Friday, January 22, 2021

Favorite Friday Reboot

Missy Tippens


I'm sorry to be posting late! The holiday and a root canal threw off my internal calendar! Back in the day, I used to do Favorite Friday posts. In those, I often shared some of my favorite things and newly discovered favorites. I thought I'd re-post one of those today. Enjoy!

***

Missy Tippens, here. And I have a new favorite salad to share. Let me say, first, that it takes a little longer to prepare than Ruthy's cabbage salad (which I've eaten twice this week already!). But I love my new favorite. And it's still pretty quick...

Missy's Wilted Spinach Salad

Ahead of time, boil some eggs to keep on hand for when you want this salad. Store in fridge.


Ingredients for 2 large meal size servings:
Baby spinach leaves (I buy pre-washed to make life easy)
Mushrooms (about half a container)
1 shallot
4 slices bacon
2 Tbs. Balsamic Vinegar
2 Tbs. Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbs. sugar
2 Boiled eggs
(Wheat thins are optional to snack on while cooking and got included in the photo by accident!! LOL)


Fry bacon on medium heat.


While bacon is cooking, chop the mushrooms and shallot.


Remove cooked bacon to absorbent paper towels and and SAVE THE DRIPPINGS (a nice way to say grease). (For Kav and other vegetarians, just skip the bacon and heat some olive oil in the pan.)


Add scallion to the skillet and cook until translucent. Add a pinch of Kosher salt (optional, but something I feel the need to add to any vegetables I'm cooking!)


Add the vinegars, whisking constantly.



Lower temp a little and add the sugar, whisking constantly. (Be careful of how hot it is. The second time I made this, the sugar hardened and I made a very strange candy!) :) Cook a couple of minutes until reduced.

Meanwhile put however much spinach you want into a serving bowl and add the mushrooms.


Pour hot dressing over the spinach and toss immediately to slightly wilt the greens.


Top with crumbled bacon and chopped eggs. Toss.


Serve and enjoy!


8 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, Missy! Bacon AND mushrooms are both favorites of mine, though I might keep the mushroom a little bigger. I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold the phone! Ignore what I said about keeping the mushies bigger. For some reason I was thinking they were cooked and would shrink. My bad.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, if you cut and then cooked, they'd be really tiny! :)

      Delete
  2. I love this type of salad! Lots of flavors and textures. :-)

    I can see prepping the ingredients at the beginning of the week and having several days of healthy salads ready to grab and go. That's almost as good as going out to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Missy, what a fun blend of foods and flavor! Thank you for this... and darling, it wouldn't be us if we didn't post late now and again. :) It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm a real pro at late or forgotten posts! haha You have covered for me several times through the years. So I thank you!

      Delete
  4. Ouch to the root canal. I’m feeling sympathetic tooth pain. I’m thinking adding some brown lentils to this recipe in place of the bacon might be tasty. I’ll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete