Monday, December 7, 2020

Mom's Christmas Candy Things

What is it about Christmas that makes us nostalgic?

One of my Facebook friends posted a question: if you could go anywhere in place or time, where would you go?

I thought about fabulous places in history or wonderful scenic beauties...but then I thought, "I just want to go home. Back fifty or sixty years to the time when I didn't know much outside my small world, just so I could give my mom a little girl hug."


The reality is that it is impossible - 

although sometimes I hope that in heaven we'll be able to fully live in the best memories from our lives over again...

But that's where nostalgia comes in. I was blessed with a happy childhood, and I know my mother had a lot to do with that. Christmas time is when I remember her the most. I find myself talking about her, looking forward to my annual jigsaw puzzle (which I've always disliked, but she and my grandmother loved!) and making the old recipes that we used to make together.

So today I'm sharing one of my mom's favorite Christmas recipes. I suspect it hit the favorites category because it is so easy!

One change though - our weather is different this year than it was back in 2012 when I first shared this post. This year we're still in late fall, with temperatures in the 50's. Quite a difference!

Enjoy!

Mom's Christmas Candy Things

Are you ready for Christmas? We are up here in the north where it's six degrees as I write this. Let me see if I can help you get in the Christmas spirit :)


Cue music...


Light the tree...



...add some ornaments...


  ...it's time for Christmas!!!!






I'm sharing a super-easy-peasy family favorite with you today.

This recipe has been around in our family for at least fifty years - from back in the days when our Christmas tree looked like this:


Don't laugh! Those were the good old days! 

(In case you can't tell, I'm the cute little kid on the right. This picture is from around 1961.)


Mom's Christmas Candy Things

Ingredients:
1 package white almond bark
1 Tablespoon crunchy peanut butter
1 cup salted dry roasted peanuts
1 cup Rice Krispies, or your favorite crisp rice cereal
1 cup miniature marshmallows



Melt the almond bark, following the directions on the package, but be sure you don't let the stuff get too hot - you don't want to melt your marshmallows.

Next, stir in the peanut butter, peanuts and cereal. Finally, mix in the marshmallows.

Drop by spoonfuls onto baking parchment or wax paper.

Decorate with your favorite sprinkles and let them cool.


Now is that easy, or what?


Back to 2020!

As we head toward the end of this incredible year, I find myself reflecting on the past twelve months. What would we have done differently last December if we had known what would take place? I have a feeling I would have hugged people a little more.

What would you have changed last Christmas?



Jan Drexler has always been a "book girl" who still loves to spend time within the pages of her favorite books. She lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her dear husband of many years and their active, crazy dogs, Jack and Sam. You can learn more about Jan and her books on her website, 
www.JanDrexler.com.

7 comments:

  1. I just love that title, Jan. Mom's Christmas Candy Things. That's precious. Yes, so many times food can make us nostalgic. I know there are things I have to make/have at Christmas just because it's always been there. And these sound yummy. I'm sure my grands would gobble these up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they should probably have a different name. Actually, my children call them "Grandma's Christmas Candy Things." LOL!

      My mom loved to make Christmas goodies. I know she would have loved to read all the recipes we share here in the Cafe!

      Delete
  2. I love almond bark recipes.... I love the crunch and the deliciousness and the fun of having trays of sweets... although my waistline is showing the strain of too many cookies!!!! My bad.

    But that will not keep me from trying this, Jan! And I love, love, love that picture of you and your mama... Oh be still my heart. Lovely. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas can do awful things to our waistlines, can't it? But this year I'm choosing not to think about that. I'm making the goodies, but packaging up most of them to go to other houses. That way I still get to enjoy them, but they won't be around to tempt me too much!

      And that picture... It was probably taken on Mother's Day, since my mom is wearing a corsage. I don't remember taking the picture, but I remember the smell of those wooden pews. My dad took another pastorate and we moved from Ohio to Michigan the summer I turned five, so that memory is ancient!

      Delete
  3. Jan, your memories of your mom brought tears to my eyes. What lovely thoughts.

    And this recipe looks sooo good! I'll have to give it a try. I love all the ingredients! Well, except for the marshmallows. haha I might leave those out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS good, Missy. But be sure to substitute something for the marshmallows, because they're what keeps the candy from being a floppy mess. So maybe add more peanuts, or more rice krispies?

      Now the other part of my mind is thinking - who doesn't like marshmallows? It's like not liking chocolate!!! LOL!

      Delete
    2. LOL, Jan! I don't dislike them. I just find them sooo sweet that I can hardly eat them. Which is so funny, because I can actually eat spoonfuls of brown sugar right out of the bag. :)

      Delete