Wednesday, January 27, 2021

A Fond Farewell with a Traipse Down Memory Lane

 I felt like I should make some splendid recipe for my final post here at the Cafe, but when you've gone over a year with no oven (thanks, pandemic!), it's kind of hard to continue being creative.

But then I came up with another idea - I decided to share my favorite memories about each of my cohosts here at the cafe.

Mondays are Jan's days. I loved reading Jan's posts because I got a glimpse of a life that is so very different from my NYC life.

I'll probably never get to visit the Black Hills, but Jan showed us their glory in all seasons from

Come for a hike with me 


to The Best Christmas Tree Hunt Ever!


Thanks, Jan! I'm going to miss my forays into your neck of the woods!


Tuesdays mean Mindy is dishing up about ranch life. What I will remember most about Mindy's posts is that she's the one to blame for my snake cover.


I was writing a scene in Texas Witness Threat and I needed to distract my hero. I thought of Mindy and her rattlesnake posts and decided to use one. Ooops.

Mindy has shared so many wonderful posts with wonderful recipes like Texas Sheet Cake, but I love this one - Armadillos are NOT Cute. 



*shudder* 

Someday, Mindy, we'll meet up at another RWA.


Wednesdays were mine so we'll pass right over them.


Moving on to Thursdays and hundreds of posts from our Yank, Ruthy in the cozy yellow farmhouse. But honestly, only one word comes to mind - PUMPKINS!








Except not really. When I think of my favorite Ruthy posts, they all center around the children. We watched these little ones grow from teeny babies to real people! 









Thanks for sharing the grandchildren, Ruthy. You've baked some amazing memories in that Yellow Farm House! Someday, if you ever make it back to NYC, coffee is on me.


And finally we had Fridays with Missy - The Belle.

When I think of Missy's posts a few things come to mind, but primarily: 

Family 



Food photography 


and food delivery services like Dinnerly.



And I'd never even heard of Chocolate Cobbler before Missy!



It's always sad to close the doors, but it will be great to have an archive of fabulous recipes that come with a bonus of sweet memories of time spend with friends.


One of my favorite Dr. Seuss quotes sums it up quite nicely: Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. 

So very much has happened within the walls of this cafe, so we should all be sporting wide smiles!


And Fenway sends fond farewell wishes as well.





Love, Cate

11 comments:

  1. What a great trip through the memories, Cate! And it's so appropriate that you ended up with a picture of Fenway. Such an elegant dog in his old age. :-)

    Since you skipped Wednesday, I'll share a special thought of my own: Before you started sharing the sights of Brooklyn and moments of your life there, my images of the city were gleaned from books like "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." Thanks to you, my mental images have been updated...but still dominated by streets lined with brownstones. So lovely!

    That Dr. Seuss quote is one of my favorites, too. There are always a few moments of sadness when something like the Cafe comes to an end, but the enjoyment of taking this journey with all of you outweighs them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. Can you believe I've never read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn?

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful memories, Mary Cate. And you should be thanking me for talking about snakes. I mean, would you have put one in your book if I hadn't? Now you're a Publisher's Weekly best selling author. So while we can agree that snakes are detestable creatures, they can serve a purpose. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, Mary Cate! I loved this. And I especially love that quote. I'm so happy our blog happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Missy. ANd I'm so grateful you invited me to be part of it.

      Delete
  4. So many good memories! Thank you, Mary Cate. I loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The perfect Ode to the Cafe! Now you have me all sniffley. And shuddering over that cover. Mindy and her guys should be ashamed of themselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, how can I possibly be ashamed when that snake made Cate a best-selling author? ;)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I found myself wanting to reverse course and stay open, Kav. *sniff sniff*

      No comment on the snake. *g*

      Delete