Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Hot cereal for a cold morning

Don't you hate it when you find something you really like...

and then it disappears!

Either the store stops carrying it, or the manufacturer stops making it.

That happened to me recently.

I have a loooooong morning at school, so I need a good breakfast. Last year, I discovered a breakfast cereal that I loved. Bakery on Main Ancient Grains Amaranth Multigrain and Quinoa Multigrain.





Then they disappeared from the grocery store.  😥

Then Amazon said Out of Stock - not sure when it will be restocked.  😥

Then they weren't available on the company website. 😥

I was so sad. 😥😥😥😥😥😥

Their oatmeal multigrain cereal is good, but I can't eat oatmeal every day. It just doesn't fill me for the morning.

 I was forced to find an alternative.

I made my own quinoa in advance, then heated it in the microwave each morning and added in an assortment of berries, hemp seeds or sunflower seeds.








The berries taste much better than they look!

I may have buried the quinoa in sunflower seeds.

Tri color quinoa



The pictures don't really show it well (and they loaded backwards).
Amazon said the cereal was back in stock, so I ordered it, but they sent Blueberry Scone Oatmeal instead.

I was sad again. 😥
Amazon refunded the money.  Happier, but not happy because I still didn't have my cereal.

Today, as I was preparing this post, I found the cereals in stock on their website again.

I am cautiously optimistic.

But in the meantime, I learned that even though I've never been a fan of quinoa, I actually really like the tricolor quinoa as a hot breakfast cereal with nuts and fruit added.



And now a funny Halloween side note:

These hay bales were set out for Autumn decorations, but with all the rain and heat and sun, they started to sprout!




7 comments:

  1. I love hot cereal more then oatmeal. The chocolate is my favorite. Sometimes when traveling I'll grab some of the instant packets that just need water. Then put some cream and butter in. Mmmmmmmm I hope your favorite is on its way this time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, if you happen to check back, what is this chocolate cereal of which you speak?

      Delete
    2. I think it's the malt O meal brand.. similar to what you show here. I know it's by the oatmeal at Walmart usually. :)

      Delete
  2. Grrrr -- I hate when companies do that! We get all attached and loyal to their product and then they decide to switch it up or stop carrying it or whatever. The Body Shop does that a lot -- switching out old faithfuls for their new lines. Gah!

    But we're talking breakfast cereals. I'll admit I'm pretty stodgy when it comes to breaking my fast. It's slow cooked oatmeal all the way. A dash of maple syrup a handful of fruit and a dollop of cream (if I'm feeling decadent or celebratory) and my morning is complete. 365 days of the year regardless of the temperature. Call me a creature of habit. So...your fancy schmancy hot cereal alternatives have never hit my radar but I feel sympathy pains for you. I hope Amazon doesn't disappoint you this time. I find the notion of buying grocery products from Amazon so bizarre -- that's the stodginess in me coming out again. :-)

    I think the sprouting hay bales are a hoot! If this crazy weather keeps up you could plant seeds and have a garden by Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your oatmeal sounds delicious, Kav. Unfortunately my body does not digest oats well, so I end up having a carb crash way before lunch. That doesn't seem to happen with these cereals.

      Delete
    2. Kav, I agree about The Body Shop! I've lost my favorite a time or two.

      Mary Cate, have you tried steel cut oats? Those seem to last a lot longer for me. I buy McCann's Irish Steel Cut. They microwave in about 5 minutes (I make them with almond milk and cook at 50% power so they don't boil over).

      Delete
  3. Mary Cate, that's so funny about the hay sprouting! hahaha

    Thanks for sharing about these breakfast cereals. I'll definitely check out the tricolor quinoa. I've never seen that before! I'll also check out your other cereals now that they're back in stock. Hope you're able to buy some now!

    ReplyDelete