Tuesday, December 29, 2020

White Mac & Cheese

 So I'm trying to find a recipe for a white mac and cheese.

Wanna know why?

Because I used to love, love, love that macaroni and cheese IN A CAN.

It might be because we couldn't afford to buy it, or because it was a rare thing to have at a neighbor's house, but gosh... I loved the stuff! 

So I grabbed a recipe off the internet last night and it had great reviews... It's supposed to be like Panera's mac and cheese.

I have never had Panera's mac and cheese. I've had their broccoli soup. It was good. I've had their bagels... not as good as a couple of local bakeries, but I find that's generally the way with bagels. Somehow the locals do it better.

And this mac and cheese is good. Really good. I cut down on the macaroni because there were only three of us eating, and that made it too saucy. You probably didn't know there was such a thing!!!!

I should have cut the sauce in half. My bad.

But other than that, we liked it. I thought it was a little too thick. I'd either sub in one more cup of milk for the cream or cut the flour in the roux, but it was delicious even with those caveats. 

The recipe is HERE ... 



And I didn't change a thing but I would thin it a little more and I used Farfalle (bowtie) pasta.

I'd go with Celentani or elbows next time. Or shells. But I didn't have those in the cupboard, so...


 

And from the canine side of the farm, here is Maggie (Goldendoodle) with her newest feline BFF "Milky Way".... The cat is just like her cousin Pumpkin. They hop into Maggie's area and cuddle with her. It's our very own peaceable kingdom here on the farm!


And this is one from pre-Christmas week .... Brody and Mary wanted to soak eggs in vinegar. So we did... The vinegar breaks down the minerals in the shells, making them SOFT... and that was weird! And leaving them out doesn't rejuvenate the calcium. They stay soft and awkward looking. Clearly God knew what he was doing when he made the shells hard!!!



Kitchen science is a fascinating past time! 

And that's it from the farm today... An okay recipe from a really cute website, weird eggs and cat and dog besties... We are so blessed!

And toss in a new .99 novella available on Amazon or on KU! Great suspense story... and a great price! 

DECEIVING DEATH AVAILABLE HERE! 





Inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne loves what she's doing... and often pinches herself to see if it's real because how could this possibly get better? Really cute kids, healthy family and a job she's longed to do all her life... Puhlease, God is good! You can find Ruthy hanging out on Facebook, or visit her website ruthloganherne.com or email Ruthy at loganherne@gmail.com where she actually answers her own email and loves to hear from readers. Wishing each and every one of you a blessed and happy New Year!!!!




2 comments:

  1. A suspense novella from Ruthy? I have to read it!

    And I love mac and cheese, even with extra sauce. :-) We also use a variety of pasta shapes. Some shapes give you pockets to hold the sauce, while others cling to just enough of the sauce to let the pasta stand out. Variety is king!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's times like this that I wish I read ebooks. This Mac and cheese recipe...I've never used cream before no wonder it looks so decadent. And that tsp of dry mustard! Gah! That's what I've been forgetting all these years! My friend used to make the best baked Mac and cheese (no cream, just a little milk) and I could never duplicate it. Now I remember her secret ingredient -- the dry mustard. Thanks, Ruthy! And love the fur faces in that photo -- tis the season for peace and good will after all.

    ReplyDelete