Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Quarantine Pasta Salad?

I love when I try something out and it exceeds expectations.

The pantry is getting bare, and I'm going to have to suck it up and go to the supermarket soon, but not yet.

I had some leftover penne - because I still have not gotten used to cooking pasta for one and made way too much.

I also had a can of chickpeas.

On a whim, I simmered the chickpeas with some oregano, garlic and basil. Then I swirled in some apple cider vinegar, and poured the whole thing over my cold penne.



I guess you'd call it a pasta salad. I'll just call it...

DELICIOUS!

Caveat - I like the taste of apple cider vinegar so this totally worked for me. If you don't like it, you might prefer to substitute some other kind of dressing.



12 comments:

  1. Pasta salad is an easy go to. I like to use dressing with ours. Recently I made one with ceasar dressing, olives, and marinated artichoke. Turned out good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that sounds good, Katie. I was working with what was left in the pantry which wasn't much. LOL

      Delete
  2. Quick and easy. I like it, Mary Cate. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks light and delicious! And I love how using your pantry is making you extra creative...whether you want to be or not!

    I hope a trip to the grocery store will be coming in the near future. Can you do curbside pickup? Or do they deliver?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could probably get delivery now, but for awhile there were just no open slots. But our stores are having senior hours starting at 6:30, so I'll go then.

      Delete
  4. I love vinegar dressings.... when I met Dave and his mother used oil and vinegar on cucumbers, I was amazed.... we always had vinegar and salt and pepper.... later I realized we couldn't afford oil, but I love it with just the vinegar. I would love this, Cate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was fine without the oil too, Ruthy. Simple reason, I'd used it all up the day before. :)

      Delete
  5. You know, I'm not sure about Cate's situation in Brooklyn, but I know a couple of folks that said the cost of delivery makes pick-up the only alternative.... unless a $25 delivery charge for crossing the street (not even kidding) seems fair. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is horrible Ruthy! My mom and sister have been doing pick up and said it's pretty slick. In and out. They are in a smaller area.

      Delete
    2. I never actually calculated it, but based on the size of the bill for the trial order I put in a basket, it was very expensive.

      Delete
  6. Somehow I missed your post yesterday! I'm not crazy about vinegar other than red wine vinegar. So I might try it like that! My favorite dressing to put on pasta salad is Ken's Greek salad dressing. I love that!! It's not too tart.

    ReplyDelete