Monday, November 4, 2019

Jan's Cheeseburger Pie

Jan here, enjoying the last days of autumn!




We've had a couple snow storms already, and the days are decidedly Novemberish. But does that mean it's boring?


Not at all!

One view that I enjoy almost every morning is this same mountain with the sun shining full on the white granite. I stand amazed as I watch the light play over Black Elk Peak (aka Harney Peak.) My morning tea can wait. My breakfast can wait. Even Jack's morning walk can wait while I spend those first five minutes of the day watching God's sunrise show. The light changes constantly... Someday I'll catch it with my camera and you'll get a taste of my morning delight!

Of course, the evening vespers are just as beautiful...


We are so thankful, so very thankful to be living here!

I'm also happy to have a kitchen to cook in again! I'm still getting used to the higher elevation (our new house is at 4000 feet) and my new oven, but nothing beats being able to fix meals!

This recipe is one I adapted from my Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook. I liked the idea of the original recipe, but I spiced it up a bit. There's even a version with macaroni for those of you who just want a quick casserole for a chilly November evening.

Here's my version of Cheeseburger Pie:

ingredients:
(4 to 6 servings; double the recipe for 8 to 12 servings.)

1 pound ground beef
1/4 cup diced onion
1/2 teaspoon Montreal Steak Seasoning

1 cup pasta (macaroni, penne, etc.) cooked and drained (optional – leave out for low-carb or gluten-free)

1 egg, beaten slightly
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream (or milk)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese

1/4 cup additional shredded cheese for the topping



Preheat your oven to 350° and prepare a 9” x 9” casserole dish (or 9” x 13” if you’re doubling the recipe.)

Brown the ground beef until no more pink is showing, then add the diced onion and Montreal Steak Seasoning. Continue cooking until the onion is soft.



Meanwhile cook your pasta (if you’re including it) and prepare the topping by mixing the egg, mayo, cream and cheese in a small bowl.



Put the cooked beef in a layer on the bottom of your greased casserole dish. Spread the egg/cheese mixture over the top, then sprinkle on the final 1/4 cup cheese. (If you're adding the pasta, spread it in a layer over the ground beef mixture before you add the cheese.)



Cook, uncovered, in a 350° oven for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.


It is delicious with a huge helping of broccoli on the side!

And speaking of sides...


This is the buffet (or sideboard) that was in pieces last week. We're so pleased that it fits in well with our table! I wish you could see it in person - there's nothing like the warm glow of wood!

Meanwhile, Jack is growing and growing.


He'll be five months old on Wednesday, and is old enough for his rabies tag - see it peeping out from under his name tag? This milestone always reminds me of the scene in Lady and the Tramp when Lady gets her grown up collar and tag. :-)

But even though he's growing, I think he'll be smaller than Thatcher was by the time he's done. He's almost ten pounds under Thatcher's five-month weight.


But we still think he's the cutest corgi in the Black Hills!

How is your November weather brewing? Are you ready for warm comfort foods?



Jan Drexler spent her childhood dreaming of living in the Wild West and is now thrilled to call the Black Hills of South Dakota her home. When she isn’t writing she spends much of her time satisfying her cross-stitch addiction or hiking and enjoying the Black Hills with her husband of more than thirty-seven years.
 



10 comments:

  1. Jan, I make the THM cheeseburger pie all the time. It's one of our faves. Except I usually use the Worcestershire Pub Burger seasoning. Which I can no longer find and that ticks me off. The Montreal Steak is too peppery for me. But we love this cheeseburger pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I got so excited about the cheeseburger pie (I think we'll have it for dinner tonight), that I forgot to talk about Jack. He's so cute. And I know you are loving that view. So does the altitude mess with your baking?

      Delete
    2. Hi, Mindy! I've just recently discovered the THM cheeseburger pie, and like you, I've adjusted the original recipe to fit my tastes and my family's. Some folks just can't stand not having their pasta! But now that we're empty nesters, we're pulling back on the simple carbs. :-)

      And yes, the altitude messes with baking and cooking! Above 3000 feet, water boils at a lower temperature, and that affects almost everything. I usually have to shorten baking times, but reheating soups and other leftovers requires more cooking time for food safety (for instance, instead of bringing leftover soup to a simmer or boil, I let it boil for a few minutes before serving it.) It's complicated. I would complain, but then I think about folks living at 6000 or 8000 feet...the changes I have to make are minor!

      Delete
  2. I'm happy you've gotten settled in and get to enjoy those beautiful views! I'm gonna have to try this casserole soon. I think my husband would like it...if I don't let him know it's from THM ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby knew it was a recipe from THM and still enjoyed it!

      And we love our views... :-)

      Delete
  3. Those views are incredible! And your sideboard turned out beautifully. What a find! My heart is all a flutter over those Jack pictures. He's losing his puppy fuzz...but it's still there around his ears. Lovely colouring. I checked out breeders in my area -- there's only one and the waiting list is so long they don't even post pictures of litters on their website. They are all spoken for practically before conception!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like your area needs another corgi breeder!

      They're often used for stock dogs around here (they were originally bred for herding cattle,) so finding a puppy is easy - especially if you are happy with a corgi mix. The stockmen like the corgi/Australian shepherd cross. The blend of the two breeds makes a great working dog.

      We got Jack from a friend of a friend in Minnesota, but we could have easily found a puppy here. I think you need to come for a visit!

      Delete
  4. Jan Jack is just too cute!! I can't wait to come visit him and love on him! Someone thought he has had this bake before. I just won't tell him when I make it, but promise there will be pasta in ours to satisfy someone else ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to make a casserole that was similar to this "back in the day." :-) But this one is two-person sized and simplified.

      And yes, someone has to have his pasta, doesn't he?

      Delete
  5. Jan, little Jack is the cutest thing ever!! What a sweet, handsome boy!

    Thanks for this yummy sounding recipe!

    ReplyDelete