Friday, November 8, 2019

Quick Everything But the Kitchen Sink Soup

Missy Tippens

Well, I don't have anything very new or exciting to share today, except some soup that I've probably made before. :) But I also thought I'd share these precious photos of my sweet grand dog. Poor baby yanked out another toenail while jumping out of the truck less than an hour after being at Grandma's house. I'm so thankful it didn't happen on my watch! But I feel so badly for the poor thing.

Here's the day it happened, after my kids took him to the vet.


And here's my sweet baby the next day. Doing better but still in pain and trying to get some sympathy from Grandma.


Oh, how I hope to have human grandkids someday too. :) And I don't think I'll have to worry about them yanking out toenails! Of course, I'm sure you grandmas worry about everything else. :)

Soooo, for today's soup. Our weather turned cool one day a few weeks ago (after having a 97 degree day in October!). And I went looking for things to put into soup.


I decided to use up the frozen field peas with snaps that had been in the freezer for probably a year. They may have had a little frostbite, but we couldn't taste it.

I also located canned corn, Rotel tomatoes and chilis, and canned diced, fire-roasted tomatoes.

I started by heating some oil in the pot and adding in some tomato paste to add richness. Then I sautéed the frozen veggies for a couple of minutes.


I went searching further in the freezer and found a bag of stir-fry vegetables to add. They had little noodles in them! So that ended up being a cool addition. They also had broccoli and carrots, and I think peppers and onions.

Once the vegetables had thawed, I added the canned veggies and a box of chicken broth.


After everything had simmered for a while, I added a can of pinto beans to increase the protein so the soup would stick to our ribs better.

It really turned out good! Next time you want a soup starter, look to see if you might have some frozen vegetable, especially a stir-fry mix. And enjoy a quick, easy, hearty soup.

By the way, the new edition of All God's Creatures for 2020 just came out!! I'm so thrilled to have 10 devotionals included. I got my author copies and have been reading ahead. I'm really enjoying the devotionals! You can check it out here.




www.missytippens.com


10 comments:

  1. Oh poor grandbaby! My mom gets what I call grandma fever as my sister's kids get older lol however grand dogs and cats work! I love making soups out of what we have. Recently I started getting a produce box from misfits market. It gets delivered right to our door and I don't have to pick out produce! It's so fun planning meals around them with whatever else we have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, Katie! It does sound fun to get the box and then figure out what to make. :)

      Delete
  2. Ps Bond has broke a toe nail a couple times. However being the tough guy he is we hear a Yelp and then all is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must hurt so bad. This is about the third or fourth time Tucker has done this. The whole nail pulls out, and it bleeds like crazy. My dog did it once, and I thought I'd never get the carpet clean.

      Delete
  3. Oh, poor Tucker! Wynter pulled out a toenail once, and it was awful! The pain for the poor dog - and then the blood! And the poor dog doesn't know enough to just stop moving around!

    This soup looks great! But "Field Peas with Snaps?" I've never heard of them! Of course, any southern vegetable is hard to find up here.

    And I'm so glad your weather is cooling off a bit. We're expecting a wonderful weekend with highs in the 60's, but it won't last. This time of year our temperatures go up and down like crazy - we had snow two days ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, enjoy the warm up! We're actually going to get into the 20's next week. I dread it! Plus, we just learned one of our furnaces is about to die and needs a new motor. Since it's 20 years old, we're replacing the whole thing. I just hope it makes it through the cold while we're waiting for the new one. :)

      Delete
  4. Ouch! That sounds so painful Poor grandpuppy! I've had five dogs and never ran into a pulled out toenail but I accidentally cut a toenail down too low and that was enough blood for me! Shudder. He looks so cheerful rocking his cone of shame but those sad doggy eyes in the next picture pinches at my heart. Poor baby!

    I love mixing up a chili or soup with pantry odds and ends but I have never considered adding in frozen veggies before. How crazy is that? What a great idea. And I wouldn't have thought of sauteeing the veggies first so thanks for that idea too. The next time I'm scrounging for a 'train wreck' dinner, I'll remember this post. Which will probably be when we're caught in the middle of a deep freeze blizzard and I can't get out to the grocery store. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I, too, have clipped a nail into the quick. I felt so TERRIBLE! After that, I never clipped them myself. I was too chicken. Always took them to the vet.

      I love your term "train wreck" dinner!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, those nails bleed like crazy and it's so hard to keep pups from pestering them! And the soup looks marvelous, Missy!

    And Jan, I saw snow coming your way... and mine! And I can mail Son #4 some cookies this week because Texas cooled off... so change is in the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I can't believe y'all are about to get snow! You need to head south for the winter this year. I promise to get the pest control guy to come first so you won't have to endure giant bugs. ;)

      Delete