Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Cookbooks Under the Christmas Tree

 

It's been a while since I've bothered looking at any new cookbooks. You guys tease me a lot about my "innovations" in cooking, but the truth is, I've never been much for following recipes. I use them more as a jumping off place.

I imagine the same will hold true with these two cookbooks my daughter requested for Christmas, but the recipes and photos are so amazing that I just wanted to share them with you.


 I had ordered the Oh She Glows for Dinner months ago as a Christmas present, but I liked it so much that I kept it for myself and  sent another one to Maine for my daughter. The recipes in this book just beg you to try them.

There's a recipe for butternut squash, sweet potato and red lentil stew that looks gorgeous! It reminds me of some of the dishes I've experimented with. The recipe for that one is can be found here.

I LOVE mashed potatoes, but the carbs leave me needing protein, so I'm intrigued to try her "Sneaky Protein-Packed Mashed Potatoes." *hint - it involves chickpeas.

There's a smoky black bean veggie burger recipe and something called Sloppy Glows that seems like a lentil-based version of Sloppy Joes.

And so on.

But leave some room for dessert, because here comes Rachel Conners.

Rachel's Bakerita cookbook is just so beautiful! It inspires me to want to make all the things.


If you want to get an idea of some of the recipes, you can check out her website - bakerita.com

I could get lost over there. I'm particularly intrigued to try her recipe for London Fog Tea Latte. Doesn't that sound just perfect for curling up with on a winter afternoon?

There's a recipe for Chocolate Strawberry fudge and one for a grapefruit tart that is simply a work of art!


I could go on raving about all the fabulous recipes, but why don't you go Look Inside yourself - Bakerita

You can even read some of her inspiring story. I'll admit, I immediately felt a connection when I read these opening lines.


Yup. That would be me.

Honestly, after reading these cookbooks, I just want to go shopping and cook amazing foods all day!


How about you? Did anything jump out at you?



Also, I'm excited to say - ONLY TWO MORE DAYS BEFORE MY BOOK RELEASES!!!

Texas Witness Threat




7 comments:

  1. Cate, what fun ideas! I'm looking at coming up with fudge recipes to carry at the farm this year. My winter baking will be figuring out doughnuts... and fudge. So I'll probably gain a gazillion pounds but it might be worth it. I'm not sure if I can pull it off... but that's my winter's goal. The strawberry fudge looks great but there's no way to do fresh fruit in an outdoor venue and keep it fresh, but using oils in fudge to add a fruity undertone is a wonderful thing. Thank you so much for sharing these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I gain a gazillion pounds just looking at the recipes. I can't even imagine if I was doing the testing. ENJOY! You deserve it after all the hard work this summer.

      Delete
  2. One thing I've noticed about new cookbooks: There are always the classics (Joy of Cooking, etc.) but the cookbooks change with the generations. The 40's and 50's have their own recipes, the 70's and 80's seemed modern to me with new ways of cooking, but the recipes and foods are pretty much a new twist on old favorites.

    But this new generation of cookbooks - since around 2005 or so - have been tested and re-tested on blogs and social media. The kinds of foods have expanded, and the combinations are definitely out of the box.

    Does anyone else see a delicious culinary revolution in the works?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you've got me thinking. With all the cooking and baking that people were doing during spring lockdown, I wonder if that will spawn that revolution in a generation that did a lot of eating out and ordering in.
      Not that I'd know much about that part. ;)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the new release, Mary Cate! Woot, woot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what came in my Harlequin order today?! I’m about to start reading! I’ve been on a cookbook library binge — have about ten vegan and alternative dessert type cookbooks and two basic bread books that look really good. Unlike you, I’m not creative in the kitchen and I need instructions!

    ReplyDelete