Thursday, December 3, 2020

Fried Cake Debate Rages On!

When you own a pumpkin farm, it only seems right to have fried cakes, but I'm gonna tell you right now, fried cakes are a very exacting science... But finding the right recipe and using the right oil is clutch in making those mouth-watering treats and we want our customers to love, love, love our efforts. So this means testing. BIG GRIN HERE! But lest you think there is a big reveal here today, there is not. We tried out two recipes. One yeast-based and that recipe is here and I didn't give it chill time, so I'm going to try this again and see if the results are better:

Pioneer Woman Donuts Food Network 


This one is an apple cider fried cake and this one was definitely better but not quite what we are looking for: Apple Cider Doughnuts 

I made it a family project with discriminating bakers and taste-testers. The beauty of having a big family is having a LOT OF TASTE TESTERS!!!!

Mary Ruth and Brody are doing three days of remote school here at the farm. Clearly donut making is part of the 5th grade lesson plan!
 
Here's a glimpse of both in the final stretch: The yeast fried cakes are on the left.... the cake-based apple cider variety is on the right. 


We have months to play but I'm still trying to trim out a ten pound COVID excess, and it's clearly crucial for me to taste everything. :) 

We'll keep you posted as we go!


Multi-published author Ruth Logan Herne is serious about her writing and baking... She loves God, her family, her country and an assortment of fun animals that call the farm home. She owns a popular pumpkin farm in Western New York and embraces the quiet season of winter because she gets more writing time. 

Email Ruthy at loganherne@gmail.com  friend her on Facebook or stop by her website ruthloganherne.com She'd love to hear from you! 

6 comments:

  1. And now I want a doughnut. Those look amazing, Ruthy. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good... but not amazing. I am holding out for amazing, Mindy! And I'm trying peanut oil next time. I think that's a cleaner taste.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Mindy! I want...no...I NEED a doughnut!

    They do look amazing. But I feel so sorry for you, having to taste test all those batches of fried cakes. It's a good thing you have help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! Right????? I pushed donuts on everyone that day. I even drove some to the next town for folks to sample.

      It's tricky to keep them fresh.

      Dough conditioners?

      I am mulling this.

      Or maybe a sour cream apple cider donut? Sour cream has a softening effect on cooked doughs.

      What do you think?

      Delete
  3. Oh, yum!! So funny that just today I ordered a set of doughnut/bagel molds! I will definitely try!

    ReplyDelete