Monday, November 18, 2019

Country Livin' and Homemade Yogurt

Jan here, still enjoying country life.

Sometimes I feel like Eddie Arnold from Green Acres! Without the farm, of course.

There have been some expected adjustments to country living. We anticipated the quiet and the open horizons. We were looking forward to seeing multitudes of stars at night and counting the passing of time by the phases of the moon. And we weren't surprised by the coyotes and other wildlife...



But one thing that we weren't certain about was the distance from amenities like grocery stores and gas stations. As we looked for our home in the Hills, that was an unknown until we actually found our place!

When we take a walk in our neighborhood,
we take the road that curves up the hill
into the trees. A beautiful, peaceful route.

It turns out that we don't live close to groceries. It's seven miles to the nearest convenience store/gas station, and thirty miles to the supermarket.

That means planning and learning to make do. Because if I want to make hamburgers for supper, I had better have the ingredients on hand...or else fix something different!

But we also planned ahead for that. For more than ten years we have maintained an emergency food pantry. You can read about our pantry here: Living Out of Your Pantry



As we get closer to winter, our pantry has become even more important. It takes planning to store the staples we use and rotate the stock so we're always using it up. There's a saying that's true: "Store what you eat and eat what you store."

But what about the fresh foods? The perishables?

That's where I bring out the recipes from back when we rarely bought prepared foods out of necessity - we needed to live within our budget! So I've started making bread again (not nearly often enough for my dear husband) and other foods from scratch.

When I first thought about making my own yogurt, I had flashbacks to the 70's (that's the 1970's for you youngsters!) Do you remember cookbooks like "Laurel's Kitchen?" *shaking my head at how long ago that was*

But with my Instant Pot, making yogurt is a snap. It's also a money-saver, and a way to keep a supply of yogurt on hand.

Yogurt in the Instant Pot
(This may be your excuse to put an Instant Pot on your wish list!)

ingredients:

1/2 gallon 2% milk (or use whole milk if you want full-fat yogurt)
2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (make sure it has live cultures and no added anything)

Note: I've heard that you can't use your homemade yogurt to provide the live cultures, so I buy a small container of store-bought and use a couple Tablespoons at a time. But I've also heard that the longer your yogurt ferments, the more live cultures you get. So this might call for some experimentation!



Anyway, on to the yogurt.

This is easy-peasy.

If you don't have an Instant Pot with a yogurt setting, you can use your oven to make this. Search on-line for cooking directions. :-)

If you do have an Instant Pot with a yogurt setting, you're all set.

First, pour the 1/2 gallon milk into your Instant Pot. You can also use a whole gallon, but the 1/2 gallon makes enough to last a week in our house.

IMPORTANT! Don't add the yogurt yet!

Set your pot to "yogurt," and press the button until it says "boil." The cycle lasts about 1/2 hour.



When the boil cycle is done, remove your Instant Pot liner and set it aside to let the milk cool - about another 1/2 hour.

Use your thermometer to check the temperature - you want the milk to cool to 95-105°. If you don't have a thermometer, it should be lukewarm. If it's too hot, it will kill your yogurt cultures.

There might be a "skin" on top of the milk - just skim it off and throw it away. Add about 2 Tablespoons of yogurt per 1/2 gallon of milk and whisk in.

Put the liner back in the pot again, and press "yogurt" until your timer says 24 hours. Put on the lid and leave it for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours.



Note: the longer you leave it, the more "yogurty" it will taste. I like to go between 8 and 10 hours.

After the time is up, your yogurt is done! There will be some whey, but your yogurt should be fairly solid. You can store it in your refrigerator now, or you can strain it to make Greek yogurt.



If you're making Greek yogurt, set a colander over a large, deep bowl. Line the colander with several layers of clean cheese cloth, and pour in your yogurt. Cover the colander with plastic wrap and put the whole thing in the refrigerator.

You'll want to check it every couple hours - the whey drains off pretty quickly. Let it drain overnight, but less than 12 hours. You can save the whey and use it in smoothies or add it to your dog's food. It's full of protein and carbs!

And that brings me to the advantage of Greek yogurt: because the whey is strained off, the resulting yogurt still retains a lot of protein and the other good stuff you find in milk...but without the carbs.

I use the yogurt for smoothies (see my Quick and Healthy Smoothie recipe here) or a favorite super-quick snack, Raspberry-Yogurt Swirl (recipe here.)

Do you think you might try making homemade yogurt? Or do you already make your own?





Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-seven years.





11 comments:

  1. You finally did it!!! So excited! I do the cold star method for ours. I have to buy ultra pasteurized milk and just whisk in the starter and set the timer. I learned a handy tip with straining. If you aren't good with cheese cloth like me you can use flour sack towels! Boy it made that part so much easier since they scrape off clean. We like ours thick though so I have actually let it strain for a full day. One time more on accident and it almost made cream cheese! lol Another thing you can use the whey for is your next starter! Some people say they freeze it. It's just so exciting to see it worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do ours for 10 to 12 hours. It gets a little more tart. With the cold start I have been experimenting with adding different flavors to it since the other half doesn't like plain Jane like the boys and I do ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I finally started making yogurt, and I love it. :-) Your yogurt making inspired me to take the plunge.

      I actually feel more secure with heating the milk first (actually re-pasteurizing it) rather than using the ultra pasteurized milk. I remember when I first saw ultra pasteurized milk sitting on a shelf in a grocery store in Germany forty years ago...I've never gotten over the feeling that it was just plain wrong. LOL!

      Delete
    2. Was it not in the fridge? I wont buy the stuff that is just on the shelf. I also feel this way about bacon that is just sitting on a shelf. It works either way :) the nice part about the yogurt button is it keeps it up to temp. Tastes so much better then the store bought. Sams club sells some granola (organic I think) with pumpkin seeds etc in it that pairs well.

      Delete
  3. I will not mention how dusty my Instant Pot is... maybe this winter I will tackle into it, and making yogurt would be easy and productive, Jan.

    I have inadvertently made yogurt mid-summer on the kitchen counter. And it became a teachable moment for youngsters, because once chilled and sweetened, it was quite good! When kids realize that yogurts and cheeses are really soured milk or clabbered milk, it's an eye-opening moment.

    Great idea here. And I'm in love with Jack and the deer and the blessing of this new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Instant Pot is dusty? How in the world did that happen? I use mine several times a week --- oh, I get it. LOL!

      The best thing about making yogurt is that it is SO HANDS OFF! Even more than making bread. And even easier than bread.

      Can you believe it???

      Delete
  4. No instant Pot here -- just a very old crock pot. :-) Yogurt making is so beyond my comfort zone, I think! You are very pioneerish, Jan. But -- eeeepppp!!!! - I have a copy of Laurel's Kitchen in my cookbook collection! It's like the bible for vegetarians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew somebody would remember Laurel's Kitchen! I never owned a copy (not being a vegetarian!) but I borrowed it from the library and read it cover to cover.

      Please tell me I'm not the only one who reads cookbooks!

      Delete
    2. Jan, I've always read cookbooks!! In fact, my family used to tease me because I bought so many and only read them, didn't often make the recipes. LOL

      Delete
  5. Oh, Jan, that photo of Jack!!! Michelle and I went crazy for it. All those ears (deer and dog)!! I just love it. Michelle said, "I think I'm going to cry, I want Jack so bad." haha (I've been showing her all the pictures since before you got him.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also meant to say I've never considered making yogurt. I just don't eat enough of it. But I'm really fascinated that my IP will make it!

      Delete