying.
Greatmom usually fried hers in a small amount of butter. Since I didn't have enough, I used canola oil, which actually made them puffier.

Brown first side, then flip over and cook until other side is golden brown.
Greatmom's little chocolate pies. See the chocolaty center oozing out? 
When the kids are around, these things are gone in no time. They eat them as fast as I can make them. One of life's simple pleasures.

What are some of your favorite simple pleasures?


Three time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, one sassy pup, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com




6 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I've never thought of this, Mindy and it looks like they're delicious, fattening and therefore most important! :) Thank you for sharing it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, in my experience, fattening usually equates to delicious. Not always, but many of the things I enjoy most seem to be that way. These are fun to make with the kids, too. They can spread the butter and sprinkle the sugar/cocoa mixture.

      Delete
  2. These look fabulous! And even though I shy away from frying anything, the small amount of oil looks doable. :-)

    Thanks for the recipe, and enjoy your spring/summer! We have snow and spitty rain today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely a splurge, Jan. That's what makes them special. And I'd be happy to trade weather with you. ;)

      Delete
  3. Ooohhh -- a new way to inhale chocolate! I like -- especially since it isn't deep fried 'cause that scares me.

    Spring is finally here to stay...well, it's going below freezing tonight but after that it's warming up. And Mother Nature got her snow hissy fit over on the weekend so I might be able to start planting soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for spring, Kav! I know you're eager to start planting. And yes, you can absolutely inhale these. I've done it many a time. :)

      Delete