Monday, January 25, 2021

The Best of Jan's Best, part two

 As we ease into the last week here at the Cafe, I'm sharing a nostalgic post from the past.


The Cafe has been around for what - ten years? Eleven? And you have been with us through many changes during those years. The biggest change for most of us is that our nests have gone from full to empty - - to full again - -

We've celebrated births of grandchildren, weddings, new puppies, new houses, new books...and we've also suffered some losses. And you've been here with us through it all.

Today's post is a rerun from before my daughter got married and left the nest. As I read through the recipe, I got a serious craving for Carrie's Monkey Bread. This might mean a trip to the store...


Monkey Bread to the Max
by guest blogger, Carrie Drexler (now Carrie Orr!)

Hi Everyone!
Carrie and her youngest brother.
Isn't he every girl's dream?

It's Carrie again, filling in for my mom. 


 The problem with having two bakers in the house is that sometimes we want to use the same pan. This happened yesterday morning; I wanted to make this simple monkey bread recipe, and my mom was going to make a sour cream blueberry cake (I think she's still going to make it, check back next week). Both recipes used the bundt pan, but since mine meant getting gooey maple, brown sugar monkey bread for breakfast before church, I won out.


I would not consider myself a Pinterest addict, but there are some great recipes to be found through that site. This was a recipe that's been pinned on my Pinterest board since I joined the site a couple years ago and I've never found the time to buckle down and make it. It was super simple and looks amazing.

First, preheat the oven to 375, and grease your bundt pan.

Then gather up your ingredients!

1 ½ Cans Pillsbury Grands Biscuits
3 TBSP Butter (melted)
½ C. Pancake Syrup
1/3 C. Packed Brown Sugar
½ tsp. Cinnamon
¼ C. Pecans (Optional)



I forgot to clean up behind my ingredients. Don't worry, you can leave out the cat treats and Ritz crackers.




Mix together melted butter and syrup. In another bowl mix together brown sugar, cinnamon and nuts (if using, I left them out).




Pour half the syrup in the bottom of the pan and sprinkle half of the brown sugar mixture over the top.




Layer your biscuits on top of that in a circle. The great part about this is that you can use fewer/more biscuits depending on the number of people (you'll just have to watch the bake time).



Pour the rest of the syrup over the top and sprinkle the rest of the brown sugar. It already looks delicious!



Bake at 375 for 25-30minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown on top.



Look at that gooey maple goodness. They were definitely delicious and super easy. This is a Sunday morning keeper for sure.



I celebrated my birthday at the beginning of the month and since then came across this picture from my second birthday. As you can see, a love for baked goods was instilled at a very early age.


Carrie's 2nd Birthday 


Thank you, Carrie, for sharing your recipe. And yes, it was delicious! And as promised, next week we'll have a Blueberry Sour Cream Cake recipe straight from southwest Michigan.

And what Monday would be complete without a gratuitous puppy picture?


Thatcher heard that puppy kindergarten starts this evening...does it look like he's ready for it?

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *  

Back to 2021 - 

Have a great week, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I forgot this recipe, Jan, and I love the Carrie emotion that goes along with it! :) I had tried the butterscotch pudding monkey bread that one of us posted, but I think I'd like this one better and do it with my real maple syrup..... Next weekend, I'm trying this! Putting Grands on my list! Although I expect our own dough balls would work, too... they are easier, and gosh, I have a love for easy.

    And now I'm so glad you dug this up!!!!!

    And it was a beautiful wedding!

    THATCHER...... Oh good grief, can you even?????

    I had Maddie, Mick and Libby then.... and Libby is the only one still with us, and she's having age problems. But as long as she's comfortable she gets to stay... Jan.

    You've got to be a tough nut to love dogs because we have to be rugged enough to say goodbye.

    Sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It WAS a beautiful wedding! Our family has had three weddings while I've been here at the Cafe, and all three have been as unique as the brides and grooms, and all three have been absolutely wonderful. :-)

      And Thatcher lives on as a character in my cozy mystery series! He's just as much fun on the page as he was in life...but maybe a little bit smarter as he helps my sleuth stumble onto some clues.

      Man, I miss that dog. Saying goodbye is hard. It's been almost two years since we lost both Wynter and Thatcher within a month of each other, and the hurt is beginning to fade from the memories.

      But now we have Sam and Jack. Jack is a fluffy marshmallow - such a cuddly dog! He loves to snuggle. But Sam...he's over a year old now and beginning - just beginning - to get to the point where he can entertain himself for a few minutes. I think border collies invented ADHHHHD!

      Delete
  2. Monkey break. Sigh. One of life's simple pleasures. An indulgent one at that.

    It's been so fun to watch our families change and grow. We always gave insight into our little worlds. Worlds that varied, yet still had much in common. Food, family and a love of writing. I'm so glad we're all still together over at Seekerville, otherwise I think I'd be blubbering my way through this response. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monkey bread is the best - especially this recipe! When the children were little, I'd make a cheap version (back before Pillsbury Grands were invented, I think!) but Carrie's monkey bread beats it hands down.

      And yes, it's been great to get a glimpse into family that are so similar, yet different. We'll still be in touch, though!

      Delete
  3. Jan, I'm so glad you re-shared this! I love monkey bread but had lost my recipe. Now I'm reminded that there's one here for posterity!

    So true what you said about all the changes. That's one reason I'm not cooking nearly as much now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I stop by the cafe today, I've added a new level of craving! I really do need to get some Grands this week. I think I could make a two-person version of this, don't you?

      Delete
  4. The puppy picture!!!!!!!!! I'm soooo puppy crazed since everyone in my neighbourhood seems to have adopted one this past year! And that darlin' pic of little Carrie with her super straight bangs. How did you achieve that? My daughter always turned her head at the last second so her bangs list upwards in every toddler picture. lol

    It's been fun stepping into the cafe every day -- I'm going to miss the chats! And the puppy pictures. :-)

    ReplyDelete