Monday, January 11, 2021

January Musings and Planning for Spring!

 Jan here, in the middle of a gray January afternoon.


We had fog on Saturday morning, and the temperatures hovered around 28° all day long...and that means freezing fog, or hoarfrost! I remember reading about hoarfrost in old stories (maybe Dickens?) and thinking how awfully cold it sounded.

I was right. Even though the temps were warmer than they could be for January, the chilly damp seeps into your bones. But Sam didn't seem to care.


While Jack happily snoozes in the house, Sam can't wait to go outside. And he loves posing for pictures! As soon as he sees the camera, he sits. Silly dog!

And the leash? A necessary item. We have a herd of about two dozen mule deer in our neighborhood. They wander around eating whatever they can find, and often take their afternoon siestas in our yard. On Saturday they were at the neighbor's and Sam was safely on his leash.

It's not so much that I'm worried about him chasing the deer as it is that the deer can be dangerous. There are two good-sized bucks in our little herd, and they can kill a dog that they see as a threat.

One of the things Sam and I did on his walk was to visit our garden.


Yes! This is new! We have four units in our building and last year three out of the four of us decided to start a shared garden space. Last summer the younger one of us spent his spare time putting in a fence (it's nearly complete.) The ground has been tilled, covered with composted horse manure, tilled again, and is enjoying a winter of snow fertilizer. In the spring we'll be ready to plant.


We have an 8' x 10' spot, and I hope it will be this end. I plan to put in some perennial plants right away (rhubarb and asparagus,) so I often cast a longing look toward this corner. :-)

While I wait, I spend many hours planning the garden. Unlike Ruthy, I am NOT planning to plant thousands of mums! Eventually I hope to grow all of our summer produce here. But for the first year, I'm sticking with some tried and true easy friends - beans, radishes, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, potatoes, and peppers, among others. I know it will take a few years to get the garden up to speed. After all, a year ago this was a grassy meadow!

Another chore we took care of on Saturday afternoon was doing an inventory of our food storage pantry and freezer. We straightened, counted, and planned what we needed to bring the inventory up to the next level. We're ready for a blizzard (whenever the next one comes!)


Then, once the dogs were walked and before it's time to start supper, I turned my attention to this project!

I love this picture. Years ago when I had just graduated from college, I backpacked through Europe. One day I visited Neuschwanstein Castle. I stayed at the Youth Hostel in nearby Fussen the night before, then walked to the castle. I took the tour, then also toured nearby Hohenschwangau - King Ludwig's ancestral home. (To tell the truth, I enjoyed Hohenschwangau more!) While I was on that tour, I might have touched the piano that Richard Wagner played when he visited the royal family.

While I work on this puzzle, those memories swirl through my mind. What a wonderful way to spend a long winter afternoon, don't you think? And it's a good thing I'm enjoying it, because this puzzle is HUGE! 2000 pieces! Four and a half feet long! Two feet wide! 


But before I knew it, it was time to go upstairs and fix supper. This night it was my favorite Tuscan Style Soup, aka "Zuppa Toscana." You can find the recipe here.

It may have been a quiet afternoon, but, you know, I enjoy those times. Life is hectic enough. Sometimes we just need to slow down, muse on the future, and soak in some quiet peace.

What kinds of things fill your quiet afternoons?



Jan Drexler has always been a "book girl" who still loves to spend time within the pages of her favorite books. She lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her dear husband of many years and their active, crazy dogs, Jack and Sam. You can learn more about Jan and her books on her website, 
www.JanDrexler.com.





5 comments:

  1. Ah, a peaceful afternoon... It oozes through this lovely post. I love the garden (which we know needs a fence from the veggie-loving four-footed friends). How fun that will be! A shared garden, too... I'm so excited for you!

    There is something so therapeutic about growing things for some of us. I get that not everyone loves gardening... but if it's in your genes, it's a wonderful thing! A little bit of soil and compost: Bonus!

    But while Farmer Dave loves puzzles...

    I don't. It's not my gig. He had to take the weekend off from his current one because we turned the dining room into a craft room for the weekend, so I draped a sheet over the table and we made wreaths and wall hangings on Saturday and Sunday... So it was fun, there were six of us and we had one gal off-site making wreaths, too... and another off-site gal painting flags. But today I'm clearing the table to give Dave his puzzle space back. :)

    And it's funny how puzzle-building seems to be genetic. Some of the grandkids love it... others don't give it a second glance. The mystery of genetic imprinting! Oh, that God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely got the gardening gene! I don't feel at home unless there's a garden for me to dig in. When we first looked at our new house, a garden was the one thing I knew I would have to give up. Townhouses and gardens don't mix, right? Except when your townhouse neighbors feel the same way, and together you own almost two and a half acres of land. :-)

      And then there's the puzzle thing. I didn't get the puzzle gene...or maybe I only got a hint of it. If there's a puzzle laying around, I might put in a couple pieces here and there. But every Christmas, after the big dinner and the presents, and when the house is quiet again, I start a puzzle because that's what my mom and my grandmother loved to do. They had the puzzle gene, and I do my puzzles in their memory.

      The problem this year is that I chose this monster puzzle! I usually do 1000 piece puzzles. I start them Christmas night and finish soon after New Years Day. But I started this one at the beginning of December and I'm still putting in pieces! Uff da! But I won't give up.

      Maybe when I'm done I'll box it up and send it to Dave. :-) If you have a table big enough for it!

      Delete
    2. I'm terrible at puzzles for some reason! Just seeing the size of yours, Jan, makes me shake my head. haha

      Delete
  2. Jan, I love the garden and the hoarfrost. That evergreen is gorgeous adorned with it. I had to laugh about Sam posing when he sees the camera. Too cute! And I love that soup, though I usually make the THM version. I have to laugh, because even my husband and boys who normally hate cauliflower love that soup. Me, I just sip my soup and smile. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan, I love that Sam sits for photos!! That gave me a good laugh. I wish our grand dog would be so cooperative!

    It sounds like you're all prepared for the inevitable blizzard. For someone who lives where it rarely snows, that sounds so exciting! Well, except for the fact that I get chilled even in our weather. I don't think I'd be cut out for surviving blizzards. :)

    ReplyDelete