Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Apple Pumpkin Lentil Soup

Confession - I fell asleep last night before I posted, so this morning I decided to share this again for two reasons - it's REALLLY COLD (our temperature dropped about 30 degrees since yesterday), but I can't really complain.

According to the NY Times:
In Texas, recent warm weather gave way to numbing cold, with the “feels like” reading dropping from 92 to 31 in places like McAllen


I've also been eating a lot of lentils lately.

But the great news is my new stove is due to be delivered this week, so I can finally cook again.

Apple Pumpkin Lentil Soup

 (I'm not sure what happened to the photos, sorry! They vanished.)
I know the rest of the world seems to be into everything pumpkin, but for me, this time of year is all about the apples.

Okay - so this recipe has pumpkin.  I need to keep that rest of the world happy too.

This was a recipe that I debuted here on Yankee Belle as a guest back in 2012, but it's so good and our weather has temporarily cooled down, so before the apples get lost in a deluge of pumpkin, here's a wonderful savory soup.

Apple Pumpkin Lentil Soup 
There wasn’t really a recipe originally. I kind of made it up as I went along based on flavors that I felt belonged together. I guess that’s sort of the pantser way of cooking. But it’s all good in the end.


These are the ingredients I started with:
Chicken (or vegetable) broth, canned pumpkin (I used the large can because that’s what I had.), spices (I used Garam Masala, Nutmeg and cinnamon. I LOVE Garam Masala. It does include cinnamon but I wanted more!), apples and lentils.
Assembling the ingredients and chopping up the apples is really the hardest part! After that it’s just a matter of mixing it all together and letting it simmer.
First I added the broth to my Dutch Oven. I used two of these containers of broth because I wanted enough soup to have lunch all week. Feel free to adjust or use a combo of broth and water. I used chicken broth the first time because it was what I had on hand, but I prefer vegetable broth.

I dumped in a whole bunch of the spices after that. Sorry I can’t give measurements, I just shook – a lot. Less on the nutmeg because it has a stronger flavor. You can adjust the spices when it gets to the tasting stage so for now, go with less if you don’t like spicy.
 





Next comes the pumpkin.



Next I peeled and cut up apples. You probably could do it without peeling, but I peeled.
I had a bunch of apples that were starting to go soft so I used about six, but it doesn’t have to be that many. I think I only used three last time. Go with your feelings about apples. For me, you can’t go wrong with lots of apples.


Simmer awhile.
See how specific this is? It really depends on how close you are to wanting to eat. The longer you simmer, the thicker and richer it gets. When you’re about half an hour or so away from wanting to eat, add the rinsed lentils. They absorb a lot of the liquid so this is where you want to check to make sure you don’t have pumpkin apple stew. Add liquid as needed or leave it alone if you like the idea of stew.

I had some pumpkin seeds in the cupboard so I toasted them to sprinkle on top. They added a nice crunch when I was eating.

 Enjoy!

 This tastes really good with some warm focaccia bread.

PS - you can substitute squash for the pumpkin if you don't love pumpkin.



Now - why eat lentils?

I love this description - Lentils, a small but nutritionally mighty member of the legume family, are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. Not only do lentils help lower cholesterol, they are of special benefit in managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal. But this is far from all lentils have to offer. Lentils also provide good to excellent amounts of seven important minerals, our B-vitamins, and protein—all with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up—not out. 

7 comments:

  1. I haven't had lentils in years, and I think it was a lentil soup at a diner. It was so good! I had no idea how wonderful they were, they rank up there with chick peas. I love them, too.

    I have never tried this recipe, with or without lentils, but I have everything on hand, so maybe this weekend as we scrounge the last forlorn baskets of unsold squash out of the snow.

    Cate, I've seen the temps around the country and that hard, fast cold seems almost inescapable. The good thing is I was able to send cookies finally to my Texas son! A blessing for him. :)

    Great seeing this recipe. And I have to say, it's great being home with six or seven inches of snow so far... and more falling. We've broken all records for cold yesterday and today and the snow is piling up.

    Do you remember that the same thing happened last year? We had snow and cold by early November... our seasons seem to give up the changeover time these days and kind of just erupt in winter and summer.

    And now the sun is shining and the snow is still falling.

    Really hard.

    It's an amazing thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it being 8 degrees when we were in Maine for Thanksgiving last year!

      Delete
  2. Mary Cate, I bought a bag of lentils a couple of years ago after you posted a recipe and they are still in my pantry. I need to correct that. And I can attest to the dramatic temperature change in Texas. Once that front it, our temps literally dropped 20 degrees in 20 minutes. Talk about announcing your arrival. That front came in with a bang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if you were affected by it, Mindy.
      Break out those lentils. I'm going to do a stew with them next!

      Delete
  3. I have a lentil soup recipe on the menu soon. Maybe if that one works I'll try this! Pumpkinis a squash and this makes me have to share that I made squash Mac and cheese today! Cooking for the church Bible study tonight and thought the kids might like it. I'll let you know! Lol welcome to the world of cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That recipe intrigues me, Katie. Be sure to let us know how it goes over.

      Delete
  4. Crazy weather -- we got a ridiculous amount of snow and it's certainly chilly out there. About to head out for a walk. Love soup on days like this and lentil is my all time favourite. I love lentil anything but have never pared it with fruit...must get brave and try. Though I see pumpkin and think cookies or pie or bread. And apples are cobbler or sauce or pie. lol

    ReplyDelete