Wednesday, November 20, 2019

A Pathetic Appeal for Help

Hey there, Cafe folk.

Guess what - no new stove.

When I ordered it - and paid $400 extra to have the new stove installed (gas hookup) and the old one carted away, you'd think SOMEONE might have thought to tell me that those things don't happen on the same day, and, IN FACT, they don't even call to even discuss dates for installation for several days after delivery. Let's not get into how the old one was supposed to be hauled away if the installer who needs to disconnect the old one doesn't come for a week after the new one is delivered!!!

Long story short - I refused delivery. I'm not on board for that kind of deceptive customer service (especially when the delivery guy offers to take care of it on the side for a small fee after I already paid a heft fee for it to be done legitimately).

So, thank you for letting me get that off my chest!

So, now it's back to the drawing board, and I'm going to use a small local appliance dealer rather than the big box store.

But in the meantime, I am SO sick of takeout and variations on it. When your online order from the local BBQ place says You have previously ordered this item 6 times, you know it's a problem!

Between brisket and smoked turkey from the BBQ place, pizza, chicken tenders, mashed potatoes, rice, lentils, Mac and Cheese, etc., I'm just sick of everything!

So, does ANYONE have a suggestion for some variety? It has to be either microwaveable or able to be cooked on the stove top.

HELP!

On a more positive note, aren't these sky pictures pretty? The other night, as temps were free-falling below freezing, the sky had a surprisingly tropical feel.








8 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so sorry to hear this! Cate, just when you thought you had it all taken care of... GRRRRRR.........

    Okay, so grilled cheese with bacon is a standby favorite here.... Any and all soups with Sister Shubert rolls warmed in the TOASTER... it works great and I do it because who wants to heat up the oven for one or two rolls? Just slice 'em and toast 'em lightly.

    Keep a plate of cooked bacon in the fridge. It keeps for a week, easy, and you have it to throw on sandwiches or salads.

    A pot of stew.... or chicken and gravy. Can be used with rice or biscuits... wait... back to Sister Shubert rolls in the toaster! :)

    Mashed potatoes.

    Sweet potatoes.

    Squash (cooked on top of the stove, then mashed)

    I can make a meal out of any one of those, a bowl of squash is my go-to grab-it-quick meal.

    I would rather have peanut M&Ms but my pants tell me to eat more lettuce.

    I do prefer squash over lettuce, LOL!

    So sorry about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy I had a coupon for those rolls and got a couple of bags! I'm taking them with to make for church Bible study tonight.

      Delete
  2. We ran into the same kind of problem with installation of new appliances...but it wasn't a "big box" store, it was a regional (almost local) business. Grrr.

    Ruthy's suggestion of buying the precooked bacon is a great one. When we were houseless last summer, I used them for everything from sandwiches to salads to soups.

    One of my favorite quick dinners is popcorn dressed up with whatever strikes my fancy. Nutritional yeast adds a nutty flavor, and garlic and Parmesan cheese is fabulous. It's fun to experiment.

    Other than that, Ruthy about covered my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! That's so frustrating! And infuriating! My washing machine just died and I'm hand washing everything because I can't face the ordeal of trying to figure out whether to get it fixed or replaced. It's seventeen years old -- but how do I shop around for a repair person who won't give me the run around? And what if it ends up costing more to repair than it would to buy a new one? But then I'd have to figure out where to buy a new one, pay for the kind of swap and set up deal that clearly didn't work well for you and...agggghhhh. I've gone radical pioneer with the 21st century bonus of a dryer at least.

    What about slow cooker recipes? I can live a whole week on any of those. Plus there'd be just the one time prep and then you'd just need to heat it up the rest of the week...if you can stand eating the same thing day after day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for the headache with the delivery!! My go-to is always spaghetti. I do a regular meat sauce but also often just make a sauce with sautéed veggies. The parmesan makes it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about this! Now let me think about what I want made this week that didn't involve the oven. You could cut up some chicken into cubes and saute them ready to put on a salad, Mac and cheese, you could boil brats (so they don't burn) then fry up with sour kraut, get an instant pot on sale to open up your options lol, burgers, chicken and rice, pork chops, "baked" potatoes, fried potatoes, and any of these can be made with steam vegetables. Oh chicken dumplings, fried fish, sauted kale with lemon and bacon, Jacob has been doing wraps with lunch meat, cheese, spring mix, and dressing for work. You could also mix up some slaw of some kind. You got this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure how my keyboard got want from have lol 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pain, Mary Cate. Praying you're able to get things worked out soon so you can have a fully functional kitchen.

    If it's cold, I'd be heating up a lot of soups. Maybe a salad on the side. I know there are many more healthy frozen options nowadays. Gluten free, vegetarian, vegan. Perhaps you could try several of those and then critique them for us. What's good, what do we need to stay away from. Granted, they won't be the same as homemade, but at least they're hot and, possibly, passable. My all-time favorite comfort food is still a frozen chicken pot pie. With a top AND bottom crust, thank you very much. Matter of fact, we had them for dinner one cold night when I was on deadline. Michelina's makes on that's larger and it was really yummy.

    ReplyDelete